My Tank Water Super Smelly

Brian38

• SRC Member
That's the fun of marine setup. Endure the smell. Add carbon. In a few days the smell will not be ard. It is part of the cycle. Do not throw away the LR unless u super rich. It will be a waste if the LR is of nice shape. Every building or place have it's banging and piling b4 it is beauitful. Even women going through plastic surgery have to go through some bandaging b4 it is remove to show ur beauty.

Trust me, the smell can be as bad as a dead, decomposing body lying next to you. Further, it is mostly ammonia which is very bad for health :evil: . I can empathise what Brian38 is going through.

My CO (as well as my neighbours) almost throw me and the LR out the house if I didn't got rid of the LR during my cycling stage. I had been doing brushing and water change few times a day at the peak to cool their tempers :sick: .

Cheers.

• SRC Member

Just like many bros have already commented and indicated, what you got are some uncured LRs or LRs with dying-offs.

As mentioned, take it out, scrub the alien stuff off, change at least 30% water and let it recycle.

Take note that when buying more LR, at the LFS, you can either pick up the rock and smell it. If the smell does not make you puke or nausea, then its fine. Otherwise, do not get it or you might be pregnant.

The other safe way is to buy LRs from reefers here. Second-hand. They will be safe, already cured. How I confirm? Well, most of them are giving up the hobby. I am sure most of them give up hobby after running the tank for quite some time. :)

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• 2 weeks later...

it has been 3 weeks already, sigh..... i put it in a red pail in the balcony with air stone running on it, althought its not as smelly as before, when i take them out and smell it still smell a bit like rotten egg.

There is one particular stone which has a hole in the center of the stone still has a super smelly smell of rotten egg. its like a super waste of time.....should i give up on them?