Chris 2ft Final Re-Setup

chrisyew

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With the Bubble success... i wonder if you ever need a chiller... seems miraculous to me too :shock::bow:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

When I first spotted this $15 each sun coral, I'm rather doubtful that it will survive well. But since it's the size that I like, and the price that I'm willing to pay - take the risk.

This is how it looks in the lfs when I bought them;

post-34-1159943659.jpg

• SRC Member

wow bro. looks good to me :lol: i think potential to be a very nice piece :)

i agreed with bro Borinz. hidden red color. I see no problem in nursing to good health. Looking forward the healthy cynarina :D

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

Tank is normal 2ft : 2ft x 1ft x 1.5ft height.

Sump : 2ft x 11" x 11" height.

Light : 3x24W T5 HO

2 X 80mm DC Fan (No chiller)

Skimmer : Macro AS100P

Return Pump : Ehiem 1250

Overflow : DIY

Auto Pump Cutoff : DIY

History : The LR in this tank is almost 2yrs already and still no coraline algae on it. After I've the sump made, decided to get test kits like pH, kH, Ca and Mg. I've never measured these before except Nitrite, Nitrate and PO4. The initial test shows ok except Ca is way out too high at 755ppm and Mg at 1455ppm. Change 50% of water and thereafter 20% change weekly until all within parameters more or less.

Now : Finally coraline algae started to grow and parameters are;

pH : 8.4

kH : 10.6

Ca : 380ppm

Mg : 1200ppm

Sorry for the untidy pipe setup done by myself. Really have to say hate to do piping work. Since it's working ok, don't feel like redo unless something goes wrong again hehe. Should have make the pipe from tank to sump 1 size bigger though, maybe next time....

My simple 4 compartment sump;

Hi Chris,

Interesting to see how successful is your tank setup as I have just started mine few weeks back.

However, mine is a 2ft IOS tank, thus do not have sump as you have. My weipro skimmer has to be hanged outside at the edge of the glass. Quite unsightly, but what to do? :P

I have yet purchased any coral, but seeing your healthy corals boost my confidence as well. Will look around to see if I can get one or two this weekend.

I have a cooling fan like what you have, question is what direction of the blowing do you place your fan? With air blowing directly at the water surface or blowing away from the water surface?

Very nice Candy... normally I see specimens very branched-out... and the colour is nice... a fine specimen :bow:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Hi Chris,

Interesting to see how successful is your tank setup as I have just started mine few weeks back.

However, mine is a 2ft IOS tank, thus do not have sump as you have. My weipro skimmer has to be hanged outside at the edge of the glass. Quite unsightly, but what to do? :P

I have yet purchased any coral, but seeing your healthy corals boost my confidence as well. Will look around to see if I can get one or two this weekend.

I have a cooling fan like what you have, question is what direction of the blowing do you place your fan? With air blowing directly at the water surface or blowing away from the water surface?

Hi Tanic,

Thanks.

I put my 2 fans blowing across the tanks as you may see in the above photos. As such, I don't have the risk of fans dropping into the tank. ;)

Hi Tanic,

Thanks.

I put my 2 fans blowing across the tanks as you may see in the above photos. As such, I don't have the risk of fans dropping into the tank. ;)

Oh, I placed mine at a 45deg tilted angle blowing at the water surface.

Everyday got to top up 1L of water <_<

How often do you switch on your skimmer and lighting?

• SRC Member

:lol: here is mine ;)

post-34-1160011896.jpg

• SRC Member

I didn't tilt it at an angle but perpendicular to the surface. Evaporation is about 1.5l per day.

My skimmer is on 24hrs a day while lights is 8hrs a day.