Harlequin Shrimp Setups

Hi

Im returning to singapore at the end of the year (woot!) and couldnt help but do some reading up in anticipation.

(http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=58467) for background info.

Anyway, seeing as how harlequin shrimp are so cheap there (relative, the last pairs were AUD400 retail here), im thinking of setting up a small (2' or smaller) tank with some soft and LPS corals and a pair of harlies.

Just a few Qs:

After searching up threads, it seems people are reluctant to take any harlequin shrimp that are anything smaller than 'large' or Xlg in size. Why is this? (Just due to the standard delicate nature of smaller individuals? or is it particularly bad with harlequins?)

Also, has anyone had success with them in small tanks alone? Im probably gonna have just one piece of LR in the tank and cover that slowly with 3-4 nice sized corals (sinularia, sarcophyton, some LPS) so that the shrimp dont have a cave to hide in all day.

I will probably feed starfish (fromia, choc chip - avoiding hte linkias after what fuel and other people have said) weekly (try to get them to eat frozen ones).

do you guys think one of those internalised integrated filter skimmer modules that places like Jireh have for sale would be enough filtration?

(btw, how far is the west coast from the east coast cos apparently im gonna live on the east coast).

All help appreciated :thanks:

• SRC Member

Been keeping a pair previously for 2 yrs in my reef tank. From 1cm size grow up to 2inch++. They are fairly easy to keep in my opinion. But the cost of keeping them is rather high. Usually feed them sandshifter star ($3/- each) or Linkia ($5/- $8/- each). My pair don't like to eat chocolate chip star (think the skin is alot harder). They can usually finish 2 starfish within a week or so+. But you realise the cost of keeping them is high and sometimes you can't get starfish in the market. So what i do previously is to buy 10 sandshifter star at 1 go and keeping them in the sump tank incase i can't buy them off the market.

Understand ppl keep and froze them in the fridge but i don't like the idea of doing that..

• SRC Member

Also be mindful of your bio load. I had a pair a while back too and they have a habit of being messy and greedy eaters.

Eg, the pair will tear off a starfish leg and munch on it for a bit but after a while would leave the leg and go back to the starfish and tear another leg off...leaving the last leg to wander and sometimes eventually die off (pretty gruesome eh? :P)

Since you'll be keeping it in a small tank (mine was a 2 footer first then a 3ft), you have to be delligent in removing the uneater leg before it starts decomposing and causing spikes in your system. It's a messy job but that's the tradeoff in keeping them. :(

It helps if ur skimmer is oversized, that'll allow u some buffer on maintaining water quality. The other messy alternative is to keep the starfishes in the sump and cut off a leg and feed em every few days... :sick:

Good luck with it.

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

Hi

Thanks for the replies guys!

I was reading on this forum that people who've had experience with them dont suggest feeding linkias as they tend to decompose the moment one leg is being fed on. Sand sifters were also not good (but i cant quite remember the reason).

As a side note, $5-10 a starfish is nothing. The LFS here sells red line cleaners for $249 and blue linkias for $26.

I might try to get them onto frozen starfish (then i can start my own Frozen Starfish Diet :P ) just for convenience (plus i can feed htem only one leg at a time). Wouldnt want them to eat the whole thing at one time resulting in a lot of rotting. I might try to see if in the end i do get a sump, i will have the stars in the sump and rip off a leg each week or something.

Btw, 2" is huge for a harlequin! Do they ever get collected at that size?? Ive seen some at 1.2" and i thought that was a fair size. I myself would prefer a larger pair over a smaller one for the sake of ease of care (smaller everything tends to be more fragile).

Due to the nutrient load whenever they eat, i was thinking of doing weekly WC (possibly with NSW) to about 25% of the tank volume. Additionally, the nitrate tolerant corals (sinularia, sarcophyton, LPS etc) should be alright with the harlie feeding habits. (Was originally thinking of a more natural tank with pink seriatopora and pocillopora, possibly milleporas but theyd be too hard to keep in good colour).

How much do dendrophyllias cost in singapore? I havent seen any here in oz but the ones ive seen online are spectacular! Theyd be good cos theyre easier (and more worth it!) to feed than tubastrea genus.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

haha...toking abt harlequin shrimp..

i do see them around sometimes.

if u looking for one do let me know, so that when i see one during my shopping, i can get it for u. :D

as for starfishes...try to feed it with Nardoa or brittlestar..

becos both Nardoa and brittlestar tends to grow their leg back after it drops off..

and for brittlestar, the leg will still be moving even after u cut it off.

i still have one moving leg in my tank which just stays there alive. :lol:

Amzing isn't it ? haha...linkia will rot and died of necrolysis so no point getting one.

they are well-known to survive badly in captive.

sand-sifting should be okay but i think it's too small and recovery rate is kinda slow.

2" harlequin, i do see them around....close to around 25 to 30 per piece.

Cheers.

. X-Nature . Something Xtravagant for everyone .

links:
our website: http://www.xnature.net.tc
sgreef forum: http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=83

Providing premium delicacies for marine fishes and corals.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

bought mine from somewhere :P

compare with an aqua culture SPS frag lol

post-72-1182491771.jpg

6x2x2.5 FOWLR

Skimmer - Recirculating Custom Beckett Fr - Skimz Fr Return - OR6500/1262 Wavemaker - Tunze 6060 x 2 Light - 2x5ft FL Blue+White

Chiller - CL650

4x4x2 SPS

Skimmer - DeltecAP851 Fr - Skimz FR Return - OR6500 Wavemaker - 2xTunze wavebox +Ts24 Light - 3x250w MH + 8 ATi t5

CR - Deltec pF601s Chiller - Arctica Titanium Commercial Chiller

3.5x2x2 REEF

Skimmer - HnS150-2001 Fr - Skimz Fr Wavemaker - Tunze Ts 24 Return - 1262 Lights - Solite 2x150W MH + 4 Ati T5 CR - Skimz CR NR - Nr1000 Chiller - Arctica Titanium 1/5

Wow.. they are so beautiful..

Haha. btw.. i saw some harlequin shrimps for sale at Aqaustar at Yishun Blk 918 (i think). selling for $20 i think, pretty costly.

hope that helps. all the best!

Is this the place?

Aquastar Aquarium

Blk 625 Elias Rd #01-328 Elias Mall Singapore 510625

Tel : 6583 8313

Aqua Star Trading

Blk 934 Yishun Central 1 #01-53 Singapore 760934

Tel : 6759 3400

No More ......

Sea Life Aquarium

240 Balestier Rd Singapore 329702

Tel : 6256 4727

Still have 1 more but today not open...

Keep me posted for more!!! I'm still searching for 2.

Just got my Harlequin Shrimp from CF.... @ $25 each.. adult size... when i got back and found out that 1 of them is with eggs... anyone have any experience in breeding them?? My tank only have 5 ###### shrimp and 1 starfish... only live rocks and 2 worms.. nothing else ...

Yap manage to chat with her... but was in a rush, cause attending the National Stadium Party....

The blue starfish tat i got the 2 Harlequin are not eating them.... I wonder why??? Was thinking of getting another starfish just in case... dun want them to die of hunger....

Anyone care to advice?