new 3ft tank

Hi all,

I'm thinking of setting up a new 3ft x 2ft x 2.5ft tank with cabinet , sump and all neccesary equipments - for marine fish/live rocks/corals .

What is the estimated price and which shop is more reliable and price affordable?

I'm totally new in this hobby,hope more bros will advise me on these .

:thanks:

• SRC Member

think this question is very hard to answer...becos u must see the material..livestocks and alot of things...u can try asking around all the sponsor and shops to see the package.

they normally have package...

from thousands to ten thousands depending on wat u want...is everything is best...can be alot..

and must see wat kinda of tank...if u include CR, skimmer, FR, denitrator...blah blah...chiller...everything top-notch then can be really expensive..

the question u ask is too general... :lol:

. X-Nature . Something Xtravagant for everyone .

links:
our website: http://www.xnature.net.tc
sgreef forum: http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=83

Providing premium delicacies for marine fishes and corals.

Hi both!

thanks for the advise.

I think i just want a setup tat is good enuff for a reef tank.(meaning the fishes & corals / invertebrates can survive and live happily.

from what i read these few wks on reefing , i most probably need a tank with sump tank (cabinet) , protein skimmer ,pump, filter , lightings , thermometer , etc etc ?

Is chiller / calcium reactor / wavemaker neccesary?

and what others is necessary?

do u think $2k will be enuff for all these inclusive of corals/liverocks? :thanks:

• SRC Member

for a 3x2x2.5 overflow system wif cabinet, return pump, protein skimmer already cost u abt $1000 basedon hailea return pump and weipro skimmer..depending on what kind of equipments u want...

if u intend to use a better return pump(laguna) , it will cost u abt $400 additional..

plus if you decide to upgrade the skimmer to a more efficient one, it will cost u another $600+ or so.

LRs to fill up that tank size above i mention will roughly need abt 55kg. Fiji or indo rocks you decide...price varies....fiji cost abt $16/kg..indo u can get it at $8/kg..

corals depending on what you wan to keep..softies, LPS, SPS...

;)

u can try to lookout at the pasar malam forum if u are interested to get a 2nd hand set from reefers here...u can save up alot of $ from there.. :lol:

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member
any good/cheap marine fish shop around? :idea:

hi bro, get a set wif more reliable equipments, dun just look at the price tag.. ;)

it isn't worth to keep replacing ur faulty equipments frequently..

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

Thanks bro for ur advise. But from what i see, the chiller alone will costs >$1k . I did asked around for prices from 2-3 shops, was quoted $4k or so ..

didnt have so much budget for that. onli have $2k+ to spare inclusive corals+fishes . thats why the headache . :sick:

• SRC Member

i think its better to look for reefers that is decoming their tanks if ur budget cant go over 2k.

might take some times to get everything together but some ppl will sell their used gears for very cheap prices.

for the tank if u want a 3 ft with sump try asking glass shops for quotes its the cabinet that cost $$$ not the tank itself so if you are really tight on budget u might want to get one stand that is steel based or better no stand if u can find a furniture that you can convert.

• SRC Member

:lol: a nano tank is actually good...but i dun recommend or consider it cos u will find it too be too small in the future especially when u just start up in this hobby, u will soon be like "hey, this is nice. Get this. Hey. that one also nice. Get that one also." Then....hahaha... :pinch: no space le..

wat's the aspect of ur job in the first place ? if u dun have time for maintainence, a nanotank will be good.

But from experience, ppl with 3ft tank will soon change to bigger tank too... :D

the nanotank is a good idea but it depends on ur need and wat u want from the hobby in the first place.

If u just wan a touch of it, then a nanotank will do.

. X-Nature . Something Xtravagant for everyone .

links:
our website: http://www.xnature.net.tc
sgreef forum: http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=83

Providing premium delicacies for marine fishes and corals.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

well if u wan good LFS try and go to Tropical Fish Centre at Bedok North St 3.It is very near to the bus stop.It is the very first bus stop in Bedok North street 3 u see if u take service 225 white plate.Dun take green plate.After you drop you turn to your right and look under the blocks which have a lot of shops..There they onli sell soft corals and sea fan.Not a lot of marine fish there.They onli sell from wat i saw is rabbitfishes,butterfly fishes,ocellaris clown,banggai cardinal but i think finish already liao i saw 1 left,tomato clown and damsels.There you can make a good deal.They sell Red Sea salt is very cheap $15 for 4kg make up to 120litres of seawater.

girlone.png

• 8 months later...

heyys.

from what i know. if you want a cheaper tank. its best to go for a nano tank. which is somehwere about under 15 gallons. the equipment used for this will be way cheaper.

of course though, this will limit you to your choices of fish and corals and othere livestock. and this is almost more challenging as there is less water and so the water will have to be absolutely fabulously cleaned and mantained well. this might take up more of your time. if your serious about this, this wont be a problem for you. but if not stick with the big tank and fishes deserve a good life too.

plu remember, dDONT overstock.:)

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Maintaining good water parameters for small tanks are highly challenging. Slight 'out-of wack' parameters can throw the entire setup's balance off and wipe off all your precious livestocks.

I would suggest spend a bit more on proper setup. It will be lower cot over time (happier livestocks and without th eneed to replace them every now and then).

My 2 cents worth of opinion.

Maintaining good water parameters for small tanks are highly challenging. Slight 'out-of wack' parameters can throw the entire setup's balance off and wipe off all your precious livestocks.

I would suggest spend a bit more on proper setup. It will be lower cot over time (happier livestocks and without th eneed to replace them every now and then).

My 2 cents worth of opinion.

Also you can add lots of stuff inside, and the fish are more happier to swim with more space... :rolleyes:

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED