Hailea 1/2HP HC500A Chiller

nakazoru

• SRC Member

Product review for the above, after running for 2 days.

Special feature: Titanium coil (First for China made chiller, I think)

Wattage: 528W @ 1/2HP

Temperature drag down for my tank of 40G, 30 deg to 26 deg in less than 2 hrs. Did not really time the time as I was watching the Gemany-Argentina match... :D

Noise level:

As my tank is in the living room with TV, traffic downstair, the noise is not noticable. If everything is off with low traffic downstair, the chiller kicks in like the sound of a regular refrigerator.

Compare to all the fans I used to use, the noise of the compressor and condensor fan is low.

Kick-in period, depends on the circulation and the pump size, not the chiller so I ignore that.

Kick-in occurs when water temp is 1 deg higher than the temp setpoint.

My verdict, excellent chiller for the price of SGD499 from Aquatic. Some more titanium coil, what to ask for, somemore it is a 1/2 HP.

post-14-1151831214.jpg

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bravo!!! More more more :lol::lol::lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Bro can show a ppix how u connect it and where is it positioned? I am planning for a chiller upgrade and will follow ur review closely :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

The way I test it temporary as I need to rework the piping.

Notice the multimeter, I'm going to see the current measurement during the night to if these China manufacturer lie. :D

I gather that from Bro Fishtalk1517 that the power consumption may not be accurate.

post-14-1151832030.jpg

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Wah!!! Got meter somemore... appreciate if you can inform us if the power consumption is higher than claimed... a very crucial piece of information as not all of us can have access to such meter.

Thanks bro Fishtalk1517!!!

• SRC Member

I also add a digital themostat to the main tank to monitor the temperature distribution within the main tank and the chiller monitor. Juz to be sure the temperature is accurate.

post-14-1151832426.jpg

Equipment:

Live Stock:

Reef:

RIPs (Since June 2005):

Old 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member
Bro can show a ppix how u connect it and where is it positioned? I am planning for a chiller upgrade and will follow ur review closely :)

For now, I add pump to the sump, then to the chiller, then back to main tank.

After I rework the pipe, then it will be return pump -> chiller -> Tank.

I decided to buy Hailea as many reefers says it is the best China made chiller, will monitor over time to see actual verdict. These Chinese reefers base their verdict on the old model hailea chiller and also the most common but low cost RESUN.

Equipment:

Live Stock:

Reef:

RIPs (Since June 2005):

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Well if Hailea is in fact better than Resun... then Hailea is in a very good position already... don't think too many of us will compare it head-to-head to Arctica though, coz each brand captures a different market IMO.

Sump --> Return Pump -- > Chiller -- > Main tank is a very efficient way of running the system... not forgetting that more pumps/powerheads = more heat generation... always wanted to achieve that!

And with your skills in DIY/piping... surely nice nice one lar :lol:

• SRC Member
Well if Hailea is in fact better than Resun... then Hailea is in a very good position already... don't think too many of us will compare it head-to-head to Arctica though, coz each brand captures a different market IMO.

Sump --> Return Pump -- > Chiller -- > Main tank is a very efficient way of running the system... not forgetting that more pumps/powerheads = more heat generation... always wanted to achieve that!

And with your skills in DIY/piping... surely nice nice one lar :lol:

You know the old model sell at more than a grand at reef depot... Dun know why... Maybe bcos in China & HK, it is touted the best value for money... No body complain abt noise... or thermostat problem like RESUN.

As for europe made chiller, I dun really know if the difference is that great. Ppl complain abt RESUN's problem like what I mention above. Other than that, is the titanium coil.

Chiller is really nottin more than a air-con. So most fundamental parts is the same. Unless the manufacturer uses inferior parts, causing noise or inaccurate reading, then the problem will come.

The other issue is power consumption, but making comparision, there is really not much difference with this hailea model. I wonder if a inverted chiller will come soon... ;)

One thing to add is that this chiller comes with 3 easily removable air filter, so maintenance should be a light.

Equipment:

Live Stock:

Reef:

RIPs (Since June 2005):

Old 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

My test setup:

Connect the meter in serial with the chiller as shown....

Hope I haven't forget my electrical theory... :D

post-14-1151856904.jpg

Equipment:

Live Stock:

Reef:

RIPs (Since June 2005):

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Like that also can :bow::bow::bow:

• SRC Member

The result:

Initial kick-in: 2.73A last for some 2 secs.

Stablise @: 2.34A (Rated at 2.4A by Hailea)

Verdict: Hmmmmm they actually tell the truth....

Upon closer inspection, saw the CE marking on the chiller... it is a necessary standard for export to europe... Need to send for inspection b4 getting certification... Guess I wasted my time, but good to know. ;)

post-14-1151857202.jpg

Equipment:

Live Stock:

Reef:

RIPs (Since June 2005):

Old 30G Corner Tank.

The result:

Initial kick-in: 2.73A last for some 2 secs.

Stablise @: 2.34A (Rated at 2.4A by Hailea)

Verdict: Hmmmmm they actually tell the truth....

Emm... very convincing... this is what I call real product review... must brush up my skills already coz I am so so lacking technically :( So what's your power consumption in W?

