Suggestions for tank

Hi,

Recently I've just acquired an external filter. I have in my possession a 2 ft tank and have been thinking of settting up a marine tank. I have also come across one of those hang on skimmers. What I have in mind is to set up the tank with 1 -3 pcs of corals and a few fishes with anaemone.

Any suggestions for a tank with such a combination. I will not be getting a chiller anytime soon. Please advice.

Thanks,

Andrew

• SRC Member

hi andrew.

most people wouldn't go for an external filter if they plan to keep the marine tank for a long run.

a sump tank is a good investment if you are planning on a longterm investment on the marinehobby.

i see no problem if your temperature is below 29 degrees if you plan to keep corals.

an anemone does not require cold temperatures but the best temperature for invertabretes(anemone/snail/shrimp) and fishes is not to exceed the temperature of 31-32 degrees.

hope my little knowledge will be much of help for you.

-Jem

• SRC Member

good advice from jem

just a few things to add on....

singapore ambient room temp is about 30+ deg, so a mini fan could be used to bring down temp 2-3 deg

anemone requires alot of light, you would require a strong light source.

probably a mh

Hi all,

Thanks for your prompt replies. I've looked through the forums, though not all the posts, and have seen several IOS as well as sumps. I'm working only with my 2 ft tank, and currently don't have sufficient space to create such a system.

Currently I have an ehiem 2213 external canister filter, and I intend to get a HOT protein skimmer.

Unless anyone has advice on creating a sump (where to get the tanks drilled and the the glass tank partitioned? I have a spare tank sitting around also.)

Please advise.

Thanks,

Andrew

• SRC Member

i heard that can get glass works done at kelantan road

it would be good if you could get a sump done, sumps have alot of benefits...

-protein usually collects at the top of the water column, but due to the overflow nature of the sump system, this is mitigated

-a bigger system, in litres means a more stable system, the sump increases the volume of the marine system

-more area to put pumps, skimmer what not

-can include refugium or dsb even

a few benefits of a sump

^_^

Hi folks,

Thanks for the advice again.

I've just done up the tank. Previously the sand and the live rocks were in a 1.5 by 1 ft tank. This morning, I moved all of it into a 2 ft tank. The contents have been cycling for 3 months plus already, there is both brown and green algae growth. But, I made an error in the specific gravity of the water in the initial stages. Hence right now I'm gradually increasing the SG of the water.

I'm facing 2 issues now. I am using the Coralife Hydrometer. I know nothing beats a refractometer in terms of simplicity of use and efficiency, but can the hydrometer that I am using be trusted?

Secondly, since I've already set up the main tank, I was thinking of doing up a 1.5 by 1 ft sump. Thing is, how do I get the output flow and input flow right? I've thought of using submersible pumps to transfer the water in and out for filtration. But this would add to the cost. Is there any better and economical way where I can sort it out? Frankly, if I had done up a careful plan of the tank, I would have gotten a 3ft tank with IOS or drilled to include outlet pipes.

Another way out of the situation is to use an external canister fillter plus a HOT protein skimmer. I would consider treading this path when all else fails.

Please advise as usual.

Thanks again,

Andrew

hmmm.....maybe you can use an overflow system to transfer water frm main tank to your sump and use the pump as a return pump......you can find alot of information on how to diy a overflow system in the DIY section.... :D

Well i would suggest tht you can diy a topup system as well.....you can get all equipments at sim lim tower....interested can pm me then i can give you an idea of how to do it...,if i remem correctly...diy topup system will not cost more $50. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Wilson

Is it true only sump can work?

it depends what type of marine tank u wanted to have.....a fully established reef tank u will almost(to what i know) must have a sump to house all your heavy duty equipments.....fish only tank or FOWLR tank can be supported by a canister provided you do not over stock LS.....

Sump allows easy maintainance, u can see for yourself how dirty is the filter media, increase overall tank volume which in turn keep your tank paramenters more stable....

Pls correct me if i am wrong :thanks:

Regards,

Wilson

• SRC Member

I'm facing 2 issues now. I am using the Coralife Hydrometer. I know nothing beats a refractometer in terms of simplicity of use and efficiency, but can the hydrometer that I am using be trusted?

Hi Andrew,

Perfectly fine in using good old fashion hydrometer.

It serve me well till today!

Happy Reefing!