bio home

eddy

I tried it on my 4 footer. Got 3 packs. Nitrates is high - about 30-40ppm. So if you are thinking of getting it to control the nitrate, you've got the answer. However, I'm not sure if the anerobic bacteria will develop at a later stage. btw, i have these in my sump for about 5mth.

Nope it doen't really work unless in DSB.

The claim by the manufacturer is that the bio home itself creates an anerobic environment so shouldn't need a DSB. Or you got more insight? Please share :)

Btw, bro Stormtropper, as far as i know(which is really limited) bio house is for nitrifying bacteria. ie it turns NH3 to NO3, but does it also help to reduce NO3?

cheers

There might be anaerobes present inside but definitely too little to be useful. Biohome is just a media for housing bacteria. What sort of bacteria is dependent on where it is placed. If the water has lots of DO, aerobes will form. If absent or very low DO, anaerobes will form.

For most ppl, an effective protein skimmer n WC will be able to keep the NO3 at bay. It reduces the waste n thus less NO3 will be resultant. Using biohome is normally meant for nitrfication .....this means nitrate factory!

• SRC Member

nitrate factory...not really for that. anaerobic bacteria needs porous material to thrive on and with good husbandry. it will removes nitrate too.

use with DSB. But DSB alone(6" to 7") with good husbandry will be able to control ur nitrate problem. but dun bother abt nitrate control first becos nitrifying reaction is more important as ammonia and nitrite are poisonious. biohome with DSB plus good husbandry is a good biofilter system. Cheers. :lol:

. X-Nature . Something Xtravagant for everyone .

links:
our website: http://www.xnature.net.tc
sgreef forum: http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=83

Providing premium delicacies for marine fishes and corals.

• SRC Member

The claim by the manufacturer is that the bio home itself creates an anerobic environment so shouldn't need a DSB. Or you got more insight? Please share :)

Btw, bro Stormtropper, as far as i know(which is really limited) bio house is for nitrifying bacteria. ie it turns NH3 to NO3, but does it also help to reduce NO3?

cheers

Hello there,

Bro fishchemist ....Bio home n Bio house as well was placed in d final stage of my filtration, d filtration cycle starts frm my overflow box onwards. NH3 which is ammonia is break up in d earlier stage of d filtration coz filter tt i used combined with mechanical filter n media tt r frm mother earth which is good in absorbing n as well removing ammonia.

by than when d water reaches d sump it will again b further break up with mechanical filter.

and finally when it reaches Bio home n Bio house d bacteria tt r in d media will only have 2 carry their job in terminating or reducing d NO3 effectively.

but of coz d mother earth media needs 2 b replenish every 2 months 2 b effective

in removing NH3.

i guess this my own theory of my way of doing filtration u could have a better way than mind.

:peace:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there,

Bro fishchemist ....Bio home n Bio house as well was placed in d final stage of my filtration, d filtration cycle starts frm my overflow box onwards. NH3 which is ammonia is break up in d earlier stage of d filtration coz filter tt i used combined with mechanical filter n media tt r frm mother earth which is good in absorbing n as well removing ammonia.

by than when d water reaches d sump it will again b further break up with mechanical filter.

and finally when it reaches Bio home n Bio house d bacteria tt r in d media will only have 2 carry their job in terminating or reducing d NO3 effectively.

but of coz d mother earth media needs 2 b replenish every 2 months 2 b effective

in removing NH3.

i guess this my own theory of my way of doing filtration u could have a better way than mind.

:peace:

Interested to know what is Mother Earth media that can reduce ammonia.

• SRC Member

Hello there,

its actually a dirt cheap media taken frm d earth but the capability of absorbing n as well removing NH3 is excellent.

go to 328 ask d lady boss n she will show u d packet stone for ammonia removal

bought it 4 $5 per pack use 3 packs everytime 4 myself.

n its not meant 2 b in the sump but instead in the overflow.

Goodluck.

• SRC Member

Hello there,

its actually a dirt cheap media taken frm d earth but the capability of absorbing n as well removing NH3 is excellent.

Goodluck.

• 1 month later...

Hello there,

Goodluck.

I think the packet stone should be zeolite.