Emperor changing from juv to adult in captivity

• SRC Member

Hi

Any reefer has got their emperor transforming from juv to adult in their tank before?

Would like to find out as maybe getting an emperor just at the transition stage ( head juv, back adult)

Looking at it, think it's quite ugly... but if i really get it, will it change to a full adult in captivity?

:thanks:

4x1.5x2.3 home tank

6x2x2.3 office tank

• SRC Member
My emperor also changed from juvenile to adult in my 3ft tank. When I first got it in Sep 04, it was about 2 inch juv. It is now a fully grown 5 inch adult colouration since late last year. :-)

Mind to post a pic of the emperor?

4x1.5x2.3 home tank

6x2x2.3 office tank

• SRC Member
i heard those that transform in captive wont be as swee as those which transform in the wild. true?

true... what they eat in our tank and what they eat in the wild is very different....

• SRC Member

they tend to lose its vibrant colour in the tank after a period of time, but there are some that show more vibrant colour, i read it in a HK magazine this guy christmas island emp shows a slight purple which looks amazing.

• 4 weeks later...

Wild caught Emperor that exported from Christmas Island and a few location might have an orange tail or orange color instead of yellow. But sadly, those color would be fade away. I think that the source of an extreme color came from their food in nature.

My friends have been keeping a juvenile Emperor until it transform into an adult coloration. It took them around 2 years to be complete. In my opinion, the Emperor that go through transformation in an aquarium could be as nice as the wildcaught if provided with a good quality of food and regular water changes.