Tank Woes

Hi,

I have read through some of the tank set-ups, and most advice against the use of bio-balls which will cause a build-up of Nitrate in the system. Being cautious, I decided to revamp my sump. Removed the bio-balls, and fould a lot of detritus in it. The water got clouded for a few hours thereafter. I change my filter media (sponge and fine wool) and also at least 50% water change.

After this episode I found some of my sps to recede and some are struggling. The water looks clear and sparkly, but when a white strip of paper is placed in it, it shows a light tinge of yellow.

Please advise on what I should do.

Rgds,

DREW

• SRC Member
Hi,

I have read through some of the tank set-ups, and most advice against the use of bio-balls which will cause a build-up of Nitrate in the system. Being cautious, I decided to revamp my sump. Removed the bio-balls, and fould a lot of detritus in it. The water got clouded for a few hours thereafter. I change my filter media (sponge and fine wool) and also at least 50% water change.

After this episode I found some of my sps to recede and some are struggling. The water looks clear and sparkly, but when a white strip of paper is placed in it, it shows a light tinge of yellow.

Please advise on what I should do.

Rgds,

DREW

50% water change is too much...it will upset ur tank water condition..tt explains the damage for ur corals.. ;)

if the water is cloudy...allow the water to run for awhile...it will gradually turn clear..its gd 2 add some activated carbon for a short period of time...

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

Maybe it will be good to measure all major parameter again ;)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

Thanks for the advice.

Is it advisable to run activated carbon for long term, such as products like chemipure or Aquapharm water recharge? Will it affect the corals intake of nutrients and minerals such as Mg, Ca, Sr & etc?

Right now things seem to be stabalised.

i am running the two little fishies hydro carbon in the skimz FR and i change it every month .....

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

I find that the water is clear and sparkly with carbon. I stopped using Carbon for a period of 4 months, and the water had a slight yellowish tint.

Is there is any equipment that can help to keep the water in pristine condition? How about fluidised reactors with zeovit type of media?

I do a 20% water change weekly with fresh reef salt and additives also.

• 2 months later...

Just an update-

I have been using T5 HO and a fan for my tank. I have been testing different SPS frags for close to 6 months, to see if they can survive under such conditions.

I concluded that of all the SPS frags which are easily available, monti frags (especially the plating type) are able to survive under such conditions and propogate

Without high light output, corals in my tank start to stn from the base up. This is so, as the corals grows it makes it difficult for light to penetrate to the base. Despite placing these frags close to the light, it does little to alleviate the situation.

With regards to running activated carbon, I have been using Aquapharm Pur II, and I must say that among their product range, this by far is one of their best.

It is really difficult to keep SPS in a nano without chiller and high light output. Water flow wise, I believe it is sufficient in my tank. I have 3 outputs- 2x Seio M620, 1 x return flow from pump for a 2x1x1.5 ft tank size.

Also I'd like to take this opportunity to check if any fellow reefers have plating monti frags to spare?

Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks,

DREW