Alternative to low PO4

nakazoru

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
I like to make new sea water from raw tap water and normal marine salt. Then use the FeSO4 to clear the impurities. In this way, we can save money on the DI unit. Can anyone comment on this?

Think DI is still a better choice cos:

1) removes other unwanted impurities as well. not only PO4.

2) cheaper in long run.

3) More convinient.

FeSO4 on the other hand is more to treat the used Saltwater

• 2 weeks later...
Think DI is still a better choice cos:

1) removes other unwanted impurities as well. not only PO4.

2) cheaper in long run.

3) More convinient.

FeSO4 on the other hand is more to treat the used Saltwater

just came back from reservist last week. received a few PMs abt the result of using FeSo4....

The process seems very easy. normally I premix nsw in my 2 ft spare tank for my 4ftx1.5x1.5. This time I retain the usw in a bbq styrofoam ice box. When my 2ft spare tank emptys, I transfer the usw back to the 2ft tank... I dissolve abt 3-5ml of the FESO4 the in DI water and pour into the tank of usw... in 3-5mins... vou la... brownish seawater... seems like wrought iron dust in water liao.... run for another hour, I put filter floss in my hangon filter and let it run for the rest of the day... probably have to rinse my floss once more as I am using recycled floss after main tank use... The usw turns clear as what the bros have mentioned earlier in the post.... very easy... 1kg can use for years man... based on my feel, the processed usw seems very low in PO4... bearing in mind my 4x1.5x1.5 has a 6 inch DSB with mangroves, only no skimmer. I noticed becoz my brown algae on tank glass takes a longer time to grow... I have heavy lps stocking, 12 anthiars, 1 4 inches batik wrasse, medium size YT, BT, convict tang, and 5 inch PBT, 1 damsle, 1 coral beauty. feeding is 4x pellets on timer... regular use of live pyhto, black powder...

so my PO4 should rise very fast... if rowa no change... previously I use 1/2 kg monthly.. jus changed mine to 250g only for this month....

umm.. didnt have a way to test the result becoz I dun have a accurate PO4 testkit.... but bro reefzzz offer to test my water this weekend with his deltec testkit...... will update test result on the processed water....

cheers..

• SRC Member
just came back from reservist last week. received a few PMs abt the result of using FeSo4....

The process seems very easy. normally I premix nsw in my 2 ft spare tank for my 4ftx1.5x1.5. This time I retain the usw in a bbq styrofoam ice box. When my 2ft spare tank emptys, I transfer the usw back to the 2ft tank... I dissolve abt 3-5ml of the FESO4 the in DI water and pour into the tank of usw... in 3-5mins... vou la... brownish seawater... seems like wrought iron dust in water liao.... run for another hour, I put filter floss in my hangon filter and let it run for the rest of the day... probably have to rinse my floss once more as I am using recycled floss after main tank use... The usw turns clear as what the bros have mentioned earlier in the post.... very easy... 1kg can use for years man... based on my feel, the processed usw seems very low in PO4... bearing in mind my 4x1.5x1.5 has a 6 inch DSB with mangroves, only no skimmer. I noticed becoz my brown algae on tank glass takes a longer time to grow... I have heavy lps stocking, 12 anthiars, 1 4 inches batik wrasse, medium size YT, BT, convict tang, and 5 inch PBT, 1 damsle, 1 coral beauty. feeding is 4x pellets on timer... regular use of live pyhto, black powder...

so my PO4 should rise very fast... if rowa no change... previously I use 1/2 kg monthly.. jus changed mine to 250g only for this month....

umm.. didnt have a way to test the result becoz I dun have a accurate PO4 testkit.... but bro reefzzz offer to test my water this weekend with his deltec testkit...... will update test result on the processed water....

cheers..

bro, as usual...u still experimenting all sorts of ways ...my salute to you....keep us updated the stats! well done!

No more mushies fraggin sessions huh?! any frags for me??! :D

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member
HI

Can na3po4 be use to remove po4?

Kindly advice if anyone has use this methid

:thanks:

I dun believe it can be used, as it is a phosphate salt. Sure you get this correct? I will cause algae boom...

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• 1 month later...
See the solution while treatment in 1 hr. FeSO4 oxidation occurs. The solution is brown in color. Because of the iron ion.

:huh:

Bro Nakazoru,

I'm new in this SRC and in Bangkok.

Volume of water is 1400 litre.(BB tank)

Problem is increasing PO4.

Now got FeSO4-7H2O Lab Grade ;

I will perform same method as you did but a little different....

1. I will remove all livings out to quarantine somewhere.

2. shutdown main pump.

3. Applied in Main tank which occupied 1000 L. or nearly 250 G.

4. Add 25 teaspoons and siphon it by power head for 3-4 hrs.

5. Run canister filter till pristine water state.

6. Adjust pH.

7. Return livings back.

Before treat.

1. PO4 ----> 0.5-0.7

2. pH ------> 8.2-8.3

Experiment will be perform tomorrow if I can catch all fishes.

Appreciate all comments

• SRC Member
Hi nakazoru

It has been a year plus since you start using FeSO4 to recycle the water, can comment how your tank doing after so long?

William

Hi William;

Sorry did not see your post, I have since upgrade from a 30G to 180G recently. Did only once on the new tank, I have stop measuring PO4 since the last kit expired. My indication to treat the water is looking at the sunp take for indication of excessive nurtients. Remembering FeSO4 remove more than PO4 so I do it regularly then.

Since now I have a bigger, 5 times bigger, so I have only 6 fishes and corals, so it is very small bioload, so no outburst of algae yet.

Any bad infuence on the LS/coral using FeSO4, none is my answer, if dose gradually.

Cheers

Bro Nakazoru,

I'm new in this SRC and in Bangkok.

Volume of water is 1400 litre.(BB tank)

Problem is increasing PO4.

Now got FeSO4-7H2O Lab Grade ;

I will perform same method as you did but a little different....

1. I will remove all livings out to quarantine somewhere.

2. shutdown main pump.

3. Applied in Main tank which occupied 1000 L. or nearly 250 G.

4. Add 25 teaspoons and siphon it by power head for 3-4 hrs.

5. Run canister filter till pristine water state.

6. Adjust pH.

7. Return livings back.

Before treat.

1. PO4 ----> 0.5-0.7

2. pH ------> 8.2-8.3

Experiment will be perform tomorrow if I can catch all fishes.

Appreciate all comments

Sorry, late again, did not know I have a fan from Bangkok, haha. I suggest that you use 4-6 teaspoon rather than 25... As your PO4 will only need 4 times of the FeSO4 to remove, theoritcally.

Finish the treatment then measure, dose again if require. Update on the PO4 reading if you can.

Cheers

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • SRC Member

I don't think this is advisable, from what I know :

when you dissolve Ferrous Sulphate in the water, iron and sulphate will be serperated. in this case you are just adding iron into the water. overdosing will cause nuisance aglae bloom. SCARY!! better reconsider :unsure:

rowa might be expensive but 100% no harm.