Help Again(pistol shrimp)

monathanJP

Hi guys need help again ,

I was wondering if pistol shrimp is reef safe as I hav 1 n Im wondering if I should put it in my tank. :erm:

pls help

thx :D

guess what .

this is the first exact question i ask when i join SRC .

the tiger pistol shrimps is reef safe=)

just that they like to barrow . some claim that their rockwork topple because of them. perfectly fine to have them in a reef them. :)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

Whatever it is, do not introduce a japanese pistol shrimp in your tank.

They grow really fast and are very inquisitive, making a snack of any invert small enough to catch. Sick fish stand no chance against them, no opportunity for treatement as the japanese pistol scavenge on weak fishes.

Body is greenish grey with a row of black dots along the sides.

Pistol shrimp normally eat small crustaceans in the wild. this would make them not entirely reef safe. I would imagine that the sound a pistol makes would be enough to stun a small fish (eg a neon goby) and the pistol may have its way with it.

Having said that, purely hypothetical, not from my own experience.

Pistol shrimp normally eat small crustaceans in the wild. this would make them not entirely reef safe. I would imagine that the sound a pistol makes would be enough to stun a small fish (eg a neon goby) and the pistol may have its way with it.

Having said that, purely hypothetical, not from my own experience.

Liveaquaria.com has rated Tiger Pistol, Bulleyes Pistol and Japanese Pistol reefsafe. They will not disturb coral and are perfectly to have in a reef environment. However their natural behaviour of digging might be disturbing to some reefer.

However exiled_infidel might have mistaken reef safe with fish safe. :)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

i only know peacock pistol shrimp can kill fish, dont know bout the rest. i have 1 in my sump local one not sure which type but besides the clicking sound at night it doesnt do any harm. i throw a few snails once in a while in there for it to go hunting.

• SRC Member

Previously i tried using a chopstick to chase it out of its home.

The biting effect on the chopstick i felt was strong. I would definitely not recommend one.

Best Regards,

Morpheous

==========================================================================================

My Ocean Pets:

Emperor Angel, PowderBlue Tang, Regal Angel, Teardrop Butterfly, Singapore Angel and Nemos

==========================================================================================

(Only when you guard your lips, you guard your soul....)

• SRC Member

Hi monathanJP,

Jus curious, why do u want a pistol shrimp? Not that they are terribly creature, but they will hide in their safe burrow and will not appear for you to see. Mayb occassionaly,u will see its antennas sniffing around, that's all. Or do u intend to match the pistol shrimp with a shrimp goby (like yashia goby, watchman goby etc)? Just very curious...

Anyway, personally, I had two pistol shrimps in my 3 ft tank. They came involuntarily hidden in the LR. Some ppl say pistol shrimps may disturb/kill inverterbates or fishs. But so far, there has not be a single case of death caused by the pistol shrimp in my tank. They are mostly scavengers, looking for left over food or help to 'finish up' the dead fish. BTW, the pistol shrimp I have is the green type, not those fanciful tiger pistol shrimp.

If you want one, U may try ur luck in purchasing LR (those rocks with many holes inside the rock). Chances are, u will find one inside. Hope that u don't get a mantis shrimp instead. Good luck!

• SRC Member
hey zappy ,

i jus wanted to see how they live cos i heard , like u said , they can be paired wif a goby. ;)

anyway zappy bro , thx for the link but the shrimp i tink taken liao. :D

they will build brurrow in the sand... if your rockscape is not secure enough prepare to have the whole scaping collapes... maybe not all at once... but bit by bit...you will see y suddenly your rock keep sinking into the sand...