Lionfish

• SRC Member
bought the baby mollies from C328 for only $1.50. Inside at least got hundred mollies.

throw some into my tank and the sleeping lion is awaken.

if can try to feed some marine fish or invertebrate also... coz FW fish or shrimp dun have the nutrients that the lionfish need...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

the article that I read about lions, also say that feeding mollies and freshwater feeders, only to make the lion eat.. in the long run, need to feed lion with marine food, therefore, should try market prawns or squid....

apparently, we can try to 'false' feed the lion, in the article I read... the writer actually used some tongs to 'wiggle' a piece of prawn meat... and the lion was trained....

I still have not gotten my lions yet... tank still not ready.. plenty of problems with the filteration system.... :(

• SRC Member
the article that I read about lions, also say that feeding mollies and freshwater feeders, only to make the lion eat.. in the long run, need to feed lion with marine food, therefore, should try market prawns or squid....

apparently, we can try to 'false' feed the lion, in the article I read... the writer actually used some tongs to 'wiggle' a piece of prawn meat... and the lion was trained....

I still have not gotten my lions yet... tank still not ready.. plenty of problems with the filteration system.... :(

if i convert the molly to SW, does it consider marine food? :lol:

Current tank

Past tank

• SRC Member

if i convert the molly to SW, does it consider marine food? :lol:

nope... the nutrients inside still diff... thats only 治标不治本....

• SRC Member

yup!! this is a very good website. It also pointed out that the initial picture of the lions that I posted.. was wrongly identified by me.. :paiseh: both are Volitans.

But at least it was from that, that I ID'ed your lion correctly :)

this website is pretty informative.. and it does provide useful information for the preparations of a lion tank.

• SRC Member
Erm, I really don't know the exact address, but it's along Pasir Ris Farmway 2, quite near to the T-junction leading to main road. BTW, the shop does not sell feeder shrimps, it just happens that they have some for their own consumption (I mean for their fishes).

I have also seen some people catching shrimps at the coast along Sembawang Park. You may want to try your luck there as well. :P

The farm is at Lot 35, Pasir Ris Farmway 2. Went yesterday, got only a few feeder shrimps left.

• SRC Member
Hi all,

any Fishshop in the west you guy happen to see selling a lion fish?

Thought of getting another one. Thanks in advance.

fish farms have alot like CF. Fishshop in bukit batok blk164 sometime have.

Current tank

Past tank

• SRC Member

New lions spotted at the uncle shop at PR farmway 2. But all of them are Volitans. If you are looking for Fuzzy lions, there are two spotted at S.Formosa. But those guys there think its Fu Man Chus, so they are selling them for $15. Fu man chu have 2 feelers infront and a false eye back fin.. these guys.. anyhow Humtum only.. :angry:

Still waiting for the next shipment of lions to arrive at Irwana... :rolleyes:

Attached is a picture of a Fu Man chu.. check out the feelers and the back fin.. be knowledgable so that you are not fooled! :)

post-8-1164880495.jpg

• SRC Member
New lions spotted at the uncle shop at PR farmway 2. But all of them are Volitans. If you are looking for Fuzzy lions, there are two spotted at S.Formosa. But those guys there think its Fu Man Chus, so they are selling them for $15. Fu man chu have 2 feelers infront and a false eye back fin.. these guys.. anyhow Humtum only.. :angry:

Still waiting for the next shipment of lions to arrive at Irwana... :rolleyes:

Attached is a picture of a Fu Man chu.. check out the feelers and the back fin.. be knowledgable so that you are not fooled! :)

Haha. You are the expert. How's your Lion's den going on?

Current tank

Past tank

• SRC Member

No lah.. :paiseh: me no expert.. just that currently spending alot of time shopping for the right lions to keep... so reading up alot :D

I posted on my thread... for advice.. but so far.. no bros' reply... so would have to surf on my own to get the answers...

Tomorrow should have new shipment of lions in PR farmway 2. So checking it out...

Right now, I am alittle concern that my new additionals to my tank will be eaten up by my turbo snails... :(

I planning for a 2 lion tank.. hopefully to get a Antennata and a Zebra.. or if there are the red fuzzy lion or a Fu man chu.

both Fuzzy lion and the FMC have the semi round pec fins, so my plan is to keep only one of them.. not both of them... and as for the antennata and the dwarf zebra, they have the nice thin strips that the FMC and F.L dun have... so.. its art for the eyes! :yeah:

BTW.. I realised that one of the ways of telling whether your lion is male of female ( this may not be true for ALL lions) is to look at the bands of the pecs.. usually female have 6 or less.. and the males have more than 6.. so if exactly 6 how? :whistle

I also dun know.. just hear say hear say only... :P

post-8-1164901155.jpg

• SRC Member

bro DOM,

your setup is very impressive.. some day i hope to have a large marine tank like yours. For now though.. i think i would have to make do with my 2 footer. :P

I think the experience that I have with this 2 footer will be invaluable.. i must say.. I have learnt quite alot over the last couple of weeks.

