water gushed out from pump in sump tank

• SRC Member

hi,

i just set up my 4 feet tank.go ard to cleaning it n testing for leaks.

i got s* b**s to do the piping for the sump.

i got my rio 32 pump fixed up and filled the entire tank with water

next , the water ran down the sump - about half the sump was full of water.

next i switch on the pump and i got a shock...

water gushed out from the sump and flooded my hall....

does anybody have any idea whats wrong?i m at a loss

pls help!

Hi Marine12, can you elaborate more on what had happen? The pump you mean the sump tank or the main tank pump? The water flow from the main tank to the sump tank is via a pump or through over flow system? If you are using an overflow system, once you on the pump in the sump tank, it is not possible for the sump tank to be flooded. I don't quite get it from your post is that how come your water is flowing down to the sump before the pump in the sump tank is switched on?

For a basic setup, you filled your main tank to be just enough amount (same level as the oevrflow), then you filled your sump tank to 1/4 or 1/2 full of water, then you turn on your pump in the sump tank, and water will automatically flow up through the pump and down via the overflow.

• SRC Member

hi,

the tank has a over flow box n the return pump located in the sump is connected to the overflow box.i filled the main tank to the level of the overflow and filled the sump with 1/2 water.next i switched on the sump pump, water was sucked in in the sump and water flowed out of the sump. y ah?

• SRC Member

A brief explaination.

The return pump is connected to the return pipe and water flowing into the sump from the main tank comes out through the other pipe.....

Once pump is switched on, water in the sump is pumped into the main tank and will flow into the overflow box and out come into the sump through the other pipe.

Make sure all fittings are tight before turning on the pump.

Thats it...

• SRC Member
hi,

the tank has a over flow box n the return pump located in the sump is connected to the overflow box.i filled the main tank to the level of the overflow and filled the sump with 1/2 water.next i switched on the sump pump, water was sucked in in the sump and water flowed out of the sump. y ah?

Your return pump should be connected to your return line, NOT your overflow box.

Yes agree, the return pipe should be flowing into the main tank and not into the overflow box. If you flow it into the overflow box, then water will go down to the sump again. You should flow it to the main tank, then let water flows down from the overflow box automatically.