My PO4 is WAY off the charts

• SRC Member

Hi,

I had PO4 value of 2.4 almost a week ago. I added a phosphate remover the next day and now it has only been reduced to half. How long will it take to make it go down to an acceptable level? I've only started using distilled water for water changes very recently (done only once so far)... previously i was just using tap water... but i'm planning to continue using distilled water from now on... i only do once a week water-change (about 10%)...

thanks,

zurc

• SRC Member
are you dosing anything that may add to the high phosphates? Over feeding, overcrowding also adds to the problem. Consider getting a REVERSE OSMOSIS filtration system?

hmmm, i guess i'm guilty of overfeeding... sometimes, i just can't seem to feed them the right amount... as for overstocking, yeah ,i'm guilty too... :) i have a clown, a wrasse, a blue tang (a real ich magnet), a coral beauty, a cleaner shrimp and two snails... anyway i've just installed a fish feeder, now the amount of food is controlled (to some extent)...

• SRC Member
erm..may i ask how do u guys get distilled water?

because i have been using tap water also and there is algae growth in my tank too.. so i suspect my PO4 to be quite high also.

I buy the 1.5l distilled water from Giant Parkway Parade (0.70 cents) and Guardian (0.85 cents). I only have a 2 feet tank, so I don't really need a lot. :)

• SRC Member
feed once a day, and all they can eat for that 5 minutes....dont worry they wont "starve" just make sure you have adequate live rocks to manufacture copepods and amphipods.Do you have deep sand bed system?The fishes can forage for food there

thanks, I'll probably give this 'once-a-day' feeding style over this weekend and see what happens...

I'm just using a domestic canister water filter (Mitsubishi Chemical brand) and my PO4 is almost undetectable (using new Salifert). I guess your high PO4 problem is definitely not caused by your water source but your feeding habit and your system doesn't have sufficient capability to remove PO4. For most of us, PO4 removal medium such as Rowaphos & etc. should always be part of the filtration system. Not something to add in when high level is detected. By then, the accumulation is already way too much for any medium to remove efficiently.

For your case, perhaps you wanna consider a more drastic approach. There are bottled solution out there that can help reduce PO4 significantly... Phosphatbuster or something like that... but that is if you really wanna get rid of PO4 fast.

A 24/7 running FR is a good investment... regardless what water you use :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

I use tap water too... my PO4 is almost 0. Regardless what source your freshwater comes from, you need to invest in Phosphate removal medium in the long term... or else PO4 will surely become a constant problem.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
I use tap water too... my PO4 is almost 0. Regardless what source your freshwater comes from, you need to invest in Phosphate removal medium in the long term... or else PO4 will surely become a constant problem.

Oh, OK. I use Rowas constantly in the tank ;)