Light Tube Recommendation

• SRC Member

hey hope you guys can help,

my brother current is using a strong light with 2 36W PL tube, 1 tube of 10,000K white light and 1 tube of antrinic light (blue light).

tank is 2feet, light casing is 2feet, tank with coral without chilller but got fan.

i have a few questions,

what is the blue light for? for growing coral?

is the white light too strong?

his tank is growing lots of algea and purple and grow stuffs, the shop at balestier told him that the lights are too strong, ask him to change to purple/ultraviolet lights, what kind of light is this?

i need to change my bro's light tube to suitable ones, can anyone help please? thanks!!!

my brother current is using a strong light with 2 36W PL tube, 1 tube of 10,000K white light and 1 tube of antrinic light (blue light).

what is the blue light for? for growing coral?

is the white light too strong?

his tank is growing lots of algea and purple and grow stuffs, the shop at balestier told him that the lights are too strong, ask him to change to purple/ultraviolet lights, what kind of light is this?

i need to change my bro's light tube to suitable ones, can anyone help please? thanks!!!

Ans: The blue light is probably ordinary blue lights or it could be the true actinic 03 light. You have to double check.

The diff... blue light is light blue in colour and does not make corals flourescent much. The actinic one is deep purple and corals glow in the dark! The price diff is also pretty obvious: actinics are very expensive for PL lights.

PL lights, white or blue, are never too strong. The appearance of nuisance algae or cyanobacteria is because of excessive nutrients or phosphates in the water.

If you are using 6500k bulbs, that might also be the cause as it is believed the high amounts of reds and yellows in the light spectrum is well-liked by algae.

You do not need to change any lights as your 10,000k and actinics (pls check) are fine.

Hope that helps.

ps - I moved your post to this forum as it is more appropriate.

Achilles

I been using the same setting in my former 2f tank and it runs fine. And after u work out the number, it is roughly about 1g = ~2.7W of light which is suitable for marine (some even find it low). But i guess there is one more question that need to ans. How long does your bro on the light?

btw, when u mentioned purple algae is it the coraline algae? I thought that is good and will only show up when u have good water quality?

• SRC Member

bluebeard,

if i'm not wrong, the tank is still cycling & its a diatom bloom(mostly happens during the first few months) (they look in the range from dark red to brown) just like the blue-green algae in freshwater aquariums.

a full safe cycle will be ard 3mths until everything established.Its takes much longer than freshwater.

only after 6mths did mine stop.

pointing a powerhead towards the algae bloom will help to reduce it over time.

the actinic part is really needed if u do not use metal H. lighting(if using FL it sort of becomes compulsory)-should be the same for PL. u will be surprised how much of this light help corals grow.

But stick to hardy ones like button & star polyps,mushrooms,bubbles,leathers etc.(these inveterbrates also allow u to mix wif more fishes & shrimps)

stay clear of clams & stony corals unless u ensure calcium & very high amt of light.

• SRC Member
bluebeard,

if i'm not wrong, the tank is still cycling & its a diatom bloom(mostly happens during the first few months) (they look in the range from dark red to brown) just like the blue-green algae in freshwater aquariums.

a full safe cycle will be ard 3mths until everything established.Its takes much longer than freshwater.

only after 6mths did mine stop.

pointing a powerhead towards the algae bloom will help to reduce it over time.

the actinic part is really needed if u do not use metal H. lighting(if using FL it sort of becomes compulsory)-should be the same for PL. u will be surprised how much of this light help corals grow.

But stick to hardy ones like button & star polyps,mushrooms,bubbles,leathers etc.(these inveterbrates also allow u to mix wif more fishes & shrimps)

stay clear of clams & stony corals unless u ensure calcium & very high amt of light.

Bawater, I'm adding a bit to your post, hope you don't mind :P

Actinics are needed is the color temp. of the lights in Kelvin are below

10 000k . That's because those lights are too close to the red spectrum for comfort.

The calcium and high light part is perfectly right. Do you mean bubble corals? Aren't those hard corals??? :huh:

• SRC Member

thks hong,

forgot to add. abt 10k & below. actually 10k also need.

bubbles seem to do fine with my FL- but i feed them regular wif pieces of prawns- every2-3days, when i feed anemones.

i just use liquid calcium supp.

blue- got to chk whether the tube is a moon or reaL acitinic, the blue moon tubes are mainly used just for viewing.

• SRC Member
bubbles seem to do fine with my FL- but i feed them regular wif pieces of prawns- every2-3days, when i feed anemones.

Bawater,

I read somewhere that anemones use up quite a lot of energy just to digest foods, so it would be better to feed less or more digestible particles such as mysis. P.S What anemones do you have?

I remember once I was at The Reef World and I saw a tubeworm poking out of the sand in the carpet anemone tank. It had a pretty nice crown and I wanted to buy it, so I dug a bit for it's tube. When I found the tube the worm jumped out the other end and got stuck on a carpet! It was too late to save it.... gone in 5 secs. Lucky for me no one saw..... :ph34r:

Bawater,

I read somewhere that anemones use up quite a lot of energy just to digest foods, so it would be better to feed less or more digestible particles such as mysis. P.S What anemones do you have?

I remember once I was at The Reef World and I saw a tubeworm poking out of the sand in the carpet anemone tank. It had a pretty nice crown and I wanted to buy it, so I dug a bit for it's tube. When I found the tube the worm jumped out the other end and got stuck on a carpet! It was too late to save it.... gone in 5 secs. Lucky for me no one saw..... :ph34r:

Haha... I'll tell Kenny and have you banned from stepping in to his shop!

j/k lah!

• SRC Member

Qixian- i got 2 rose bulbs,1 purple tip(in hiding)& 1 small sand anemone.

598472.jpg

this is one of the rose-

increased abt 1/4 of its size already, on regular feedings every 3-4days.

The other i feed every 7days.Not much increase-maybe 5% only.

But i use FL so got to supplement. just got 6x 36w PL- should fit them on by this week.

• SRC Member

i'm happy cause they were free & now they're growing. always wanted a clown/anemone pair.

My tomato wouldn't take to it.

Q- nope, that's a frogspawn behind it. but has since got off its skeleton & crawled into rockwork.

ach- try pac marine, these should have been abt $5 each cause they're small- they guy i took from had everything from pac marine- LR,tnk,skimmer,livestock,MH lights etc.

• 10 months later...