Thinking of having Sea Horses as pets

Stuart.Chong

Been around ReefCentral, SGReefClub and SeaHorse.com to look at reef related information but would appreciate some local Singapore information whenever possible:

1. What is the price range for seahorses in SGD?

2. What kind of tank should I go for? I have read that verticle tanks are more suited to let seahorses to have babies. Is this true? Does the regular rectangular ones work too?

3. Is a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft rectangular tank good for 10 seahorses?

4. How much for a new tank? Is a second-hand tank recommended?

5. How much habitat (LRs, corals) should I have in the tank, >20%?

6. If I go for a verticle tank, do I need a sump?

7. What is the cost for a sump that handles a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft tank?

8. How much does corals and stuff cost?

9. How much does it take to convert tap water to proper water for use in marine tanks? Any alternatives?

10. Lastly, a really newbie question, are Leafy Seadragons available in Singapore. If yes, are they hardy?

Honestly, I have no idea how much this setup will cost but I think I am willing to put in 1-2k SGD. I know I have more homework to do to keep my seahorses safe.

I know there are a few sea horse keepers out there. . do chip in and shre ur advice.

Although personally i havent tried sea horses before, but i visited a reefer who kept his tank temperature at constant 25 degrees (which is extremely cold) just for the seahorses. Perhaps some species need low temperature than others.

i sld believe thew entire set up will cost less than $2000.

cheers.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member
Been around ReefCentral, SGReefClub and SeaHorse.com to look at reef related information but would appreciate some local Singapore information whenever possible:

1. What is the price range for seahorses in SGD? $10-300

2. What kind of tank should I go for? I have read that verticle tanks are more suited to let seahorses to have babies. Is this true? Does the regular rectangular ones work too? DOES NOT MATTER

3. Is a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft rectangular tank good for 10 seahorses? MORE THAN ENOUGH

4. How much for a new tank? Is a second-hand tank recommended? NOT A SEAHORSE QUESTION

5. How much habitat (LRs, corals) should I have in the tank, >20%? NOT AN ISSUE

6. If I go for a verticle tank, do I need a sump? DEPENDS ON YOUR SETUP

7. What is the cost for a sump that handles a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft tank? NOT A SEAHORSE QUESTION

8. How much does corals and stuff cost? NOT A SEAHORSE QUESTION

9. How much does it take to convert tap water to proper water for use in marine tanks? Any alternatives? NOT A SEAHORSE QUESTION

10. Lastly, a really newbie question, are Leafy Seadragons available in Singapore. If yes, are they hardy? YES. NOT WITHIN THE PRICE RANGE AS SPECIFIED. NOT HARDY IF YOU DO NOT KEEP TEMP WITHIN 20-22 DEGREES

Honestly, I have no idea how much this setup will cost but I think I am willing to put in 1-2k SGD. I know I have more homework to do to keep my seahorses safe. QUESTION IS NOT TO KEEP YOUR SEAHORSE SAFE BUT ALIVE IF YOU ARE DETERMINED.

READ MORE ON THE EXISTING THREADS

Replies in Uppercase.

I think it would be good that u setup a tank first... cycle it for a month then u think abt getting them, sea horses are not easy to keep and they are not sold in LFS openly anymore.. heard that its illegal to sell them in their shop now.

here's an acticle abt seahorse which i find is very good information.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/dec2004/fishb.htm

1. What is the price range for seahorses in SGD?

Price ranges from $15 - $150

2. What kind of tank should I go for? I have read that verticle tanks are more suited to let seahorses to have babies. Is this true? Does the regular rectangular ones work too?

A high tank would be good as SH swims vertically... Would help in breeding if you are breeding them... More space for them to do the ritual mating dance...

A regular rectangular tank would do just fine...

3. Is a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft rectangular tank good for 10 seahorses?

More than enough, could fit in another 5 more...

4. How much for a new tank? Is a second-hand tank recommended?

This varies from tank maker to tank maker... Do the market research on the price bah...

5. How much habitat (LRs, corals) should I have in the tank, >20%?

Normally i do not recommend corals to be kept with SH as some of the Coral have stinging tentacles...

Zoas, Mushroom, Yumas are okay... A handful of Tonga branch LR would be good... Can have some Red Bamboo Macroalgae too...

6. If I go for a verticle tank, do I need a sump?

With a sump you will have more water volume that will allow the water to be more stable...

7. What is the cost for a sump that handles a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft tank?

This varies from tank maker to tank maker... Do the market research on the price bah...

8. How much does corals and stuff cost?

This varies from LFS to LFS... Go visit LFS and make a price comparison bah...

9. How much does it take to convert tap water to proper water for use in marine tanks? Any alternatives?

Actually tap water is just nice... But you can get a RO/DI Filter for ard $300... Depending on how many stage you going... Do more research on this...

10. Lastly, a really newbie question, are Leafy Seadragons available in Singapore. If yes, are they hardy?

Not Availble... Would cost a bomb to ship in from AUS... They live in 22 Degree - 24 Degree... WOuld need your Chiller to work at full horsepower...

Honestly, I have no idea how much this setup will cost but I think I am willing to put in 1-2k SGD. I know I have more homework to do to keep my seahorses safe.

Setup alone would cost ard 1.5k... So i guess 3.5k would be good enough...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Sea dragons in captivity tend to be prone to protozoan infections in the gut which needs specialized veterinarians to keep such infections in check by the ###### administration of medication. Failure to do so and the animals stop feeding completely and death follows.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Sea dragons in captivity tend to be prone to protozoan infections in the gut which needs specialized veterinarians to keep such infections in check by the ###### administration of medication. Failure to do so and the animals stop feeding completely and death follows.

Ya... I think i heard this over some documentaries on Animal Planet...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

Below is the formalities that is required for personal allowance when returning back to Singapore. No AVA Licence is required but CITES import & export permit, a must. Import permit is about $60 from AVA. ($12/- per species but minimum S$60). And the export CITES permit from the country of origin.

CITES Species (Require CITES import & export permits)

Types of Ornamental Fish Country from which the product may be imported Personal Allowance

(Maximum amount which may be imported without a licence from AVA)

Asian Arowana (Dragon fish)

Any country One fish in not more than 3 litres of packing water per person per trip, subject to a maximum of 2 pieces in not more than 6 litres of water per car (2 or more persons in the car)

Hard/CITES corals/Calcareous algae rocks (larger than palm-size)

Any country 5 pieces per person per trip, subject to a maximum of 10 pieces per car (2 or more persons in the car)

Seahorse

Any country 5 pieces per person per trip, subject to a maximum of 10 pieces per car (2 or more persons in the car)

Giant clams