Are we reef killer?

little bull

• SRC Member

Does anyone come across any remarks like, "Wow! you keep marine? Do you have Coral? Wow!!.. you are actually destroy the marine reef.. when I go diving, I saw so many dead corals.... " :blink:

Do you agree the remark above? What would you respond?

er ... ' with increased global warming , there will be no more coral soon ..., we are the only one who can conserve coral ...'

heh heh, dont even know whether it is true , maybe in self defence ... :P

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

:D:D

less than 1% of the coral removed/ dead in the sea is for the hobit so dont feel too bad for it... (1% might also be a lot in kg though)

<_< more of my concerns are the fish... cleaner/ tile/ etc that have very slim chances of surviving... we shall really stop buying those fish that we cant keep successfully....

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

Honestly, this hobby is really not doing a good service to the nature. Although its right IMO our hobby doesn't cause that vast or big dmg to the coral, but its still damage being done nevertheless.

These water-borne life forms should be live in the ocean, even their habitat is degrading. But nature have a responsive system by themself. Within their natural habitat, the life forms --may--l adjust to new environment chgs, its called evolution.

Keeping them in our tank, that's not --saving-- their life act at the best.

With the lifeforms gone in the world, and with your pets living crazy happyily on your tank won't --revive-- the population in the nature anymore.

Extinct doesn't mean when the lifeform is downed to zero.

Life form considered extinct when the remaining # can no longer sustain a positive growing\stable population in the open for coming generations.

Well... since when human activities do not impact nature in one way or another... especially controversial when it comes to HOBBY related:

For example:

1) Golfing - How many trees have to come down to create a golf resort? Oh those poor animals that lost their habitats...

2) Diving/Snorkling - They leave wastes behind, the boats that take them there pollutes the surrounding, even their anchors damage the reef ;)

3) Travel - They just discovered, air trails left by aircraft turbines (at night especially) contributes significantly to global warming :ooh:

The list will go on and on...

So am I guilty of destroying nature? Well that's depending on which angle you looking at it... if building a house by the lake or generating electricity from hydroelectric dam are considered destroying nature... then perhaps I am guilty.

I believe our knowledge and passion in this hobby will lead us to somewhere... perhaps preparing ourselves to conservation work and etc. in the future.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica