ATI Twister M Protein Skimmer

jervismun

Let's see some bubbles... the skimmer is producing quite a bit of microbubbles considering the water is quite low in density at the moment 1.020... I've already added more salt to the tub and hopefully can see more bubbles at 1.025... as this is a new salt mix, there isn't much (if not nothing) to skim while the Twister®M kicks in...

Once the density reaches 1.025, I will post another pix, then I will do another experiment on my side before packing it up... ready for the reat test in another reefer's tank.

Bro Lyz77 will have the honour of testing out the Twister®M... I chose his sump has plenty of space to accommodate my Baby and his tank volume is more or else similar to my new tank. He also shares the same passion and enthusiasm in writing reviews... I'm sure his input can further help make this product review more all-rounded and impartial.

Must :thanks: bro Lyz77 for giving my Baby a chance to "roar" :lol::lol::lol:

post-14-1154134122.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While waiting... took the oppotunity to test the volume of skimmate the collection cup is designed to hold... well... more than 3000ml :lol::lol::lol:

post-14-1154136311.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Okay the water density is finally 1.025... now it's time for the first test :lol:

I poured in skimmate from my Deltec MCE600 (10 hours of skimming)... the camera recorded 8.55am :)

Let's see how long it takes for the Twister®M to kicks-in :heh:

post-14-1154136609.jpg

Well... slightly more than 15 minutes is all it takes :lol:

post-14-1154136694.jpg

Here's a better look at the skimmate :)

post-14-1154136798.jpg

Another shot taken at 9.12am :)

post-14-1154137006.jpg

Now how long it takes for Twister®M to remove the 10 hour skimmate (by my Deltec MCE600) off the water?

20 minutes... all it takes... now I need to find new ways to create foam!!! ;)

10 hours of skimmate ---> 20 minutes

Please note that this experiment is for the sole purpose of seeing my Twister®M kicks-in... no intention of comparing the 2 skimmers as the MCE600 is a high performance baby... it's important to understand that the environment the 2 skimmers are in is completely different and the water volume Twister®M is sitting right now is probably 1/8 of the main tank.

However, it is interesting to note that the Deltec MCE600 is rated for 700 Liters (Twister®M rated 1000 Liters)

post-14-1154137540.jpg

New ways of creating FOAM!!!

I have this bottle of Concentrated Phytoplankton in my freezer for 6 months now... might as well make good use of it before it goes down the chute :lol:

As you all know... this brand of Concetrated Phytoplankton is really concentrated... so I intend to colour my tub GREEN :sick::sick::sick:

post-14-1154138203.jpg

Wow... I have use up almost 1/3 of the bottle... now SHOW ME THE BUBBLE!!!

As you can see on the skimmer neck... there's nothing more in the water left for it to skim... well not for long :evil::evil::evil:

post-14-1154138340.jpg

9:46:56 (46 seconds later)... the entire tub is like a disaster zone... 100x algae disaster :lol::lol::lol: In less than a minute, the green is already showing in the raising foam :)

post-14-1154138675.jpg

Wanna see GREEN FOAM? Sure... 1 minute (upon introduction of Green) :yeah:

This guy is so responsive... everything happen within split second... most minutes... I can barely keep up :eyebrow:

post-14-1154138902.jpg

10 minutes later...

post-14-1154139150.jpg

One thing I like most about this protein skimmer is its PLUG AND PLAY simplicity... (also mentioned in some German reviews)... basically there's nothing to tune... no need... just place it in your sump, plug it in, sit back and enjoy the view :lol:

I recently read a review by an experienced reefer... he bought a super skimmer and it took the entire forum a couple of days to be able to help him tune up his skimmer ;)

post-14-1154139286.jpg

Now how long it takes for Twister®M to remove the 10 hour skimmate (by my Deltec MCE600) off the water?

20 minutes... all it takes... now I need to find new ways to create foam!!! ;)

10 hours of skimmate ---> 20 minutes

Please note that this experiment is for the sole purpose of seeing my Twister®M kicks-in... no intention of comparing the 2 skimmers as the MCE600 is a high performance baby... it's important to understand that the environment the 2 skimmers are in is completely different and the water volume Twister®M is sitting right now is probably 1/8 of the main tank.

