distilled water

Hi Guys,

I have been reading the threads about distilled water. Decided to go with it. Cant seem to get the phosphates and nitrates down. Did tapwater change 20% 20% after tank cycled (Tank still empty,only LR and coral sand ) Need some advise.

Would i be harming the tank if i were to replace 20% of the existing tank water, with Distilled water every 3 days or so with no live stock inside?

Do i need to use my Seachem Prime for the distilled water changes?

I also heard that distilled water is not advisable for reef tanks as it lacks certain essential minerals. Any truth in that?

Sorry about the questions as i am still very new to this hobby and would like to try and get it right the first time round.

Thanks in advance guys :bow:

• SRC Member

Hi,

I'm currently using distilled water for water changes (mixed with Red Sea Salt) as well as for topping-up. For water changes, you don't really have to worry much, coz the minerals from the salt should be able to fill-in the missing elements. For top-ups, i add a mineral supplements (those almost all-in-one mix and Ca) as well as ph buffer (bottled distilled water has a ph of around 7.0-7.4, i think) to "enrich" the water.

As for the missing elements, what I can say is that, it's easier to top-up or enrich the elements in a distilled water rather than remove unwanted elements in tap water. Just my 2 cents... :)

That said, I'm also new to this hobby (abt 3 months), so if I've mentioned something wrong, I would very much appreciate to be corrected.

zurc

• SRC Member
Hi Guys,

I have been reading the threads about distilled water. Decided to go with it. Cant seem to get the phosphates and nitrates down. Did tapwater change 20% 20% after tank cycled (Tank still empty,only LR and coral sand ) Need some advise.

Would i be harming the tank if i were to replace 20% of the existing tank water, with Distilled water every 3 days or so with no live stock inside?

-replace evaporated water with distilled water, its essentially the same as evaporated water is also distilled water. Use the distilled water to mix the salt, to do a water change. Since there is nothing in the tank then there is no harm changing all the water at once, just have enough water standby to cover the replaced water. You are at the start of the hobby do everything right from the get go then there will be less headaches in future. If you want to do 20-30% at each time can also, but you will end up using much more salt and more distilled water. eg, imagine a tank with 10ppm nitrate 20%change so left 8 ppm, another 20% change left 6.4ppm, another 20% left 5.12 ppm, another 20% 4.096, another 20% 3.2768. effectively you have changed 100% of water but still 3.2ppm of nitrate left.

Do i need to use my Seachem Prime for the distilled water changes?

-distilled water is pure no need for extra work, provided that it is really distilled.

I also heard that distilled water is not advisable for reef tanks as it lacks certain essential minerals. Any truth in that?

- nope no truth in that, it is precisely this that you want the distilled water for.. it is pure !! :yeah: your minerals will come with the synthetic salt and trace elements in the synthetic salt.

Sorry about the questions as i am still very new to this hobby and would like to try and get it right the first time round.

- thats the right attitude

Thanks in advance guys :bow:

-no prob :D

:peace:

• SRC Member

IMHO, cycling is to help cultivate bacteria in your LR or filter media. You will need to monitor the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. This is to check if the nitrogen cycle is taking place in your tank. If nitrogen cycle is there, then I believe you can do a water change and slowly start to stock up your livestock while watching your water parameters. The more important checks on your water parameters will most likely be pH, KH, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite for starters. If you have corals, then need to check your calcium, magnesium. Of cos there are more water tests to perform but these are the few basic ones to start with. Just my 5cents worth... :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

if the nitrates are going up then most likely the cycle is complete, so i do not see any problems. Besides you are recommended to do a big water change after the ANN cycle is complete.

so doing a water change with distilled water mixed in synthetic salt is no problem

just to reliterate water change must be wif synthetic salt,

- "if i change all the water to distilled at once?"

- sounds like you want to change all tank water to only distilled water with no synthetic salt, dont ok ?

;)

Hi,

Thanks once again Sapp and Fongster for the speedy reply. Really appreciate it. So the cycling process is to cultivate bacteria in the filter medium and live rocks only, my nitrates is going up and i also have lotsa brown algae on the glass, ammonia and nitrite has been 0. Phosphates are high....very high...maybe bec i only did a 30% water change after the cycle was completed. he he he.

Now that i know that its safe to do a 100% water change and replace it with distilled water, and synthetic salt, i will be doing it within this few days. Do i have to wait a certain period before i can add any livestock after the 100% water change?

Cheers:

:bow:

• SRC Member

no you do not need to wait to add livestock, you can start to add after your water 100% change, but do add slowly

recommended is one fish per week

you have skimmer already?

you also can get some activated carbon to make your water clearer and free of smell.

HI,

Thanks Fongster, my tank is a jbj nano 24 Gal, unfortunately cant fit a skimmer sob, sob, so probably have to be on the ball with water changes, he,he.

would it be a good time to add live sand to my existing thin layer of coral sand?

So sorry for all the questions.

Cheers:

:thanks:

• SRC Member

wah no skimmer ?

cannot make it leh....

your nitrates will rocket

i can understand your apprehension if you have to include a pump inside your tank but ever considered hang on top skimmers?

yah can add your sand anytime

no problem

any questions just ask k ?

or check out www.wetwebmedia.com

informative site

Hi Fongster,

Thanks Again, was thinking about it but unfortunately the nano cube does not leave any space for hang on skimmers. Was also thinking of the nano skimmers, but not sure if they are effective.

Would you recommend a live sand DSB for a 24 Gal nano tank?

Heard that it traps nitrates.

Cheers:

• SRC Member

dsb no, it is a ticking time bomb, dirt will get trapped in the sand and in time to come.. like 6 mths or more may stretch the limits of your tank survivablilty.

nope it does not trap nitrates, nitrates are in the water not in the sand

for the dsb to be effective to convert nitrate to nitrogen gas, the bacteria need a anaerobic condition, so at least 6 inches of sand. that is alot of sand.. and alot of wasted space for your nano tank

• SRC Member

sori mate whats the dimension of yr 24 gal nano? Its best if u can fit in a skimmer somewhere... not necessary inside the tank or hangon.. u may be able to hv it on table beside even ... but a skimmer will be a big help even if its one of those air stone driven one

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :