Just an Introduction

First of all, im gonna admit that the title of this thread is a bit like a personals ad. Lol.

Im just finishing my final year in uni at the moment in Canberra (at the ANU if anyone knows where that is). At the end of this year, i make my long awaited return to singapore to do the big NS.

Ive been told im likely to enter the June/July intake for NS and would be put on some island somewhere for three months (forgive my ignorance, i have been out of the country for so long).

Anyway, im glad to be coming back (good to see harlequin shrimp wouldnt cost me $400 a pair) and hope to start a modest reef tank when i get back.

I understand that i wont be able to until i finish the three month stint on sentosa, but id like to try to get most of my hardware (and maybe cycle the rock) before then.

I dont know many people in singapore, and id like to get to know some nice people (and reefers generally rate high on that list). Also looking to start to get to know places to get the hardware.

Im not working now, and probably wont have any more than part time casual work when i get back, so saving money would be a priority.

I hope to get a nice 2-3' tank setup (with a cabinet and sump all set up) and pick up halides, skimmers et al in steps) and run a flubber based reef. Just in the planning stages yet, but im impatient and think that i cant ever plan too early, right?

Cheers all.

Mihkaail (Mika).

• SRC Member

hi.. firstly, wanna welcome u coming to the big family.

ok.. u will be posted to tekong for ur 3month BMT(basic millitary training) which my bro is going in during june.

and yes.. u can start to look for good deal now till the dae u come back to s'pore and start runnning ur tank while u serve the country. :)

there is alot of nice and good reefer in s'pore which u can cling on help when ever u are in trouble. i have a few gd reefer in mind which i think i will wan to state them here.

-kelstorm

-iantoh

-jervis

-Terryz

-decentkid

-fishtalk1517

-hammy

-and etc,

cannot rmb too much, as this few juz happen to pop by my brain and think that they are capable of providing u with lots of information. :)

recently there is quite alot of reefer giving up or going to serve ns with u. so maybe u can take over their tank or even get a new tank instead. :)

you can also pm me if u got any help needed.. :)

cheers,

Lorenzo.

Reefing is like a Relationship, Once you fall in Love with it, You will Love it for Life... :wub:

5a8bbdf6e2308_YUMA16.png.f2e17836611683574a142ad6fbd86466.png

Hi

Thanks for the replies people.

Okay, obviously i made a big mistake there. Tekong island, still not looking forward to it.

Im glad that (probably due to significantly lower prices of stock in singapore), loads more young people are online here. Just good to see more young people into reefing rather than drugs or whatever.

Rather glad that some reefers are getting out of the hobby (despite what i said, although for far more sinister reasons). Just means that i can get someones old setup :P

Although i do appreciate that, with a little searching, i could probably get someones entire setup (livestock and all) for a good deal if i wait long enough, i do think id prefer to set it up myself (despite my limited technical skills - it took me years to figure out how to open a coke can).

Im probably gonna look to get a 2-3' tank with a cabinet plumbed with a sump. Lighting i might try to get halides or T5s (how hot is singapore, do i really need a chiller if i run halides?) and put everything into the sump (although im told i dont need a heater there?).

I might also want to get one of these cool internal skimmer filter chambers that Jireh (how do i pronounce this?) has for $200 and put it into a small 2 footer to get myself a pair of harlies in a small display.

(Incidentally, ive read up on harlequin shrimp on this forum and it seems people are reluctant to take smaller individuals, why is this?).

Oh well, no point drooling over things i cant have yet.

Additionally, i will be staying on "Upper East Coast Road" when i get back (alone, most probably). How far is this place to good (ie decently priced) marine stores? Would be great to make friends on here so i can be shown around when i get time out from "The Island".

Cheers guys.

Mihkaail

(Mika)

Hi

I replied earlier but something happened and i guess the reply isnt here.

The jist of it:

Good to see many youngish people reefing nowadays (probably due to stuff in singapore being cheaper).

Might try to take someone's old setup (but i dont wanna take a complete setup, just cos i like to pretend to be independant and resourceful). Might try to get a 2-3' tank with a cabinet and a plumbed in sump. Might get halides (do i need a chiller if i have halides in singapore?) or T5s. (Do i need a heater for the nights in singapore?).

Alternatively, i might get a 2footer and get an internal integrated skimmer filter from Jireh (not sure how to pronounce this) for about $200 and keep a pair of harlies in a tank.

(incidentally, from searches on this forum, it seems that most people are reluctant to buy small harlequin shrimp, despite their relatively low prices, why is this?)

Im not looking forward to 'The Island', hope it wont be so bad. If im not wrong, you spend three months there then get to come back on weekends, right?

Ill probably be staying somewhere called "upper east coast road". Are any marine stores located nearby? (Good by my definitions = good livestock variety, good prices).

Would be great to find some friends here to help me stand up on my own feet when i get back; i barely know anyone in Singapour!

Hey there! If you'd like to meet up with some reefers, I'll be available too if I'm free.

Hope you have an enriching experience in this hobby here in Singapore :D

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

Hi Mika, welcome back to Singapore. looks like u've been away home for a LONG period. :rolleyes:

Well, jus near ur hse which is at Katong there, opens a new shop called the 'Aquamarin' LFS. Sells quite a variety of equipments and fishstocks too. And if u do venture slightly further away, probably abt 15 minutes ride from a cab, u'll actually be visiting a series of marine shops there too. Its situated at Pasir Ris Farmway. Abt 7 marine shops there, they sells from equipments to fishes to corals and fish food, etc.... :)

There are also occassions tat reefers here gave up their full set-up tank set due to many reasons. So do keep a lookout for it when u r back in Sing. But this hobby requires patience and lotsa of efforts, read ups and accumulations of knowledge :lol:

So when back, set up ur tank by stages and with patience. There's no such things as Ta-ta, jus bought over a full set-up from another reefer and here it goes. Reefing comes in stages n theres great joy in going thru the paces for reefing. U would learn many things as u goes along this wonderous hobby :D:lol:

rgds

Fishtalk

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

Hi

Thanks blueheaven!

Yes, i guess it is rather apparent that i have been away forever, isnt it. I hope i will learn to drive when i get back (are farms accessible by public transport in singapore?) rather than rely on public transport.

Please dont get me wrong, fishtalk, i didnt mean that id like to acquire someoneones setup to speed up the process, the reason why i wanted to do so was cos im not a very technically advanced person and it would be great to have most of the hardware all done up (ie just add water and cycle the tank).

I think ive done a fair bit of reading (although i can agree more can be done), im the type that does as much reading online as i can (and i guess could therefore appear a little bit like a freak). :D

That is also why i chose the setups i had in mind (either a flubber based mixed reef witha bunch of grammas or assessor type fish or a small habitat mimicking a small isolated patch of LR with some softies and LPS and harlequins as the main stars) - because ive had lotsa tanks with flubber before (and sps but i really dont wanna have a static display if im only having one tank), and ive read up loads on harlequins (long time wet dream of mine to get a pair breeding).

Cheers

• SRC Member

hey mika,

i'm currently staying in my dad shop, which is located at katong, which will be near to places u staying i guess.. do give me a ring, if u need someone to bring u around. :)

Lorenzo.

Reefing is like a Relationship, Once you fall in Love with it, You will Love it for Life... :wub:

5a8bbdf6e2308_YUMA16.png.f2e17836611683574a142ad6fbd86466.png

• SRC Member

Hi welcome,

Just a word of advise, there are some scam in the forum. Just be cautious of buying things from a few of them(the black sheeps). They are selling over-priced LS, etc. As you just come back and do not know the market price yet. So be cautious.... But nevertheless, there are still many helpful guys in here. Just need to keep your eyes wide and sharp...

Just as a side note, have found that theres an aquarium store in Geylang district. This is apparently near marine parade and therefore east coast (i think).

According to Wikipedia (the very trusted source it is :erm: ), it is a (legal) red light district. Does this also mean, as its name suggests, that its the village area of Singapore? Just an interesting thought.

• SRC Member
Just as a side note, have found that theres an aquarium store in Geylang district. This is apparently near marine parade and therefore east coast (i think).

According to Wikipedia (the very trusted source it is :erm: ), it is a (legal) red light district. Does this also mean, as its name suggests, that its the village area of Singapore? Just an interesting thought.

Not really a village, but rows of shophouses and private properties. But along the main street of Geylang, there are many coffee shop selling good food and its 24 hours. Can explore more when you are back.... :P

Sorry, i think my description of village wasnt very explicit.

Village (as in gay village) i meant referring to an area or suburb with a high proportion of homosexual people living of frequenting the area. Consequently this would mean lots of gay/###### oriented businesses such as clubs, bars, salons, eateries, bookstores, gyms etc in the area.

I guess i may have gotten it wrong this time.