However, it is interesting to note that the Deltec MCE600 is rated for 700 Liters (Twister®M rated 1000 Liters)

Hi Bro,

Twister®M rated 1000 Liters with heavy stocks? :eyebrow: About up to 4.5 x 2 x 2ft tank? :rolleyes: Looking for sk now to replaced my hungry BECKETT which consuming lots of watts. :cry2:

Twister®M rated 1000 Liters with heavy stocks? :eyebrow:  About up to 4.5 x 2 x 2ft tank?  :rolleyes:  Looking for sk now to replaced my hungry BECKETT which consuming lots of watts. :cry2:

Hi Sean

As the information for this skimmer is still scarce (and mostly German)... and the fact that the ATI pump I am running now is so so new (ATI only announces this pump to the German public 15 July 06)... currently the only information I got indicates that the ATI Twister®M can support up to 1000 Liters.

So I guess the 1000 Liters cap is for medium stocking... but if you do have a higher demand (since you are so used to the Beckett skimmate)... you should consider the ATI Bubble Master instead. Consumes no more than 45W and it can support up to 3000 Liters!!!

There's a Bubble Master running at AquaMarin show tank... and I like what I see there :lol:

Thanks Jervismun

You're welcome... ok I think I've created enough mess in a single morning... will drain the tub, clean the Twister®M... get ready to transfer to bro Lyz77's beautiful custom tank tomorrow morning... will post some progress pictures tomorrow... meanwhile... I welcome any discussion on this product as I am dying to share and hear from you guys...

Being the first is exciting... but a long and lonely path out there :cry:

Jervis, do you need to set the water level in the skimmer?

Nope... nothing to set... as long as the water in the sump is within its working range... got a feeling the range can be quite flexi... will test further on this :) The simplicity of this guy is quite a delight actually :)

Let me share this interesting posting by Bluereef (Zeovit.com) from Croatia.

He (I suppose) lives by the sea, so immediately after purchasing the Twister®M (running the old Eheim pump), he test the skimmer in a 20 gallon tub of Natural Sea Water.

Here's a pix of his Twister®M after 5 minutes of firing-up :)

Note that his water level is much lower than my testing tub... so this confirms that the range of acceptable water level is quite broad.

post-14-1154146757.jpg

The Twister®M 5 minutes later :lol:

He said his skimmer comes with Eheim 1250 IIRC.

post-14-1154146989.jpg

I also found this on the same Zeovit.com thread... some of the reefers are concerned of the maintenance of the THREADWHEEL...

Unfortunately the Twister®M doesn't come with an Airflow Meter (I heard it is an optional item)... <_<

But it is very true that removing the pump is so so simple... no screwing, no tightening, whatsoever... just slot it into the rubber connector... that's all!!! Will try to show more pix on this to give you guys a clearer picture.

post-14-1154147718.jpg

• SRC Member

Thks to bro Jervis for giving me this opportunity to test out the Twister as I'm oso considering to replace my existing skimmer! :bow: Hope that I can live up to his expectation!!! :lol:

It will definitely give all of us a good insight of how this beauty will work! B4 we start, I will list out the specs of my tank in order to have a clearer pics of the entire setup!

Main tank: 36"(L) x 36"(W) x 30"(H)

EOS: 28"(L) x 12"(W) x 30"(H)

Sump: 48"(L) x 24"(W) x 18"(H) - Water level maintaining at 1 ft height

1) 6 x Anthias

2) 1 x Blue Tang

3) 1 x Moorish

4) 1 x Lemon Peel Angel

5) 2 x Leopard Wasse

6) 1 x Algae Blenny

7) 2 x Dragonet

8) 3 x Clownfish

9) 1 x Yellow-head goby

Mushroom, Yuma, SPS & Hammer....

• SRC Member

tis ting looks promising for timebeing, since its stil veri new, i mean the threadwheel.

but how long does tis mesh at the impeller can survive...?? imo it will wear out fast as the tis mesh is not tat solid.... :angel:

tis ting looks promising for timebeing, since its stil veri new, i mean the threadwheel.

but how long does tis mesh at the impeller can survive...?? imo it will wear out fast as the tis mesh is not tat solid.... :angel:

I think it's a yes and no to your opinion... yes the THREADWHEEL looks fragile (have to agree with you)... on the other hand... due to the brittleness of most NEEDLEWHEELs out there... a lot of reefers find it frustrating that they keep breaking... over here... the mesh won't break :) Well... really need to put this guy to the test (locally). This product has been tested in Germany for more than half a year already :)