Redox reading

lyz77

Hehe... it's me again...

My 3 cents

1) I heard 400+ is ideal but according to a LFS, it can be quite hard to reach to that level without the use of an Ozonizer.

2) Water temperature affects ORP readings. Cooler water contains more oxygen.

3) A efficient protein skimmer is a good source of dissolved oxygen.

4) NR1000 (Nitrate Reductor using Bioballs) will bring ORP down, that's why I adjusted mine a little to slow the flow. Don't think it will affect too much as my Protein Skimmer (running using PH2500) can easily replenish the dissolved oxygen consumed by the NR1000.

5) Adding an Ozonizer can raise ORP

6) Lots of water surface movement (gas exchange) can increase ORP

7) Lots of current (usage of wavemaker) can also increase the overall tank water ORP (to ensure more evenly distributed dissolved oxygen).

Hehe... it's 7 cents actually :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

IMO, an ozone generator is the most effective to get the ORP reading up. However, it is best to connect it a controller because too high a very can kill off everything in the tank.

There is another saying that we should not control the ORP in our water. It represent "tank health". A large drop in ORP meant that something is wrong with the water (For example, something died in the tank)

If anyone is interested to get more info, :lol:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-05/rhf/index.php

• SRC Member
What should be the ideal reading on Reodx/ ORP? In the even of higher or lower readings, how should we go about to raise/ lower it?

Kindly advise!  :thanks:

Hmm....

This very much depends on your water volume and the probe you use. :huh:

Well, i cant justified that but with my experience on my tank. When i 1st place my probe in, it is 300+ and easily reached 450 within 1 week. That is the level i stop dosing my ozoniser through my skimmer. And i have to dip my probe with vinegar every week for 5-10mins to keep it at optimal level.

I am comfortable with 450 and found that some of my friend who has lower setting level of 300 - 350mV. So depends on the 1st time you place your probe and without ozone, see your initial setting. I maybe wrong too. :o But setting too high can have adverse effect. So be careful with it. B)

You also need to calibrate your probe too.

During water change will also affect a drop in your ORP level so dont be surprise on it.

Always connect your ozoniser to your air intake of your skimmer. Actually with a T-off is a better option. Other option is through an ozone reactor, which you cannot get it locally. ;)

• 1 year later...
Are you using ozone in the 1st place?

Nope!

My tank is pretty new and my redox level was reading high 300 for about one week after I started stocking up. Thereafter it started to shoot up to about 450. Not too sure if this is telling me anything ? Can someone advice please ? the only adjustment I did was to increase the flow of my Tunze. Thanks.

My tank is pretty new and my redox level was reading high 300 for about one week after I started stocking up. Thereafter it started to shoot up to about 450. Not too sure if this is telling me anything ? Can someone advice please ? the only adjustment I did was to increase the flow of my Tunze. Thanks.

Bro, do a calibration to confirm the reading is right. Usually for new probes, needs a while to stablise. If indeed the reading is that high, good for u! Mine's always hovering around 330-360 kinda reading.

When can go view ur chio chio set up? :eyebrow: