Jervis' Full Time Job

jervismun

like that your chiller will be fixed at that position

Yeah the position of the chiller is fixed... will not move it around anymore... however, if I need to remove the chiller for maintenance next time... can still do so using the 2 Ball Valves installed on top of the chiller :)

(am I calling it correctly? I believe those 2 are Ball Valves right?) :bow:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Yeah the position of the chiller is fixed... will not move it around anymore... however, if I need to remove the chiller for maintenance next time... can still do so using the 2 Ball Valves installed on top of the chiller :)

(am I calling it correctly? I believe those 2 are Ball Valves right?) :bow:

yup ball valves but yours are something new.

Current tank

Past tank

post your overflow internal pic leh

Here you go bro Dominik... my external overflow box :)

What you guys think so far? Coz if got any comments... I can still discuss with the tank maker... if need fixing... at least can still do it while its dry :bow:

post-34-1157974982.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Here you go bro Dominik... my external overflow box :)

What you guys think so far? Coz if got any comments... I can still discuss with the tank maker... if need fixing... at least can still do it while its dry :bow:

the smaller pipe below is for overflow also?

Current tank

Past tank

the smaller pipe below is for overflow also?

Oh forgot to mention... bro Dominik you are so good at all these... :bow:

The smaller pipe is for water change outlet :) Just have to connect a rubber hose open the valve and down the drain it goes :lol:

wah easy lei to do water change! ur pipes like so pro sia..u muz thank steve for all tis liao!

I know bro RD... I promised to treat them nice dinner after the completion of the tank... can see all their tears and sweat leh :whistle

Another shot of my sump tank (with more pipings)... left to right:

1) DSB chamber

2) Bubble counter chamber

3) Internal pumps area (Aquabee 3000 to chiller, Aquabee 1000 to dual chamber FR)

4) Return pump with Asahi Ball Valve T-off (red handle) getting ready for CR

Still looking very neat and pro as some pipings run high towards the back of the sump to stay out of view B) I think my black cabinet idea is paying off... as I really like the coolness of it :fear:

post-34-1157976332.jpg

Here's something I am particularly proud of... this is the result of my sharing with fellow reefers... a kind reefer saw pictures of my hinges... offered me a small tub of Omega 99 to be applied to the hinges to avoid rust/corrosion... must thank that bro :bow::bow::bow:

post-34-1157976800.jpg

wah where to get omega 99

i nid it too

betw

steve is the young or older guy ah ??

jervis yr tank is the best la

masterpiece

mine pales in comparison

lol

:(

Hi bro scs88, I have no idea where to get it... probably can find in local DIY shop... if you need, I can pass you some also the next time you visit my tank :)

Thanks bro for the compliment... yeah can see the tank maker put in a lot of effort... I'm sure your next tank will be FANTASTIC :lol:

• SRC Member

Omega 99 is actually a high temp. resistant industrial grease. It does not stop rust fyi, a tub of it costs hundreds. You cannot get this from a DIY shop. It will however offer a slight protective coat when smeared on the surface of metal thats all.

The best way to prevent rust is to buy anti-rust surface prep. paint which most DIY shops carry. Hope this helps~

Omega 99 is actually a high temp. resistant industrial grease. It does not stop rust fyi, a tub of it costs hundreds. You cannot get this from a DIY shop. It will however offer a slight protective coat when smeared on the surface of metal thats all.

The best way to prevent rust is to buy anti-rust surface prep. paint which most DIY shops carry. Hope this helps~

Thanks bro Soul for your info... didn't know Omega 99 costs that much!!! Emm... now I can figure out where's ur mystery island work place and your profession :eyebrow:

• SRC Member

at last you're back! :) One more stupid question for bro jervis "what is that flushing system?" huh? :fear: hee hee! wat is the advantage?

for me, i just come back from Reborn. That's my first time going to a LFS in Singapore. There is not much fishes & corals and somemore i saw some dead and rotten fishes. :( and somemore the guy maintaining the tank is smoking! :shock:

I usually see you guys' tank and envying and i expecting so much and go there to see. Make me depressed. :cry: why like that, huh? :sick::off:

May be i'll go Iwarna at another day and see how...! :pirate:

at last you're back! :) One more stupid question for bro jervis "what is that flushing system?" huh? :fear: hee hee! wat is the advantage?

for me, i just come back from Reborn. That's my first time going to a LFS in Singapore. There is not much fishes & corals and somemore i saw some dead and rotten fishes. :( and somemore the guy maintaining the tank is smoking! :shock:

I usually see you guys' tank and envying and i expecting so much and go there to see. Make me depressed. :cry: why like that, huh? :sick::off:

