stevenmukoo

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Feed less, water change and maybe add Nitrifying Bacteria as intructed :lol:

I'm running a Nitrareductor and my Nitrate is maintained at an undetectable level all the time... I personally don't think Rowaphos or Sorb-4 will help as they are mainly Phosphate removal media... you may want to try out Nitrate removal solution instead... such as NitrateLock & etc.

Check reefdepot.com.sg

But using liquid is a short term solution, you still need to cultivate enough bacteria (preferably anaerobic) to be able to break down Nitrate to Nitrogen.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

how do i get those anaerobic cos i understand that they not suppose to have contact with oxygen...?

Yupe that's the tricky part... that's why a Nitratreductor is basically a device that will cultivate anaerobic bacteria by starving them off oxygen (by placing them in a dark, air-tight containment... feeding very low water... 1 to 2 drop per second).

It's almost impossible to achieve this relying on biohome or other brands by simply placing them into your sump. Those sump bacteria housing can break down Ammonia to Nitrite, Nitrite to Nitrate... but the cycle will stop there. AquaMedic Cerapore (equivalent of Biohome) claim to have porous core to allow anaerobic bacteria to grow in its core... now that's just a claim lah!

Another method is to rely on LR... but lots of LR... deep down inside the core of the LR, anaerobic bacteria will resides but it will definitely take longer than a Nitratreductor environment where it is better controlled. That's why it takes months to properly matured a tank... and growing the right kind of bacteria is part of the reason :lol:

Macroalgae (with Refugium) will also help but you need a large amount of them to make an impact!

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

nitrate reading 100

is already becoming toxic suggest you do an immediate water change

there are a few ways to reduce nitrate levels

1. use a chemical like AZNO3, costs about $40 one bottle, seems rather effective, however encroaches on tank redox(oxygen) levels do not run with ozone generator

2. de-nitrator

3. reduce feeding; fish are ok with every other day feeding, change filter wool immediately

4. refugium, with surface area as big as your main tank itself, the plants will consume the nitrate as fertilliser, this takes time and you will need to provide a strong light source.

5. more efficient skimming, remove waste even before it gets broken down into nitrate, wet skimmate is more efficient than dry dark skimmate.

like jervismun said bacteria complete the nitrogen cycle turning nitrate into nitrogen gas, only in an anaerobic state( no oxygen) , in this case you would need a deep sand bed, of 6 inches in depth.

water change is still the cheapest yet fastest way to improve your critical situation, moreover it will replenish other elements consumed in the tank.

• SRC Member
it is a 4ft by 2 ft by 2.5 ft main tank , sump 3ft filled with bio ball .. coral chips and ring

hihi Steven

I hv the similar setup as u many yrs ago... its the bio balls, coral chips n rings that is the nitrate factory... what i did was in addition to water change, i replace the bioballs etc with liverocks... u'll be surprised how effective these are in producing nitrates...now i dont even put anything in my sump except the FR... may start a small refugium instead in the sump with chaeto for nuitrient export

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

Yupe that's the tricky part... that's why a Nitratreductor is basically a device that will cultivate anaerobic bacteria by starving them off oxygen (by placing them in a dark, air-tight containment... feeding very low water... 1 to 2 drop per second).

It's almost impossible to achieve this relying on biohome or other brands by simply placing them into your sump. Those sump bacteria housing can break down Ammonia to Nitrite, Nitrite to Nitrate... but the cycle will stop there. AquaMedic Cerapore (equivalent of Biohome) claim to have porous core to allow anaerobic bacteria to grow in its core... now that's just a claim lah!

Another method is to rely on LR... but lots of LR... deep down inside the core of the LR, anaerobic bacteria will resides but it will definitely take longer than a Nitratreductor environment where it is better controlled. That's why it takes months to properly matured a tank... and growing the right kind of bacteria is part of the reason :lol:

Macroalgae (with Refugium) will also help but you need a large amount of them to make an impact!

if we put biohome...etc..or other bio materials....in a tupperware box/plastic box wif a few small holes....and place in the sump ....do u guys think this way can cultivate anaerobic bacteria better???

Emm... very interesting experiment I must say... it might work you know?

But if you do have the space inside your sump, why not have a Deep Sand Bed of 6" and more? You can even have some Chaetos near the surface to further export more Nitrate :lol: Something that I might experiment with my new setup.

• SRC Member

can just put the liverocks in yr main tank n leave the sump for stuff like FR, carbon, rowa etc etc plus refugium lah.. removing he bio balls will in the long run be better

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

Bro if you only have 2 choices (as given by you)... then you actually only have 1 choice as Biohome is not effective in getting rid of Nitrate... Biohome creates Nitrate :shock::shock::shock:

As for Denitrator... I am pretty happy with my current AquaMedic Nitratreductor 1000 with Dosing Pump SP3000. The problem is... it may take a while for the bacteria to grow... but your very high Nitrate level can speed things a bit... do allocate around $500 for a proper denitrator setup. You can look at Deltec too.

Allow at least 1 1/2 weeks for a bio-ball based Denitrator to kick-in. Sulphur based are more powerful but harder to tune and maintain (in other words more pro).

denitrator works better but it cost a lot in long term maintaining it..... biohome does not remove nitrate greatly than denitrator, it only control , and it is not cheap , but is good for long term investment as u need not replace it.

i may not be right...juz my views :)

Let me set this clearly (do let me know if my limited knowledge is not entirely correct):

1) Anaerobic bacteria breaks down Nitrate to Nitrogen. Do not see all bacterias as the same as they are different. Always remember ANAEROBIC!!!

2) Anaerobic bacteria can colonize everything from LR to biohome to coral chip to bioballs... everything... but in order for them to be called Anaerobic, they have to be in a condition lacking of oxygen. They will be forced to consume carbon dioxide instead (if I'm not wrong) and break down Nitrate as a result.

3) Now, you need to create that low-oxygen environment... as long as you can create a low oxygen environment within your system, any media will work (of course some better than others).

As a rough/general guide:

Nitrifying bacteria: Ammonia --> Nitrite --> Nitrate

Anaerobic bacteria: Nitrate --> Nitrogen (dispersed to the air)

It's actually not too confusing... just need to understand the 2 different types of bacterias.

I can explain a bit more how my AquaMedic NR1000 works once the above is clearly understood... perhaps later.

Important: Determined as I sound, I'm still learning... I just want to sound confident... not to further confuse you guys.

• SRC Member

yes this is what i know...too...

As a rough/general guide:

Nitrifying bacteria: Ammonia --> Nitrite --> Nitrate

Anaerobic bacteria: Nitrate --> Nitrogen (dispersed to the air)

so whihc mean that for a long term solution , it will be better to used a denitrator .. am i right to says that... ??

well....if on budget, its best not to get one as its not cheap to maintain one.

A denitrator is very hard to tune and you have to restart everytime you tune it wrongly. IMO, a denitrator is better left to the very very experienced reefer.