Fresh water dip

• SRC Member

I thought freshwater dips are only recommended when parasites are actually visible?

Anyway, on the topic...

my emperor angel seem to have 3 small little white balls growing on it. It kinda look like lint that collects on your black clothes. They are on its dorsal fins (2) and its left pectoral fin (1). There were actually 2 more on its caudal fin but they disappeared. I noticed them on Saturday... am quite clueless as to what to do.

I'm hoping someone had experience with this before and could provide some advise.

Is is a parasitic growth? Is freshwater dip advisable?

My young padawans...

FW dips are to osmo-shock and kill off external parasites.... it doesn't kill internal parasites like intestinal ones etc.

If you want to treat internal parasites... you have to feed your fishes with medicated food.

B)

• SRC Member

Thanks AT,

But medicated dip? What medicine would you recommend? Would I need to quarantine after medicated dip? How long? :unsure:

Well, except for those little lint like balls, he's alive and well. Behaving very normally. Still very active and has the usual gigantic appetite.

And yah, I confirmed what I said last night with my dummies... usually, when adding new fish, you either quaratine it in a separate "hospital tank" and observe if it behaves wierd. If everything is ok (including good appetite) then its safe to transfer. :rolleyes: But I am guessing not many people practice this.

FW dip is only for parasites that are external (ie: Visible) and won't work for internal infections. It should be a min of 3 mins and no longer than 10 mins. Also, it should not be 100% freshwater. A little of the tank water should be added to the FW to "reduce" the shock to the poor sick fishie.

• SRC Member

I freshwater dipped my clowns before due to 'ich'. Get the freshwater up to the same temperature and pH as the tank water then dump them in. They struggled for 5 seconds and after 5 minutes they are giving me the 'feed me' look. I left them in for 20 minutes and they are still alive today.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

i quarantine my fishes, but there was 2 occasions, my quarantine tank was fully booked n i cant tahan, lucky those 2 fishes r doing ok. But dont takes risks, i know a friend who dont quarantine all his fishes n he now have hell lot of problems.

What about to quarantine invertebrates to get rid of parasites? heard about it, but my quarantine tank dont have good light n chiler, how?