Moonlight...

• SRC Member

I have just order a DIY Mooonlight..

Currently i am using 150W DE 14K MH,

Switch ON is at 1430H (Daily)

Switch OFF is at 2230H (Daily)

Question:- If let say i dun USE a DIY Moonlight, can i just leave my tank without the moonlight effect thru the night?? Or should i use the Moonlight Effect on thru out the night and off it when my MH switch ON again...

Please advice..

:thanks::thanks:

• SRC Member

I used mine in this configuration.

1230-moonlight on

1330-MH on

1345-moonlight off

2315-moonlight on

0000-MH off

0030-moonlight off

Moonlight is suppose to simulate dusk and dawn.

U won't wan to shock the LS with sudden light on and off.

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Member

Hello, once again, can we used blue light (bulb) screw on type which people used it to fix into the fixture which trap insect. It's cheap and bright, just get a hang on holder and screw the bulb in to simulate moon-light. But, not sure whether do they emits UV and is UV harmful to coral?

Hello, once again, can we used blue light (bulb) screw on type which people used it to fix into the fixture which trap insect. It's cheap and bright, just get a hang on holder and screw the bulb in to simulate moon-light. But, not sure whether do they emits UV and is UV harmful to coral?

Your tank will be floated with insect :lol:

A real proper moonlight for reeftanks is supposed to produce just barely enough light, with increasing and decreasing intensity to simulate the moon phases.

Corals and other marine life can be made to spawn as this happens in nature according to moon phases.

Too bad most aquarists have mixed ideas what constitutes a moonlight... most see it as a viewing light... some people think actinics are moonlights when it's actually better as a dusk/dawn light.... some make it so bright it's almost like a blue MH... some even use a RED bulb... :pinch: in reality, if you dive at night even under a full moon, you can barely see the corals even in shallow water.... just barely.

:)

AT

• SRC Member
moonlight is in absolutely no way bright enough for dusk dawn effects. i think u are referring to actinics.

oh yah...i m refering to my actinics, misunderstanding...paiseh paiseh :paiseh:

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.