Difference between 6500K and 10000K?

wedgee

• SRC Member

"OH NO!!!" Not another lighting question??? Heheh, afraid so...

Need some clarification here regarding PL lights; 6500K and 10000K wats the difference? Issit just the color (visually) or does it affect the type of corals dat i can keep?

I just ordered 55W 6500K light hood from Nature- he said he didnt bring in 10000K 55W PL cause they had some 'manufacturer' fault inherent (Aqualux)... I've been using 36W 10000K for one month, and i like the white it produces, so if possible, would have to look for 10000K 55W instead of getting the 6500K from him...

Anyone knows where to get different types of PL light? From dat Sim Lim shop issit?

THANX

• SRC Member

I know little about PL, but other than MH, the colour temperature for lower output light is mainly for aesthetics and don't serve much function. As long as they are higher than 6500K, they are all usable to keep corals. So for PL, different colour temp tubes have different amount of blue which is only important to the eye, but the intensity of light may vary slightly.

Colour temperature for MH bulbs have an effect on the pigmentation of corals, so different bulbs will give different coloured corals, but growth is still governed mainly by intensity.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

6500k has peaks in the greens and reds. It also has a high peak in blue but your eyes can't see it because the green and red is overpowering it.

It appears yellowish green.

10,000k has more peaks in the blue spectrum, so it appears more whitish blue. It has a cool white look which a lot of reefers like.

From my past PL experience, don't waste money on 10,000k as the price diff is a lot to a 6500k... just use that money on actinic 03 PL bulbs to offset the yellow light from the 6500k.

• SRC Member
6500k has peaks in the greens and reds. It also has a high peak in blue but your eyes can't see it because the green and red is overpowering it.

It appears yellowish green.

I'm not sure if this is true for anything except the Iwasaki 6500K bulbs. Different bulbs will give different spectrum profiles.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

hey wedgee!

keep us updated ok?

i assume u are getting lights for a 2 footer?

i'm currently using 1x36w pl 10000k and another 36w pl 50/50 65000k

i'm thinking of getting a blue actinic tube for colour but i don't think another tube hood can fit on my tank...

hehe

• SRC Member

Actually me getting it for my 3 footer; 2x55W PL 6500K, and i have 2 more hood for my FL actinics (guess i'm obsessed with the 'blue' reef look!!! :D

Will keep u posted abt the lights-gotta wait though, cause i getting them on bonus-day!!! eheheh :P

--Btw Ryan, have u got any problems with the 50/50 PL? My actinic PL sucks, making my bubble coral bleach and promotes hair algae!!!