my first attempt at Marine

tjchan

Hi guys (and gals),

Just started my tank a few days ago. Added LRs today thanks to bro zing and bro haloha who sold them to me them cheaply.

Tested pH and kH only at 8.1 and 9 respectively. Temp is at 29-30(no fan yet).

Tank Specs:

Size: 24" by 16" by 16"

Lighting: Dymax 4 x T5HO 24W

Filtration: Eheim 2215 (biohome and Ceramic Rings) w/ jebo 9w UV light.

Wavemaker: Seio 620

Misc: Red Sea Prizm Skimmer and Skimz FR (atman 600 l/hr)

LRs about 15kg.

3" thick grade 1 coral sand.

post-34-1154182664.jpg

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

remind mi when i first set up my marine too.

but i set up with a air stone skimmer .

anyway happy cycling the tank.

patience is the words, have u gotton ur test kits ?

maybe u can put ur wave maker nearer to water surface to create more surface agitation and maybe u can hook up eheim surface skimmer to ur 2215

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

maybe u can put ur wave maker nearer to water surface to create more surface agitation and maybe u can hook up eheim surface skimmer to ur 2215

oops i saw the TOM's surface skimmer there .

go straight for the profantec fan or sona, strong and powerful

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

oops i saw the TOM's surface skimmer there .

go straight for the profantec fan or sona, strong and powerful

yah. gonna get the 8cm profantec fan as soon as i'vealmost finished my cycling... then get ready toreceive my pm.... :evil:

Not bad for first attempt... Red Sea Skimmer some more :lol: In a few more days, can start testing Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

yah. gonna get the 8cm profantec fan as soon as i'vealmost finished my cycling... then get ready toreceive my pm.... :evil:

what do u intend to keep :)

i used prizm before ... it is quite okie except noisy :D

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Not bad for first attempt... Red Sea Skimmer some more :lol: In a few more days, can start testing Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate.

thanks. not as impressive as your tank. :P . I'm just trying to get the proper equipments so that I won't have to keep upgrading in future to keep up with my tank. think it's ok to just go for the nitrate test kit? test kits costs a bomb... :blink:

what do u intend to keep :)

i used prizm before ... it is quite okie except noisy :D

planning to keep mostly zoos, yumas, shrooms and maybe favia and hammers.... see how it goes first.... fish wise i'm not sure yet. maybe a clam or 2... haha...

think it's ok to just go for the nitrate test kit? test kits costs a bomb... :blink:

Emm... yes test kits are exp... but not advisable to go straight to Nitrate. Maybe can skip Nitrite. But Ammonia is essential... coz it is the most toxic of all and it can be a matter of live and death for your fishes and corals. If you think Salifert is too costly, can also go for other more economical brand. Better to get readings than not to get at all.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

thanks. not as impressive as your tank. :P . I'm just trying to get the proper equipments so that I won't have to keep upgrading in future to keep up with my tank. think it's ok to just go for the nitrate test kit? test kits costs a bomb... :blink:

hmm... not excactly very good to just have nitrate testkit.

cal/mg/po4 can come later but ammonia and nitrite is more toxic than anything

actually one good thing about prizm is that u can upgrade it to a deluxe version and ur tank will look real neat

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Emm... yes test kits are exp... but not advisable to go straight to Nitrate. Maybe can skip Nitrite. But Ammonia is essential... coz it is the most toxic of all and it can be a matter of live and death for your fishes and corals. If you think Salifert is too costly, can also go for other more economical brand. Better to get readings than not to get at all.

hmmm.... have to think about it.... maybe get a stick on wall cheap ammonia indicator? haha....

anyway.... fish first or corals first?

• SRC Member

hmmm.... have to think about it.... maybe get a stick on wall cheap ammonia indicator? haha....

anyway.... fish first or corals first?

IMO, Corals first. Cos not all fishes are reef safe. Easier to get corals first then decide what fish to put.

• SRC Member

happy reefing and hope that you will enjoy and also go crazy abt it also... haha...

I will recommend you to get salifert cos some of the test kit does not give accurate result.

Ti start you will need ammonia, nitrate and ph test kit .

If you want to have coral the min. to have is the above mentioned and also calcium , KH, phosphate and magnesium (optional).

It is always very important to have a gud start for marine tank if not next time you will have lots of headache.

and if you are looking for product review can ask jervismun. ( Kanan arrow) :whistle

happy reefing and hope that you will enjoy and also go crazy abt it also... haha...

I will recommend you to get salifert cos some of the test kit does not give accurate result.

Ti start you will need ammonia, nitrate and ph test kit .

If you want to have coral the min. to have is the above mentioned and also calcium , KH, phosphate and magnesium (optional).

It is always very important to have a gud start for marine tank if not next time you will have lots of headache.

and if you are looking for product review can ask jervismun. ( Kanan arrow) :whistle

dun wanna ask bro jervis la... else he always give super hi-end reviews i see already also giddy... :D

i got salifert pH and kH test kits liao.... hmm.... time to invest a bit more.... :pinch:

Hey... don't mention my name until like that lah... yes you should change your skimmer to Deltec MCE600!!! :D

• SRC Member

maybe u can put ur wave maker nearer to water surface to create more surface agitation

What is the purpose of surface agitation? for oxegen?

My Reefing Mission:-

To manage the waters and lights with efficient resources, disciplined husbandry and prograsive knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...