Acclimatization

• SRC Member

To be on the safe side, u can drip tank water into the bag slowly while floating them in the tank; this is to ensure they dont get stressed by any change in water parameters suddenly! Notice dat when u mix the water in the LFS bags and yr tank water, there is a 'steaming' effect in the water - this is cause most LFS keep their waters at a lower salinity (or so i heard) normally, compared to ours...

By throwing them in suddenly u risk shocking them or at the very least stressing them out, making them prone to death or disease...

Note that Inverts MUST be drip-acclimatised over 3 to 4 hrs; i have lost some shrimp and snails before when i didnt do that!!! Maybe its cause: "THE TANK IS TOO SALTY"...

:lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Member

Er i wouldnt agree on netting the lifestock...i prefer to release the buggers by letting them swim out of the bag (not too much worries abt diseases getting into yr tank really, if only 1/4 of the LFS water is left after doing all that pouring!?!?!)

• SRC Member

Just like to ask, is there a possibilty that lfs water has copper in them to keep the fish healthy?? Of coz not for the coral ones, but the fishies one?.. me too din really bother about "diseased" water from lfs.. but suddenly just thought about the copper....

• SRC Member

CKS : i heard that snails shld be acc. even more longer den fishes! AT mentioned they are a bit different!

btw wedgee, if u just pour in the fish wif the water, den u not scared of unwanted stuff from the LFS water getting into ur tank? :rolleyes:B)

Get Paid To Read Emails. Free To Join Now!

http://www.emailcashpro.com/?r=okdk11

• SRC Member

haha, somehow it works for me

anyway the "Good" Dr cant be always rite

newdamsel: look at the tank u got the fish from, r there any invert?

or just simple ask the vendor if they've dosed copper in that tank.

• SRC Member

Hey, u guys got a point abt the copper part...but since i have stocked my tank full of fish (damn ladies of the house made me...word of advise, dont bring them to the LFS! :rolleyes: ), i dont worry abt it. The tanks where the corals come from dont have fish normally, so...

Oh yah, btw, if my observation is correct, i think most LFS use a central system to control their water? I see these huge water containers or main filter systems in those Pasir Ris and seletar fish farms...

CKS u throw yr snails in and they survive, yet i drip-acclimate mine for hrs and they still die after 3 days, SIGH!!! :(

• SRC Member

Em, how does your LFS pack your snails?

Half bag filled with water? or just enough water to keep them damp?

Normally they would give me just enough water to keep them damp.. so i would just dumped them in rite away as soon as i got home.

do a search on "snail acclimation" on the forum in RC

lots of discussion on it

Dr Ron stated high survival rate for snails if trasported damp.

Gotto try it for yourself to believe

• SRC Member

Sigh, which is why i'm baffled regarding why my snails and shrimp always die on me while u guys can just throw them in!!!

I think there's something wrong with my water, the snails all go stoner for a few days before dying on me and the shrimps go on the second day i put them in! Only 'symptom' available is dat they all go stiff or jaded like they were given tranquilisers and they usually get yellow or brownish stains in their meat...think there must be some copper or other chemical in the water.

But strange thing is, 2 Coral Banded Shrimp and 2 red urchins i bot have survived well!!! Cleaner shrimp and snails, on the other hand....sigh

Any ways to see or test if something is killing them? Where to get invert test kits? Me just giving up on them...

CKS-maybe i'll try the damp approach in the future, but not until i find out wats wrong with me water... :(