new to nano reef

• SRC Member

Cannot use any wood cabinet cos it might not be able to support the weight. Normally, they use Chengai wood. You can use metal stand. Just do a good paint job (4-5 coats) and you should be quite safe from rust.

can any wood cabinet be used for tank? i find that tank with cabinet cost a bomb, especially for student like me. Haven't learn to earn money already learn to spend money liao :pinch: can someone help over here?

I wouldn't compromise on the quality of the tank and the cabinet. Any misfortune can be disastrous for you and your family. LS gone aside, it can cause major floor damage, flooding of furniture, power trip and major screw-up from your family (for sure).

As suggest by bro Sapp, if budget is really a concern, I'll suggest you go for a proper aquarium metal stand (yes they do look rather ugly)... apply proper coating (to protec from saltwater). If you are good at DIY, can also construct some wooden panels to wrap round it. Check out bro Colinsoon's tank thread under the members section as he did a wonderful job making his DIY cabinet & hood look pro.

I still think you should consider the Pasar Malam section. I was like you when I first started... trying to be different and spent $xxxx on a non-sump setup. Regret it almost instantly... really. It's so hard to fit in all the equipments without creating an eyesore. I am now setting up a tank with a huge sump :lol:

And don't attempt to put your tank on any furniture pieces... they are not designed for such weight :pinch:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Agree with Bro Jevis.

What you are planning now is exacting what I did in the beginning. Was running a Rena cannister filter. Felt that I was not going anywhere with that setup and decided to change it to incorporate sump. That allowed me to put in a FR, Carbon and a better skimmer. Found that my LS are more healthy after the change and I have 0 casulty so far for new addition to my tank. Only drawback, the eq. are placed outside the cabinet cos no space... 2ft is not very big. abit ugly but just have to make do. No $$ to upgrade to 3ft for now...

Bottom line is, having a sump will give you more options in the future but its not a must.

• SRC Member

Wat can put in your sump will depend on the size and design of the sump. It can range from liverocks as filter media, FR, CR and your return pump. You should be able to get more info by viewing photos of fellow reefers in the members forum. From there, you can have a rough idea of what you can put in your sump.