Display your fowlr tank here!!

• SRC Member
Hi all, just to check with U all?how to keep a succesful FOWLR?Is it copper is the main solution?My fish keep getting ich or other sickness and dead. Reef tank seems to be easy for me as most ppl feel that fish only are easier.Hai! :(

Bro, if i may comment, the success of fowlr is actually not easy especially if you wish to go for delicate fishes. And unfortunately most of the nice fishes are delicate. I believe your fishes are sick because of water quality, stress/ aggression or heavy bioload (which is common for fowlr keepers as we like to go for as many fishes as possible to make our fowlr tank look nice).

My advice to have a successful fowlr will be clean water (with regular water change and good skimmer), bacteria killing device (UV or ozoniser), do not stock up too much (unless u have the time to keep changing water) and feed your fish with a variety of food.

Maybe u would like to share what fishes and tank/ equipment you have so as to aid other reefers to give more specific advices.

:thanks:

4x1.5x2.3 home tank

6x2x2.3 office tank

Hi Bro Earth,

:thanks: for yr advise :bow:

Act. my current fish only use to be a reef tank till I set up another one which is a yr ago.

Its a 422 tank with a acrylic sump (1st compartment with top cotton wool n below live rocks), beck skimmer, FR, chillier(set at 28deg), ATman UV 9w and T5 54w x 4. I do water change per pail every wk.

The old fishes which I did not transfer over to the new tank is perfectly ok, except the new ones which norm don last more than a mth no doubt is feeding, esp. all my favourites Angels :cry2:

I m wondering is it the cause of the DSB which I set up in 2004, which is ard exhausted :huh: , cos before I did my transfer of livestocks into the new tank everytin were ok, even I had more than 30 fishes in it with corals. The only different compare to last time is 2x250w MH replace by T5 and temp raise to 28deg, but now my fish only are less than 10 fishes. :sick::o

Hai..really don understand and admi. :ooh: others FOWL :(

• SRC Member
Hi Bro Earth,

:thanks: for yr advise :bow:

Act. my current fish only use to be a reef tank till I set up another one which is a yr ago.

Its a 422 tank with a acrylic sump (1st compartment with top cotton wool n below live rocks), beck skimmer, FR, chillier(set at 28deg), ATman UV 9w and T5 54w x 4. I do water change per pail every wk.

The old fishes which I did not transfer over to the new tank is perfectly ok, except the new ones which norm don last more than a mth no doubt is feeding, esp. all my favourites Angels :cry2:

I m wondering is it the cause of the DSB which I set up in 2004, which is ard exhausted :huh: , cos before I did my transfer of livestocks into the new tank everytin were ok, even I had more than 30 fishes in it with corals. The only different compare to last time is 2x250w MH replace by T5 and temp raise to 28deg, but now my fish only are less than 10 fishes. :sick::o

Hai..really don understand and admi. :ooh: others FOWL :(

Hi Ash,

Juz curious. Did ya check ya water parameter? I bet ya did. :)

Frankly speaking, with your equipment, I think they are more then enough for a FOWL. [much better then mine]

so ya transfer ya DSB from old tank to new one? I do not think a DSB will ever exhausted. probably, disturbing the DSB will cause an ammonia spike in ya tank. Ya use back ya old tank water?

I will advise to leave ya tank as it is without any more addition of livestock. Quarantine new arrival for 1 month before adding them into main, I suspect there is existing ick bateria in ya tank floating ard.... and an UV will not help.

:)

Hi Bro ah-lim,

thks for yr advise, :bow:

Anyway, I did not disturb my DSB for my fish only when I shift my corals over to the new tank at all, maybe the shifting of the rock works more or less affected the system, but I did not touch those base rocks which r in the sand bed to prevent disturbing the DSB. :shock:

Mayb as you say I don add anymore live stocks and change water more reg. no doubt the NH4 n NO2 r '0' and NO3 is minimal. :( Hope this help :(

• SRC Member
Hi Bro ah-lim,

thks for yr advise, :bow:

Anyway, I did not disturb my DSB for my fish only when I shift my corals over to the new tank at all, maybe the shifting of the rock works more or less affected the system, but I did not touch those base rocks which r in the sand bed to prevent disturbing the DSB. :shock:

Mayb as you say I don add anymore live stocks and change water more reg. no doubt the NH4 n NO2 r '0' and NO3 is minimal. :( Hope this help :(

Icic.

When ya new fish passed away, any signs of infection on their body? CSI liao.

What kind of water ya using for the water change? :)

The last thing i suspect, could be the place where ya bought your livestock from, there is one LFS which I used to purchase fish from, and they dun really last long [last 3 mths...then KO]. heheee.

Personally, I also avoid some hard to keep fishes like moonish idol etc...

Hi bro ah lim,

the water I used is pre-mix type, and mostly the fish dead due to white patches or rot fin/tail which is more often occured on Angels. :unsure:

Are Angels really that difficult fish to keep, tink the longest one which is still ard is my Koran, other than him, mostly s you said KO. <_< I do keep Tangs as well but no doubt last longer than Angels but still ' up the car' :cry2:

The only fishes that since day 1 even bfore swapping are the PT, YT & Unihorn Tang which no sight of ich, parasite bla bla bla at all. :sick: Hai...

• SRC Member

Me currently keep 1 regal, 1 flame and 1 emperor, with my half-bucket way of keeping fishes, they doing quite well.

I suspect is where ya buy ya fishes. Personally, as due to my work schedule, I only buy fish from 2 place lately, AM and sealife, not that I'm promoting their fishes, but so far the fishes I bought from them are doing very well.

I have no experience in white patch, but for fin rot, I encounter this last time when I purchase a warrase in a shop in the east, and it have the fin rot. after 1 day KO.

Any others like to share their comment?

• 4 weeks later...

It's time to show you my tank then...this is my 5 month old FOWLR. :whistle

post-12121-1202133620.jpg

Reefing since 2003
 4ft x 2ft x 2ft Mixed Reef (BB):-
50 Gal Sump,

Apex Controlled System (Lab grade),
Deltec SC1455 Protein Skimmer,
Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,
Hailea HS-66A 1/4HP chiller,
TLF Reactor 150, running HydroCarbon 

And recently upgraded to 3' x 2 x 2.5 a week later. :upsidedown: (Surface too dusty, need to invest on surface skimmer soon) :P

post-12121-1202133814.jpg

Reefing since 2003
50 Gal Sump,

Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,

wah, ya lion would not eat ya boxer shrimp ??

:)

lol... no le... my boxer clean for him some more. Been together for nearly 5 months. :whistle

Reefing since 2003
50 Gal Sump,

Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,

• 2 weeks later...