• SRC Member

Emm... very convincing... this is what I call real product review... must brush up my skills already coz I am so so lacking technically :( So what's your power consumption in W?

Aiyo;

Electrical theory again...

Got to dig out my lecture notes some 10 years back. Dun think I can find it lah. I think something like that.

Vac = 230V

Iac = 2.34A

Vrms = dun know what formula

Irms = dun know what formula

Pavg = Vrms x Irms

Thus the power average... :D

Since the current rating is alright, I guess the manufacturer did not lie abt the power consumption lah. Approx 500W... :rolleyes:

Sorry that I gave up on electrical theory, thus I'm doing automation and programming... :sick: Otherwise I probably be a electrician... :evil:

Equipment:

Live Stock:

Reef:

RIPs (Since June 2005):

Old 30G Corner Tank.

You guys are so so amazing... electrician lah... programming lah... bro Colinsoon can also do an amazing DIY setup... I only know design and there's nothing much I can apply to this hobby except buy nice looking equipments (sometimes useless) and colourful corals... :bow::bow::bow:

Sorry :off:

Wow 500W... that's quite a lot of power consumption :nc:

• SRC Member
You guys are so so amazing... electrician lah... programming lah... bro Colinsoon can also do an amazing DIY setup... I only know design and there's nothing much I can apply to this hobby except buy nice looking equipments (sometimes useless) and colourful corals... :bow::bow::bow:

Sorry :off:

Wow 500W... that's quite a lot of power consumption :nc:

A silly thing to say abt DIYing. Ultimately we juz having good fun in this hobby. ;) I also wish I can do photoshop, freehand etc like designer do... Anyway so many different kind of designer...

As for the high power consumption as you claim. It is really not at all high compare to other brands similar HP chiller. This is a 1/2 HP so it has a potential of chilling at least 150G confortably.

If you look at Arctica Commercial Chiller 1/2HP, it is rated at 600W. Thus I bought this guy. But Arctica Commercial Chiller is an external split unit so it is different.

Also prior to buying a chiller, I did quite a bit on looking at different chiller brand. Power is relative to the amount of time spent on cooling the tank.

Eg: If chiller A rated at 300W runs for 30min in 1hrs, and chiller B rated at 600W runs for 10 min in 1 hrs. The fact is that chiller B consume less power.

Chiller efficiency also determine by the sizing of the pump.....

:D I did the maths already... :whistle

Equipment:

Live Stock:

Reef:

RIPs (Since June 2005):

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Hahaha... you are so so professional lor... must be your job influence :D

So you chilling your water at 26ºC? I am trying to reach that but impossible with my Teco RA240 (225W). So I really need to look at a more decent shiller already as there are many proven benefits for both fishes/corals to be set at 26ºC – 27ºC.

Keep up the amazing review bro!!!

• SRC Member
Hahaha... you are so so professional lor... must be your job influence :D

So you chilling your water at 26ºC? I am trying to reach that but impossible with my Teco RA240 (225W). So I really need to look at a more decent shiller already as there are many proven benefits for both fishes/corals to be set at 26ºC – 27ºC.

Keep up the amazing review bro!!!

Impossible to reach 26deg? :o If yours is a 90G, then it will be juz living on the cliff.

Depending on the equipment you have sometimes causes the temp drag down impossible.

Sometime, the wattage is not a good indication of the ability of the chiller. A better way to read chiller or air-con is by BTU or HP.

1HP = 12000BTU.

Ability for heat transfer...... :D

Equipment:

Live Stock:

Reef:

RIPs (Since June 2005):

Old 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member
Bro Simon, you alway so good in electricity stuff :bow:

Yo bro;

Still want ur trunking??? ;)

Equipment:

Live Stock:

Reef:

RIPs (Since June 2005):

Old 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member
hmmm. maybe its time for me to get a multimeter. cos i am drawing too much current.wanna see if its really drawing more power den STATED.my house's PUB bills went up by 90 bucks.

Cruel Oil is up so not a surprise.... Or maybe need to topup refrigrant or clean the condenser....

i.e the chiller not running efficiently....

Equipment:

Live Stock:

Reef:

RIPs (Since June 2005):

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Great review, but what does a regular refrigerator sound like? I'm after a chiller and Hailea is one of the only brands avaliable in thailand, my biggest critera for selection is noise. Would you recommend this as a quiet chiller?

:thanks:

• SRC Member
Great review, but what does a regular refrigerator sound like? I'm after a chiller and Hailea is one of the only brands avaliable in thailand, my biggest critera for selection is noise. Would you recommend this as a quiet chiller?

:thanks:

Seriously noise is subjective. If you come across any bar fridge or wine chiller, the sound will be similar if not louder.

You may not pay attention to ur fridge but say you open the door to let the fridge heats up, after a while the compressor will kick in, at that instance you hear the compressor and fan sound. I can only say it is not irritating...

I really can't be a judge to the noise, as there is really 2 source in chiller case, compressor and the fan. It will be better if Hailea measure the noise in decibel but I did not see it anywhere in the specs, or I miss it.

I believe it to be in the range of 20-30 db...

Equipment:

Live Stock:

Reef:

RIPs (Since June 2005):

Old 30G Corner Tank.