Mandarin Fish

• SRC Member

They are relatively difficult to keep. It is recommended for tank more than 1/2 yrs when pods are in abundance. Though there are pellets eating dragonet, but it really takes time and patients to train them on pellets.

My main tank's pod are now much less after introduction of dragonet. But the sump is a breeding ground for pods. So its food supply is always there. Otherwise I never bother with this guy.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member
  • SRC Member
  • SRC Member

Had a lovely pair about 6 months ago, but the girlfriend passed away.

The lonely male is now feeding on frozen brine shrimp and mysis shrimp.

It's a lovely species to have in a reef tank but only if your tank is mature enough to sustain this creative thro' the period of not taking frozen food. It's gesture, movement and curiosity is fun to watch in the tank.

I'm comtemplating to matchmake a partner for him but understand that if they are not fated, they will fight to the last breath.

My 2 cents.

My Spotted Mandarin has been with me for more than 5 months now... belly portion looks filled (not sunken in)... I guess luck does play a part coz my tank was very new when I first introduced it... I still remember when I bought it from Irwana, I saw it feeding on frozen brine shrimp... that's the reason I net it out... or else wouldn't dare in the first place.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
Had a lovely pair about 6 months ago, but the girlfriend passed away.

The lonely male is now feeding on frozen brine shrimp and mysis shrimp.

It's a lovely species to have in a reef tank but only if your tank is mature enough to sustain this creative thro' the period of not taking frozen food. It's gesture, movement and curiosity is fun to watch in the tank.

I'm comtemplating to matchmake a partner for him but understand that if they are not fated, they will fight to the last breath.

My 2 cents.

:D maybe can tobang ya Mandarin to pair up mine... :rolleyes:;)

• SRC Member
  • SRC Member

Kueytoc, how long is it in your tank? What do they eat?

:D He has been roving in my reef community for more than 6 months liao...always see him chomping on LRs which is important in order to sustain his energy. :rolleyes:

post-54-1152630633.jpg

Mine's a female... I hope she's not a LESBO :pinch:

post-54-1152680085.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Bro,

Do you think a spotted mandarin and a green mandarin can go along ? Very tempted to intro a spotted one in my collection ... who knows may end up with spotted green offspring ....

BTW, what's the coral about the your mandarin ? Chio leh.

Bro,

Do you think a spotted mandarin and a green mandarin can go along ? Very tempted to intro a spotted one in my collection ... who knows may end up with spotted green offspring ....

BTW, what's the coral about the your mandarin ? Chio leh.

The one on top is a Merulina, the one on the left is Green Star Polyps the one on the right is a hitchiker (not a clove, but dunno what) :lol:

• SRC Member

Generally, not advisable to put the pyschdelic and the spotted mandarins together. For fear of aggression.

Mandarins are more suited for mature tanks. When I dismantle my setup due to a long trip, my Mandie couldn't last for more than 2 months in the new environment. :cry2:

One must be prepared not to have aggressive fish in the tank if they wan to keep mandarins. They will compete. And when you train mandarins to eat the commercial fishfood, aggressive fish will lead to competition for food and stress to the mandarin.

• SRC Member
Generally, not advisable to put the pyschdelic and the spotted mandarins together. For fear of aggression.

Mandarins are more suited for mature tanks. When I dismantle my setup due to a long trip, my Mandie couldn't last for more than 2 months in the new environment. :cry2:

One must be prepared not to have aggressive fish in the tank if they wan to keep mandarins. They will compete. And when you train mandarins to eat the commercial fishfood, aggressive fish will lead to competition for food and stress to the mandarin.

Hi sis,

What did ur mandarin feed on?

Thx :)

My take on this is that you can teach Mandarins to accept frozen bloodworms and brineshrimp. The only problem is that you may have to target feed since if there are other aggressive fishes around, because the food will be snatched away while the Mandarinfish is still deciding "should I or shouldn't I?"