Aquavista99's new SPS reef

aquavista99

• SRC Member

I recently shut down my 75 and 90 g reefs and moved the livestock to my new 180g SPS reef w/ 125g sump. I found this site after reading about Daniel Gan's (danano) amazing Reef Aquarium on Reefcentral. My name is Tim and I am from the United States. My reef is still a work in progress...have not hooked up my new skimmer or calcium reactor yet, but hope to do so soon.

coralupdatenov06258.jpg

coralupdatenov06248.jpg

coralupdatenov06223.jpg

coralupdatenov06222.jpg

coralupdatenov06220.jpg

coralupdatenov06218.jpg

coralupdatenov06211.jpg

coralupdatenov06208.jpg

coralupdatenov06207.jpg

coralupdatenov06243.jpg

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
Nice, must have cost a bomb since u are in the states.

Thanks for the compliment, KennethK. I keep the costs down by purchasing most of my equipment online via mail order companies, and my local fish shop always gives me great deals on salt mix and food, etc. I do most of the work myself to keep costs down as well, like all the electrical, plumbing and building stands, etc.

Here are a few more pictures. My skimmer should arrive next week....back-ordered for a month now.

coralupdatenov06287.jpg

coralupdatenov06283.jpg

coralupdatenov06271.jpg

coralupdatenov06272.jpg

coralupdatenov06209.jpg

• SRC Member

Great looking setup , Tim. Keep the updates coming.... :eyebrow:

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member
Nice... Is this located in yr house or some other parts. We in Singapore would never have the luxury of having a tank like this.

The aquarium is located in the basement of our house. I am running three 400 watt halide lamps plus another 175 watt halide lamp for the sump. Since the basement is underground, I have no need for chillers.....the system never goes above 80 degrees during the Winter....May need to add a few small fans for the summer months. I live in the Midwest part of the USA....gets hot in the Summer and cold in the Winter.

• SRC Member
wah u build the tank urself?

Yes, I did most the work myself. I paid a carpenter to build my display aquarium stand and canopy, but I stained and finished it myself. I also paid my local fish shop to build and drill my 125 gallon sump for me. Everything else I did myself.

coralupdatenov06165.jpg

coralupdatenov06212.jpg

coralupdatenov06120.jpg

exciting basement u have there.

guess u must have a lot fun with all the toys and DIYing urself.

the SPS looks great

do keep the update coming in.

really envy u guys to have such space to build great reef. :)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

Hi Aquavista,

Great tank setup and Indeed a DIY guru B) Mind if I asked what is the two rods that is on the front glass panel ? Looks like a heater rod ? Could it that the weather be too cold till u got to introduced the heater to increase the temperature ? :unsure:

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

• SRC Member
Hi Aquavista,

Great tank setup and Indeed a DIY guru B) Mind if I asked what is the two rods that is on the front glass panel ? Looks like a heater rod ? Could it that the weather be too cold till u got to introduced the heater to increase the temperature ? :unsure:

You are right, those rods are heaters (now located in my sump and overflows). The reef has only been up and running for less than two months. Before the sump was finished, I placed all my livestock in the main display so I could sell off my old equipment and tanks, etc. If you look closely at the above picture, you will see that the water level is low as well, because the overflows were not plumbed yet without a sump connected.

This is what the reef looks like now ....no visible heaters and plumbed to the sump :)

coralupdatenov06258.jpg

coralupdatenov06200.jpg

coralupdatenov06194.jpg

• SRC Member
exciting basement u have there.

guess u must have a lot fun with all the toys and DIYing urself.

the SPS looks great

do keep the update coming in.

really envy u guys to have such space to build great reef. :)

Thanks, hammy! Actually, if i had extra $$$, I would not DIY at all. But thanks to this hobby, I now know how to do plumbing and electrical work. I will post more pictures once my calcium reactor is installed and when my new skimmer arrives.

Welcome to SRC!!! Do get your protein skimmer up and running soon :) More pix please :thanks:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
Welcome to SRC!!! Do get your protein skimmer up and running soon  :)  More pix please  :thanks:

I was told that my new skimmer will be shipped today or tomorrow, so I should get it within a week. It's is a large Euro-Reef skimmer with three pumps. I will keep the pictures coming. I recently posted some reef pictures from a snorkel and dive trip from Hawaii.....posted in the Scuba/dive forum....you should check them out...here is a preview ...

10060012.jpg

10070012.jpg