Marine aquaria is not like fresh water... the amount of work is tremendous.. but the rewards certainly higher.. :P

I watched your video will great interest.. and I hope to share with you my joy if and when I get my lions...

Hope to see more updates from you in the near future! :)

• SRC Member
bro DOM,

your setup is very impressive.. some day i hope to have a large marine tank like yours. For now though.. i think i would have to make do with my 2 footer. :P

I think the experience that I have with this 2 footer will be invaluable.. i must say.. I have learnt quite alot over the last couple of weeks.

Marine aquaria is not like fresh water... the amount of work is tremendous.. but the rewards certainly higher.. :P

I watched your video will great interest.. and I hope to share with you my joy if and when I get my lions...

Hope to see more updates from you in the near future! :)

Caleb, thanks for the compliment but mine tank still far from impressive. I started out with planted tank too, only switched over to the "dark" side a year ago. Still learning along the way.

BTW, do u think it is possible to keep two lions in my 3ft tank?

Current tank

Past tank

• SRC Member

Hi DOM,

2 lions in a 3 ft? :rolleyes: that's too much space liow... actually it depends, on your landscaping. IF you have a ton of rocks and sps inside.. than where got space?

Ok.. instead of advice.. thus making me sound like an expert, which i really am not as i such a newbie when it comes to marine.. :P , I will share with you my thoughts and aspirations if I should have a 3 footer..

Here's my thoughts:

Marine, I realised is truly intriguing, because of the lights of colors and micro-organisms that are available, due to the different types of light.

Lions, they command respect (venomous) and in return you have a beauty that swims and hunts 'gracefully'.

My setup list :

Lighting, will have 2 setup.. one is blue light... the other will be PL4.. mimick noon time light. ( both will be set on timer)

Filteration system. sump tank if not, at least a surface skimmer and 2 cannisters.

Live rocks with mushies and macro algae, good coraltine algae.

sand bed at least 2 inches deep with coral sand, a couple of turbo snails and a sand shifter hermit. ( i would need a good cleaning crew)

My lions, one radiata, one antennata, one FMC, one zebra and one fuzzy.

The first to go in the tank, must be the FMC.. because of its size... the last to go in, is the radiata, as they tend to be large. As for the fuzzy lion, my thoughts are to keep a look out for the rarer ones, the reds and the yellow fins. I would take my time to add the lions in, not trying to get all 5 at the same time. The trick of the game is to be patient, just like fishing. :P Of course, if on that day, the supplier had tiny radiata and antennata.. then its a different story. The thing is, these lions are predatory, therefore, if you intend to comm them, you need to start small, else they'd be like trying to eat each other!

My arrangement of the liverock and selection process will be to bear in mind, that the tank will only have frontal view, that way, both corals and lions will havea feeling that they are in a cave.. they will feel secure. The decor of the tank, will ensure that I get to see my lions, even while they hide, so, create lots of peep holes and tunnels. As much as you like to peep at the lions, they also enjoy peeping and watch you.. :P

Opps! quite a long reply.. sorry.. got carried away with dreaming.. :P

• SRC Member
Wow, you intend to keep 5 lions in 2 ft tank. I think my tank can keep more lions liao. Where do you stay? can go visit your lion?

hi bro,

as mentioned in my long winded post, the 5 lions will be kept in a 3 footer. Not a 2 footer.

My marine tank, unfortunately is in my office.. so that would not be possible to view. Some day, I hope to setup one up at home.

• SRC Member

nice lion you have to.. :P

I went back to the office to check on my zebra.. bad news, it died. :(

Now.. i am thinking.. maybe i should get a antennata instead of a zebra..

bro, for your tank, maybe you should get a radiata ? Radiata lion is really one of the more beautiful and unique lion around...

• SRC Member

i was reading my old post on this thread, and i realised that when i was trying to make a distinction between an antennata and a zebra.. i forgot to mention an important distinction.. and that is the pec fin...

the zebra has a more rounder pec fin, as in the pec fin web extends outwards.. but for the antennata, as you can see from yourself, the web is only halfway.. :P

Live and learn.... :D

• SRC Member

Recently I'd bought a 3 inches lionfish of the same kind. After about 2 weeks, my 7 inches lion seem to making a move for mating (I guess). It discharged a white colour substance and this substance flowed like a ribbon and it stuck on the LRs in the tank. I guess it was its sperm. A few times in a month it happened.

The 3 inches Lionfish will hiding and last month it went missing .......till now.

post-8-1165765655.jpg