May be i'll go Iwarna at another day and see how...! :pirate:

Hi bro Lone... you got a lot of questions... let me try to answer all :lol:

1) The Flushing System is a series of pvc pipe works within the main tank with holes drilled at strategic locations. The structure is then concealed by the rock scaping. Once activated, jets of water will be pushed out thru the drilled holes creating streams in all locations behind the tank. This additional form of water circulation is particularly useful to push wastes and detritus out onto the frontal area to be carried by the wavemakers. The jets of water will also reduce (if not eliminate totally) the chances of having dead zones within the scaping... a common problem faced by reefers. As Flushing System provides chilled water to the main tank, it will also help distribute chilled water evenly to the tank more efficiently. Will try to demonstrate more once I fill the tank with water partially.

2) Rotten dead fishes in display tanks are sometimes unavoidable... smoking inside the shop is unacceptable. So far, I know of 2 LFS smoke inside their air-con shops :angry:

3) If you want to see nice fishes and corals in display tanks... there are long list of LFS you MUST visit :lol: and unfortunately... Reborn is not one of them. Yes, Irwana is an eye opener... a MUST for reefers :P

• SRC Member

Ok my opinion on the overflow box, point of overflow at the top (higher than normal which is fine), flushing system is a good idea however due to the overflow being right at the top not much dirt can be cleared when flushing.

Bro Jervis if u have time go take a look at Jinreh's display tank, they have an overflow slot create just above sandbed level hidden behind nicely apart from the one at the top.

Ok my opinion on the overflow box, point of overflow at the top (higher than normal which is fine), flushing system is a good idea however due to the overflow being right at the top not much dirt can be cleared when flushing.

Bro Jervis if u have time go take a look at Jinreh's display tank, they have an overflow slot create just above sandbed level hidden behind nicely apart from the one at the top.

But I believe my Tunzes will be able to lift them up once they are pushed forward... as in my old tank... if the Tunzes are configured properly at the correct settings they will be able to move a good percentage of the detritus to the overflow box.

As for the "Juwel tank idea"... I did explore the idea a bit... but later dropped as they can be very hard to maintain after a while... I remember my old Juwel tank where a lot of rotten plants will get stucked there and I have to siphon them out creating havoc to the planted scape. Have not seen the Jireh tank... if it works... perhaps my next tank :evil:

• SRC Member
As Flushing System provides chilled water to the main tank, it will also help distribute chilled water evenly to the tank more efficiently. Will try to demonstrate more once I fill the tank with water partially.

:thanks: Now i know that purpose of flushing system! so it is connected with the chiller or separate? :idea:

But 2 or 3 wavemakers and 1 steam pumps not enuff to perform that job? :blink:

:thanks: Now i know that purpose of flushing system! so it is connected with the chiller or separate? :idea:

But 2 or 3 wavemakers and 1 steam pumps not enuff to perform that job? :blink:

The pump connected to the Flushing System will draw water from the chamber where chilled water is being released. The Flushing System will share the same pump as the Main Return.

It's hard to reach behind live rocks especially if you have limited space between the rocks and the back glass panel... say 2 inches. I think the Flushing System will work better than using a Tunze Stream constantly blowing the back of the tank (like what I'm doing now in my current tank).

jervis: am i invited for the dinner? :P

Yes you are invited :lol:

Note: Since you so thick-skin :P

:thanks: bro! now clear!  :upsidedown:

I am still experimenting with most of the features... some may work well... some may not work well... expected really... so do follow my thread closely in order to learn more about them (for example the Flushing System).

If you have more queries... just ask :lol: Don't be shy :paiseh: We are all here to share (and to show off a bit lah :lol: )

• SRC Member

But I believe my Tunzes will be able to lift them up once they are pushed forward... as in my old tank... if the Tunzes are configured properly at the correct settings they will be able to move a good percentage of the detritus to the overflow box.

As for the "Juwel tank idea"... I did explore the idea a bit... but later dropped as they can be very hard to maintain after a while... I remember my old Juwel tank where a lot of rotten plants will get stucked there and I have to siphon them out creating havoc to the planted scape. Have not seen the Jireh tank... if it works... perhaps my next tank :evil:

The "jewel system" is from Dupla system some 20years back.

I think the your jewel system is not properly done.

The "bottom skimming" is a very good system to enchance your flashing.

Just like young men taking Vigra, how potent!

Since your tank is dry, add it in, you will have no regret.

My Reefing Mission:-

To manage the waters and lights with efficient resources, disciplined husbandry and prograsive knowledge.