tap water bad for health??

hammy

alright... tap water is bad for fishes...

but is singapore tap water bad for health in the long run?

this is what is always on my head whenever i just drink water from the tap straight.

i have no issue with it .. but does it really harm the body in the long run ??

any input??

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

Tap water contain chlorine, particulate, viruses and many other organisms. Chlorine is a bleaching agent. Chlorine kills germs but not some virus.

Boiling of tap water will remove the chlorine but not 100% unless you boil it with the kettle cover open for 30mins. The particulate will still remain.

Some ppls claim do not face any health problem drinking tap water for many years. But we do not know how strong is our body system especially our kidney who do the filteration.

My advise is not to drink direct from tap water, unless you got extra kidney to replace your worn out kidney due to the bleaching from chlorine and filtering foreign material that suppose not to be there.

RO or DI is not good to be consumed by humans continuously as they are way too clean/sterile... you can have it everyday but shouldn't form 100% of your daily water intake.

Sources of my daily water intake (weekday):

1) Office hours - POLAR distilled drinking water (from dispenser)

2) Home - Tap water using domestic filter system

For me, drinking water straight from the tap is not advisable as there are too many sources/reasons tap water can be bad for our health... the water that came out of the water plant can be very clean... but after travelling through miles and miles of pipe works... some new, some 30-yeard old... some running alongside sewer pipes... worst happen at home... if you stay at an old HDB/apartment block, the chances of contamination is extremely high. The contamination can continues all the way to your water outlet (as what explained by bro Ikan83).

So bro Hammy, if it is bad for the fishes/corals = it is bad for us (in the long term).

I used to boil water before putting them into the fridge for chilling, now draw direct from my domestic (Mitsubishi Chemical brand bought from Best) water filter. Remember to change the filter every 7 to 9 months :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

When in army who doesn't drink from tap? People from the older generations where got water purified before drinking? They all lived healthly. :lol:

But only recently they introduced NEWATER... I dunno... it still gives me the creep ;) Mostly psychology <_<

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

I dunno. I prefer tap water than boiled water.. somehow boiled water taste abit dull.. if its re-boiled too many times taste even worst.

Our tap water should be good. If not I think we can sue SAF already.. keep forcing us to drink unsafe water :P..

People who said tap water is not good are usually mums, grandmothers or those who has never been through NS.. thats what I realised.

My theory is too much of good think is gonna weaken our immune systems.. People always said how come younger gen are weaker compared to last time. They never take in consideration parents are getting more paranoid about every little thing which makes kids sick.. <_<

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/