WARNING! chemical nitrate remover

johntanjm

• SRC Member

let me say I'm in no way trying to undermine this product. I've spent a fair sum on it, used it, and spent an even greater amount of money verifying if what i claim is true through repeated tests and experiments. So far everything is only based on my own experimentation. I'm hoping bro's out there who are using this, can re-affirm this thread.

Product in question: PURA NitrateLock

Effectiveness: Nitrates can never reach ZERO even in a pail of water

Side effects: Zaps all your magnesium, maybe other things too

I've been trying to raise MG levels for the past week if you track my other threads. I'm using a very concetrated MG additive but MG levels never go up. I removed NitrateLock from my filter and subsequent MG dosing immediately became effective in raising MG levels

I did a further test. I had one bucket, couple of litres of aquarium water with MG levels at 1200. I dipped NitrateLock into it repeatedly like a teabag for 5mins. I tested the bucket, MG fell to 800.

I tested nitrates on the same bucket. nitrates was at 0.3. at the rate at which is absorbs MG, why isn't it doing the same for nitrates? I'd expect Nitrate to be undetectable

Also I don't know if it absorbs other elements.

Possible Outcomes:

You prepare salt water with premium marine salt with best combi of trace elements etc. Run it once through NitrateLock and all the goodness is all gone. When that happens you either buy additives or change ALOT of water to rectify the problem.

Assumptions and possible overlooks:

1.NitrateLock itself has very complicated instructions, must intiate it with hardwater, can rejuvenate with table salt. Maybe i didn't start it right or i'm not using it correctly.

2.My MG test kit is salifert and its reputable. NO3 i'm using Tetra so i dont know if you guys trust it as much.

-----------------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in my HDB

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

Assumptions and possible overlooks:

1.NitrateLock itself has very complicated instructions, must intiate it with hardwater, can rejuvenate with table salt. Maybe i didn't start it right or i'm not using it correctly

Eh. i'm jus curious.

If it can be rejuvinated with table salt (i presumed mixed with water). Isn't the water in our tanks salt water???

Ain't you rejuvenating it all this while??

Rod

• SRC Member

Eh. i'm jus curious.

If it can be rejuvinated with table salt (i presumed mixed with water). Isn't the water in our tanks salt water???

Ain't you rejuvenating it all this while??

Rod

Actually I was thinking th exact same thing when I was reading the label at a shop.

Which also means nitrate, instead of absorbed, is realeased back into a marine tank? Or its some self sustaining media where it absorbs nitrate and at the same time regenerating, in a marine tank?

Or is this only effective in a normal FW tank?

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member
bro y not consider using carbon n phosphate remover ...? i believe its enough to remove all the harmful substances in marine .....

I think he needs to control the Nitrate. Purely GAC or phosphate removal media doesn't control Nitrate.

To control nitrate, ensure better skimming and water flow to skimmer. Just remember that if stuff in the water is skimmed out before it breaks down, nitrate will not be formed. Of course there will always be breakdown but just to what extend.

Of course, you can also add a denitrator :P. .. just try not to go for the quick and easy way.. you never know what you are adding with those media or liquid.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

May i know the rest of ur parameter ...

phew .. quite a number of us are using nitratelock and i was a ex user too , remove it after i decom my canister and rely on my skimmer solely . what can i say , this nitrate level seem to be lower without nitratelock ( my own experience, maybe my canister is NO3 factory itself)...

if this is true .... it will be terrible .

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

Hammy: pH:8 dKH:12 Mg:1200 Ca:420 NO2:0 NO3:25 PO4:0 I sincerely hoped that there's something wrong in the way i used nitratelock or conducted my tests cos nitratelock is NOT cheap. For that price, RowaPhos does so much of a better job removing phosphates.

arcanehacker: i bought my nitatelock at a place selling specifically ONLY marine products so i believe its not just for FW.

alex826768: I run chemipure and rowaphos. at first i thought chemipure carbon was the culprit as most people will say carbon will be the cause but I was very surprised to discover that it was nitrateLock.

rodmarine: marine salt and table salt is different. regnerate using TABLE salt.

skimming cannot be perfect solution and though in theory nitrates can be removed by bio filtation, it is very hard to achieve. so I intended nitrateLock to zapp off all the remainding nitrates.

now i wonder how are things like strotium, trace elements etc.

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

Did you rinse with hard water before using it?

Singapore tap water is not considered hard water. add abit of Sodium Bicarbonate and Calcium Carbonate then rinse the resin about 5 times I believe.

I tested my nitra lock... doesn't seem to soak up magnisium....

used a new packet added MgS04 to to bucket of recently changeg tank water and dropped in the resin...

only like dropped 20ppm for a 12 liter pail...

That's why I dun believe in using Chemical to remove Ammonia, NO2 and NO3 unless it is an absolute emergency/disaster... I read that a lot of chemicals mask the nutrients from the test kits... not totally eliminating them from the system!

Same goes for Western medicine... every tablet you swallow... will create other problems (sooner or later) :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica