SOHO reef

yvoneysl

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes more sense having the chiller next to the windows... and lots of space on top as hot air rises :)

LOVE THE DART!!! Yeah... you need something that kinda calibre :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
This is one of my planted tank that I decom last month (I'm using this tank as refugium)  ;)

your planted tank shiokshiok! love it man. but somehow reminds me of hair algae. then get frustrated at mr phosphate. then look a bit more, and then get angry liao..... :P

• SRC Member

Lunch time, lunch time....

Thanks bro tayhonglee for your compliment. :paiseh:

A bit of history on my planted tanks.

I use to have 4 tanks & 1 pond in one of my room. yes I once own a fish room :evil: But the room was very unsightly with all the equipments like chillers, co2 tanks, MH, canister filters and etc. that made it hot and noisey.

My forest :ph34r:

4.5ft by 1.5ft by 2.5ft using 2 nos 150W MH 6500K

1/5 chiller with co2 injection & UV light

post-34-1157003482.jpg

Wah a very pro aquarist leh!!! I love the light effect between the twin towers... nice :yeah: Can't wait to see how you will excel in marine... people like you can learn everything in 2 months :lol::lol::lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Oh man!!! This is getting out of hand :D:P:lol:

I have 3 tanks in the bath room now with 2 chillers running, 3 canisters filters, 3 sets of lights and a lot of junks :blink::ph34r::blink:

A very power hungry bathroom :lol:

• SRC Member

Need help from reef friends as now planning to procure some stuff for the refugium.

Refugium is mainly to house nutrient export micro algae and small invertebrates like shrimps, crabs, etc….

Question and Answer Session 1

Q1- light

Base on 4 tubes of HOT5, in order to maximize the PAR produced per watt, all the tube's color temperatures will be 6500K.

I don't mind the yellow tones produce by the 6500K tube as long as it benefit the photosynthetic activity of the micro algae.

Is this ok or should it be a combination of 10K bulb with actinic blue?

Photoperiod will be minimum 10 hours to maximum 14 hours with reverse cycle from the main tank.

Is this ok or should it be together with the main tank's photoperiod? Or on 24/7?

Q2- Substrate

What's the maximum depth for DSB, is 8" too much? Am I asking for trouble with very deep DSB?

Planning to using mixture of grade 1 sand with aragonite, is this ok and what's the mix ratio? If not what will be the better choice?

Q3- Water flow & movement

Circulation for the refugium is about 10-12X tank volume turnover, is the wave maker still necessary?

Thousands thanks :bow::bow::bow:

post-34-1157181840.jpg

Honestly... since you already have so many other tanks (sump lah... refugium lah)... you can allocate a DSB there... DSB in main tank can create problems if not done properly... and also very unsightly if not hidden well.

Oh sorry... a bit confused :D

Remember to use Plenum at the base... it's much better (if done properly)