SOHO reef

yvoneysl

• SRC Member
Can I have a piece of the pie too? My Phase 2 will consist of a rather large tank to be utilized for nutrient exporting too...

Sure boss, let's fa yang guang da Jaubert plenum style sand bed together!!! :eyeblur:

BTW, did a calcuation on the cost of Aragonite sand for 3ft by 1.5ft by 3" deep...

easily 500 bucks... :sick:

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
BTW, did a calcuation on the cost of Aragonite sand for 3ft by 1.5ft by 3" deep...

easily 500 bucks... :sick:

Don't think need so much la bro.... 20lb of aragonite cost 40 bucks... 8 packs shld be more than sufficient...

With Jaubert style, u dun need that much LR already... and it is also recommended that 2/3 of the sand bed remains uncovered... spend on aragonite & save on LR.. :D:D

Main Tank: 5 x 1 x 1

Return from overflow: Eheim compact+ 5000

Lighting: 2x 54W T5

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1350

Chiller: Arctica 1/10

Wave Maker: Tunze Nano Wavebox & Tunze 6055 with Photocell
Monitor 1: American Marine Pinpoint pH monitor
Monitor 2: American Marine Pinpoint Temperature monitor

BTW, did a calcuation on the cost of Aragonite sand for 3ft by 1.5ft by 3" deep... easily 500 bucks... :sick:

Yeah can't possibly be that much... unless you are talking about 12" thick :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Miting 7pm at AM friday nite to share some pies. Come along. Hammy will be late, as usual.

Wah... AM got SPECIAL SHIPMENT today... but by the time you read this... I belive most of them are already gone ;) (please do not PM me) :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Bro, great and nice to know for tonite's gatherings :lol: Looks like a big gathering indeed, with Bro Reefzzz, kenethk,hammy, blot,shootsimon :bow:

Wow big group... did you guys saw AM's latest clams shipment? Maximas and Croceas :P

• SRC Member

Wow big group... did you guys saw AM's latest clams shipment? Maximas and Croceas :P

No leh..... all we saw is somebody's GEM in 4 of Janet's Tank. All 4 tanks stated NOT FOR SALE !!!! Drooling :yeah: over some of his precious zoas, multi-colored blasto and RED prata :shock:

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

No leh..... all we saw is somebody's GEM in 4 of Janet's Tank. All 4 tanks stated NOT FOR SALE !!!! Drooling :yeah: over some of his precious zoas, multi-colored blasto and RED prata :shock:

Those are from the decomed LPS tank... the source of my LR :)

• SRC Member

Really enjoy last night gatherings and very impress by the 3 wonderful reef tanks own by bro reefzzz, fishtalk & Kennethk. :bow:

Look forward for another gathering with you guys.

BTW whoever one to join me for weekly 5km run on tuesday evening please let me know.

bro Kenneth already on me :eyebrow:

Really enjoy last night gatherings and very impress by the 3 wonderful reef tanks own by bro reefzzz, fishtalk & Kennethk. :bow:

Emm... u guys brought your tank along for the gathering? :shock:

• SRC Member

Look forward for another gathering with you guys.

BTW whoever one to join me for weekly 5km run on tuesday evening please let me know.

bro Kenneth already on me :eyebrow:

5 km !!?? :sick: Come to think of it, I guess U R a former PTI :evil: Jus went for my 3.5 km, already tongue sticking out and panting like a dog :cry: Short run can but LONG run, must train up first :P

Emm... u guys brought your tank along for the gathering?  

No lah, we all went coral viewing ar :P in each other's home and saw a few other reefers too :D Great nite ....LOL

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

Emm... u guys brought your tank along for the gathering?  

No lah, we all went coral viewing ar :P in each other's home and saw a few other reefers too :D Great nite ....LOL

Bro next time must include me leh... office at night surely no problem :lol: Mohd. Sultan... last stop :heh:

• SRC Member
I dun not promise u for a run. Trying to quit smoking yesterday is oredi a mountain to climb brother.

u really mean business abt quiting smoking ar ??? :o keep it up. Must be determine :P No need climb mountain, we go short run downstairs. we can do it twice a week, quarantee tummy slim slim and smoking habits kicked :yeah:

Bro next time must include me leh... office at night surely no problem  Mohd. Sultan... last stop

Can, we do it quite often for the gathering, usually drink tea tarik at Jnln Kayu then maybe coral viewing and discussion .... Perhaps we can plan for a trip to go drool ur tank one night followed by a coke session at Mohd Sultan :eyebrow:

• SRC Member
5 km !!??  Come to think of it, I guess U R a former PTI  Jus went for my 3.5 km, already tongue sticking out and panting like a dog  Short run can but LONG run, must train up first 

PTI??!! When I first started my running program last year I cant even finish 1 Km in constant speed... :D don't worry by the time I reach your area I areadly cover the first 3km, then I can join you guys for another short run.

:off: Now back to my SOHO reef

I'm going to construct the Plenum living sand system/ NNR( Natural Nitrate Reduction) base my Dr. Jaubert method.

Due to the high cost of live agragonite sand/ substrates, I will mix live agragonite with dry agragonite to cut down the cost. Eventually all will become 'live' just that it takes longer period to become sufficiently colonized by bacteria.

So I bought 4 bags of peral beach aragonite substrates (dry form) togather with 2 bags of Bio-active live aragonite substrates (wet form). Total weight is 120lbs.

post-34-1162116303.jpg

Looking good bro... looking good :whistle

:lol: bro total 6 packs lah... sometime in life never trust what you see :ooh:

Also bought another better quality fibreglass screening to replace the existing one which the mesh holes too large.

u might wanna consider double layer :eyebrow:

• SRC Member
I tot u say wanan buy wet type 5 packs ma.

:paiseh: need to save some $$$ for the main tank

u might wanna consider double layer 

If the holes are to small I afraid it will limit the diffusion of water between sand surface to the plenum.

The recommended sand grains is 2.0- 4.0mm but unfortunately some of the grains size contain in the seachem is larger. So got to seperate them during rinsing. :sick:

post-34-1162125296.jpg