New Hitch-hikers

Rufff

• SRC Member

Seems like we got some new hitch-hikers frm new stuff added (mushrooms & LR) in the rank recently.

Saw a pale cream-coloured "shrimp" skirting on the sandbed - looks like a baby mantis but can't B sure (doesn't look like CS baby). Took it out & now isolated in small container. Digicam not around so can't take pic. Should I throw it away? It might not survive 4 long coz didn't aerate the water its in ...

Saw 2 starfishes - 1 medium & 1 small in size, both same species. Very skinny, looks hairy, with stripes on its body. The bigger one has very long legs & a tiny central-body. Should I leave them B? They look like Brittle Stars (see attached). Read that they R peaceful creatures & won't harm other fishes/shrimps/snails ... anyone got any experience?

Any thoughts appreciated. :thanks:

post-6-1066276651.jpg

Seems like we got some new hitch-hikers frm new stuff added (mushrooms & LR) in the rank recently.

Saw a pale cream-coloured "shrimp" skirting on the sandbed - looks like a baby mantis but can't B sure (doesn't look like CS baby). Took it out & now isolated in small container. Digicam not around so can't take pic. Should I throw it away? It might not survive 4 long coz didn't aerate the water its in ...

Saw 2 starfishes - 1 medium & 1 small in size, both same species. Very skinny, looks hairy, with stripes on its body. The bigger one has very long legs & a tiny central-body. Should I leave them B? They look like Brittle Stars (see attached). Read that they R peaceful creatures & won't harm other fishes/shrimps/snails ... anyone got any experience?

Any thoughts appreciated. :thanks:

Giant brittle may attack fish but since your is small, it should be ok

:nuke: the mantis shrimp before it grows bigger and become a threat to your inverts and fishes.

Brittlestars, especially if they are greyish brown, are more or less reefsafe. Don't keep the green ones... they are fish-eaters.

• SRC Member

Should I wait until the brittle stars gets bigger B4 eliminating them, or do it now? Its actually the 1st time seeing them out of their hiding place, so dun know when they will venture out again. How big can they grow? How big is it 2 B considered hazardous 2 other fishes - big enough 2 overpower their prey?

Oh 4got 2 add, we killed a sea spider a few days ago. How I knew it was a sea spider? It looked like a spider & it was walking on the sandbed ... :D It was soo small & it basically had scrawny legs, practically no body 2 speak of & was disturbing my snails. So I decided 2 crush the fella B4 he did any harm. Actually dun know if spiders would cause havoc in tank. Didn't want 2 take the risk.

If confirmed, its baby mantis, think I will "exterminate" it. Doubt it will survive thru the night anyway ...

Dun know which "hole" all these funny creatures out come from ... won't B surprised if I managed 2 C even more "uninvited" guests the next few days :D.

• SRC Member
can anyone confirm if the description is that of a spider crab??  Never heard of sea spiders before.......... :blink:  :blink:

:paiseh: Hehe .. 2 tell U the truth, I dun know if there's such a name as "sea spider" (I called it that 4 easy reference - coz it looked like a spider). I'm sure there's a proper/correct name 4 it.

:peace:

• SRC Member

Brittlestars are not starfish. :evil: They have different anatomy.

They R not? Ermm .... then what R they?

OK I think I better do more research on the web 1st B4 I do anything 2 them. Dun want 2 eliminate good "guests" in my tank.

Sounds like something that I brought up before.

Do a search... ahhh... never mind... here's the thread on sea spiders here

:) It's a common hitchhiker... they are a threat to SPS corals.

• SRC Member
Sounds like something that I brought up before.

Do a search... ahhh... never mind... here's the thread on sea spiders here

:) It's a common hitchhiker... they are a threat to SPS corals.

Hi AT, thanx 4 the info. I've read yr previous post (Nov 02) & noted that my sea spider was the same as yours (not the blue one). Interesting read ...

I wasn't asking bout the sea spider at all :) (only bout the mantis & brittlestars), just mentioned it casually coz I was experiencing a lot of "uninvited" guests in my newbie tank recently, thats all :) .

I wasn't overly concerned either coz I've already squashed it last week :D. So it wasn't that I didn't want 2 read up in the SRC pages, its just something that happened 2 me B4. Figured that some reefers might wanna keep a look out 4 these hitch-hikers in their own tanks too - just in case.

:thanks: 4 everyone's input. Appreciate it. :peace: