Carnation Corals Melting!!!!

255 255 255 0

:o

:unsure:

:erm:

:cry:

those smileys describe how im feeling right now....

i bought 5 carnation corals, knowing what they were and seeing them in full bloom in the LFS.

but right after the transportation ordeal. some of them seemed to have melted and even shedded their fur. litter everywhere

i bought 2 purples, 1 orange, 1 maroon and 1 white

the white melted until it looked like a ragcloth

the maroon melted and now seems to go south

the orange shedded all its fur and now ###### in its unglory

the 2 purples are holding their solid state but seemed to be dropping by the hour.

are these symptoms common for newly bought carnation corals?

im expecting 2 answers here i believe and these are:

1. they will regain and recurperate in a few days.

OR

2. they are goners, bud...observe them wilt to coral goo.

so the verdict is.....which one is it?

• SRC Member

I suppose your carnation are those with very bright colored coral.

if so they are quite difficult to keep.

1. They dun need lights, preferred to be under shade.

2. They requires high flow with lots of plankton sweeping pass them.

3. Established tank is very much preferred, even that they dies easily in old tanks.

Looks like you bought a bunch of experts corals that many dun dare to venture..

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

:( I've tried before & they juz wouldn't survive for more than a mth in captivity no matter how much nutrients u feed them. :sick:<_< They juz shriveled in size till u only see a 'Sponge Bob'. :lol:

:huh: My advice is to be prepared to discard them b4 they pollutes ya water parameters. Hard choice but no choice if u want to play safe lor. ;)

i did just that, hanging them upside down yesterday and feeding them with zooplex twice a day. 2 corals have inflated back to health and the big one is on its way there. 2 other corals have been shredded to goo tissue by the tangs. my purple tang eats them!

is it to do with both coming from the same area? ie. Red Sea and Hawaii?

• SRC Member

This coral is under non-phytosyntesis corals. It need dim lighting with daily feeding,moderate flows and 26 temp. Together with clean water condition also.

For so far, experts is unable to found what carnation coral actually do eating. Some depend on Live phyoplanktons and some depend on pods.

Experts recommend that leave those non-phytosyntesis corals back into the sea.

Hope it's help.

• 3 months later...

I've had my Carnation coral for almost two years now...the secret is a system filled with high nutrient and not overly skimmed to Hell! :eyebrow:

I feed mine DT Phytoplankton, ReefRoids, Rotifers, DT Golden Pearls (Oyster Eggs) and let it stand skimless for the next 24 hours!! Yes...24 hours.

I find the Tonga species as being the hardiest as compared to the other regions.

HTH,

Paul