DIY overflow pipe not working ...

big_ben102000

• SRC Member

hey i put the pipings i made into used today. it was unable to displace enough water from the tank into my sump :o there was only a small drizzle of water coming out. anyone can help me solve this problem ? btw i cant take the pipings out i will have to empty my tank move the tank out 4 inches or more to get it out ... :cry:

the diameter of the pipings i am using is 25mm

there is the pic

post-9-1164793488.jpg

• SRC Member

btw i didnt fill water to any other parts of the pipings .. i juz pour water in while the ball valve is closed though the opening where the end-cap is ... then when i turn the ball valve ... after a big splash of water only a small stream of water come out .. far too little, my sump tank run dry soon after

• SRC Member

Your pipe on the T-joint leading to the air is a bit short and is there any ventilation at the top? The length should be slightly longer than the 1st overflow tube.

And if you want bigger flow, the T-joint should be moved lower down to give higher water pressure.

Check and see if it helps.

• SRC Member

there is cap on the top. i thought this system works like a toliet bowl ? sorry for my crudness .. so as long as the entire portion of pipings juz before the T joint is filled, the deplacment rate of the water would be the same as the rate of the water coming in ? correct me if i am wrong.

• SRC Member

wat i think is there is air trapped at the top (labelled in blue) so there have to be sufficient water pressure from the bottom to compress the air in that portion for the water to flow through. the pipes are already placed in the tank the water in the column (the one that prevent the flooding of the sump doesnt seem to lower

post-9-1164796410.jpg

• SRC Member

Have u tried ###### the air out instead of pouring water in ..?

Do the same thing, like closing the the ball valve. Then suck the air out from the top( where u used to pour water in).

Then cover the top, and open the valve.. then fast flowing water can get rid of some air left in the bend..

after a short while.. open the top to let it regulate itself..

Hope this will help..

• SRC Member

Hey bro,

another simple modification u can do.

insert an air-tube as shown in the pic below before u put back the surface skimmer.

then u try to suck air out from the airtube.

the rest of the procedure will be the same..

This should work liao .. so far this is the best mod i did for my overflow

post-9-1164891738.jpg

• SRC Member

thanks bro. i already did the modifications make the T joint nearer and stuff ... still in the process of sticking the picpes back... troublesome stuff.. i will get some air tubes 2moro hope is works

thanks bro appreciate the help !

• SRC Member

bro i had ur same problem last time..

adjusting this and that..

then end up with the still small flowrate

invest a bit $$$, get a 2nd hand i-box from reefers..

thats wat i do ..

now no worries abt the flow..

oso no worries that it will stop..

• SRC Member

haha nvm i will make another one and test again. i think the diameter of the pipe i used was too wide. will try again with a smaller diameter pipe. if it still doesnt work then i will try with other design. getting a i box will be the last option i guess

cheers

attached is a picture of my DIY overflow pipe. The dimensions is basically 1ft / 1.5ft (cannot remember which) , largely depending on the depth of your tank. 25mm pipe size is good as I feel smaller pipe size, the flow is too slow.

post-9-1165329961.jpg

• SRC Member

hmm... ok to kick start.. i will have to close my ball valve and fill the pipw with water through the pipe connected to the T joint till it full and release the ball valve right ? it will kick start the water flow ?

• SRC Member

i changed my previous pipeto a smaller dia n able to get fatser flow at a lower noise level...but i have to say..u T joint is a bit too high...u might want to look at those tested models on the DIY section for more reference...happy diy

Henry Tan

Sembawang

3x1.5x1.5 2.5x1x1.5

LS

1xfire clown/ 1xyellow boxer

1xpercular/ 1xcoral beauty

1xboxer/ 2xfire shrimps

1xcoral beauty/ 2xfalse clowns

2xhawk fish/ 1xane crab

1xyellow tail damsel/ 2xcleaners

3xturbo snails

2xhermits

1xtomato clown

Set up.....

Sump - Done

DIY Cabinet - Done

DIY Overflow Pipe - Done

• SRC Member

i am gonna change to a 4000 - 4500L/hr pumkp very soon. the protein layer is also building up pretty fast on the surface. since bro colinsoon's design work i will follow his and look up for more tested designs online. if it still doesnt work.. i will stick to my previous method. pumping water in and out using powerheads...