Any suggestion for an effective fish trap?

Atreef

• SRC Member

ahaha i just corner it with my big net.......takes time.....n must be tactical too :yeah::yeah::yeah: hehehehhe

hapy nettin..... :eyeblur::eyeblur:

may take up a day...or more...heee..

...what are u missing from your life?... dun wait till your last breathe before telling them that you care

• SRC Member

I manage to catch my troublemaker coris wrasse by using a net-type quarrantine box.

1) Tie rope around the box. The rope must be long enough to extend outside the tank.

2) Lower the box into the tank.

3) Do not feed the fish for half or 1 day.

4) Wrap a box of brine shrimp around a 20 cents coin and poke a few holes or the box.

5) Drop the the brine shrimp into the quarrantine box.

6) Wait.......

7) When the fishes swims in...you know what to do.

• SRC Member

Hi All,

Try not to feed your fishes for 2-3 days, when you use box (plastic fish box, with fishing line for pull door close) with some bait inside and ofcos small LR to sink the box. most of hungry fish will go in for the food.. very fast u will get the fish you one out of your tank.

Not like Avatar ------- HOOKED ON FISH.....

:idea:

• SRC Member
Today is the 3rd day i starve the damsel. Still refuse to take the trap.

any suggestion?

With you box sitting on the sand bed how are you going to pull the door?

Even if the damsel goes in, you pull the door and the plastic tank will follow, which means they door will not be shut fast enough and properly, thus high possibility the fish will escape.

The nightmare is that if they escape once, don't ever dream they will go in again.

I suggest you use two sucker to hold the tank in position.

post-9-1066396264.jpg

dino07.gif

Today is the 3rd day i starve the damsel. Still refuse to take the trap.

any suggestion?

1. Remove the trap.

2. Off all your pumps

3. On the same spot, dig the sand to make a small 'well', say of 1 ft diameter.

4. drain water to container(s) big enough to contain your volume

5. as water gets lesser in tank, the damsel will swim to the 'well'

6. net the naughty fellow

7. pump back those container water to your tank

Hope this help.

• SRC Member

Even if the damsel goes in, you pull the door and the plastic tank will follow, which means they door will not be shut fast enough and properly, thus high possibility the fish will escape.

The nightmare is that if they escape once, don't ever dream they will go in again.

If you observe carefully, I attach a fishing line to the plastic door so that when the damsel goes into the tank. All i need to do is to pull the string IF the damsel goes in.. but now its not :(

post-9-1066397981.jpg

• SRC Member

If you observe carefully, I attach a fishing line to the plastic door so that when the damsel goes into the tank. All i need to do is to pull the string IF the damsel goes in.. but now its not :(

errr..... what I am trying to say is that. do you think that small pieces of pebbles is heavy enough to counter your pull? Try it out... I bet when you pull hard on the string, the whole tank will topple and the door will not close properly B)

fishes will escape :erm:

When I do is too feed them from inside and not starving them.

alternatively, tilt the door in a manner that only fishes of the size you trying to catch can go in. other bigger fishes can only watch from outside

dino07.gif

• SRC Member

errr..... what I am trying to say is that. do you think that small pieces of pebbles is heavy enough to counter your pull? Try it out... I bet when you pull hard on the string, the whole tank will topple and the door will not close properly B)

fishes will escape :erm:

When I do is too feed them from inside and not starving them.

alternatively, tilt the door in a manner that only fishes of the size you trying to catch can go in. other bigger fishes can only watch from outside

Ok Dinosaur, I appreciate your advise but how are you going to attach the 2 sucker onto your plastic trap?

How do you all manage to keep the brine shrimp from flowing out? It seems to me that damsel are only attracted to moving things

• SRC Member

To attach the sucker, first you have to drill two hole which is slightly smaller than the head of the sucker, force it through and then use something to hold it in position (prevent it from falling off). see picture

Brine shrimp when frozen will float. Basic rule is to keep your trap away from direct current, push it into the furthest concer away from the door, without current disturbance even if it melts, it will just settle at the bottom of the tank and not drift out.

post-9-1066400140.jpg

dino07.gif

• SRC Member

But i thought damsel are attracted to moving things? If the brine shrimp melt and settle just at the trap, will the damsel still be attracted?

• SRC Member

But i thought damsel are attracted to moving things? If the brine shrimp melt and settle just at the trap, will the damsel still be attracted?

No in my case so I cannot answer your question.

Another issue, if you are not confident to catch them at the first time when they go in (damsel reaction is very fast), then just sit back and relax. I use to extend my fishing line long enough for me to hold it while sitting in front of the TV. Let them get use to eating inside the trap first, when it becomes comfortable with eating from within then it can be caught at a much lower risk

dino07.gif

• SRC Member

Wonder how big your damsel is man?? :lol:

If you try a few attempt and if it fail, better dun try anymore coz it will not only stress the damsel but the rest of the fishes also..

Use seaweed and attached it inside the tank, they will go.. ;)

And switch off the Tank light also so that their sense of direction is gone.. :blink:

If still doesnt work, then no choice...use two hand with net.. Take the LR out and grab that joker out.. :angry:

:lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Member
Wonder how big your damsel is man?? :lol:

If you try a few attempt and if it fail, better dun try anymore coz it will not only stress the damsel but the rest of the fishes also..

Use seaweed and attached it inside the tank, they will go.. ;)

And switch off the Tank light also so that their sense of direction is gone.. :blink:

If still doesnt work, then no choice...use two hand with net.. Take the LR out and grab that joker out.. :angry:

:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for the useful advice... greatly appreciated. :)

• SRC Member

donno if true or not but I think red light has little effect on fish, ie. they will still think its nite and sleep. so maybe off all lights so your tank is pitch black, have a red torchlight wait for fish to sleep then catch the bugger? I tried catching my damsel b4 when it sleeps (w/o red light just off tank light and wait, room light still on so fish isn't blind), you can get pretty close to it, but mine sleeps near LR such that its awkard to net it, so by the time I adjust it always wakes up.

• SRC Member
donno if true or not but I think red light has little effect on fish, ie. they will still think its nite and sleep. so maybe off all lights so your tank is pitch black, have a red torchlight wait for fish to sleep then catch the bugger? I tried catching my damsel b4 when it sleeps (w/o red light just off tank light and wait, room light still on so fish isn't blind), you can get pretty close to it, but mine sleeps near LR such that its awkard to net it, so by the time I adjust it always wakes up.

So did you managed to net it? mine sleep in a cave, catching it is.. sigh~

• SRC Member

Day 5- 19/10/2003. 7.15pm

After countless attempt to trap the yellow-tail damsel out of my tank, finally decided to improve the fish trap after listening to some bro's useful advice.

Drilled 2 holes on the trap and attach sucker pad to it. Brine shrimp wrap in plastic bag with opening to allow brine shrimp to flow out smoothly and slowly

5.46pm - Mount the trap onto the glass, squat in of the tank with the string in my hand

6.00pm - first contact, damsel went to the trap and start poking the plastic trap cover. Almost wanted to pull the string when it came out again

7.10pm - needless to say.. almost squat in front of the tank for about and hour plus, doze off twice. Decide to push the trap lower and loosen the brine shrimps so that they start floating around. The damsel making a mad dash into the trap and i PULL!!!!!

post-9-1066580599.jpg