New FOWLR

• SRC Member

Hi All,

I am planning to start a 4ft FOWLR.

Do you really need those high powered skimmer and chilller for a FOWLR setup ?

Request only people who have already kept a FOWLR to reply.

Cheers !

• SRC Member

so far i nv have any chiller n high power skimmer for my FOWLR.. onli one weipro 2012*duno right model anot and one Fan ..that can decease the lowest temp to 27 n 29 below..

stitched001ov7.jpg

Pisces,

If you are keeping a FOWLR tank, even an under gravel filter is fine. My previous set-up (75 gal) had a cheap skimmer and a cannister filter running together with an undergravel filter, with fans to keep the temperature down. My Yellow Tang and Emperor Angel were kept in that kind of set-up for more than 3 years, until it sprang a leak. My current set-up is 230 gal with a 4' sump. But to be honest, all the time when I was having the old set-up, I had often regretted not going all the way. So, do yourself a favour - get the best you can afford, if you are serious about the hobby.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hi pisces

I am having a fowlr right now. Equipments are just skimmer and UV. IMO, a powerful skimmer is important as for a fowlr, u will tend to overstock a bit... me too, cos can't control when u see all the nice fishes :D So when u overstock, NO3 will sure shoot up, then u will need a good skimmer to remove as much NO3 as possible.

Unless u think u are ok with minimum and small fishes like damsel or clown, then a simple skimmer will suffice.

:thanks:

4x1.5x2.3 home tank

6x2x2.3 office tank

• SRC Member

Hey.. I'm currently using it, so of course it must be good lah... :D

Jokes aside, although UV is known to have the ability to kill parasites, some reefers felt that it kills good bacteria as well. But i got this understanding that good bacteria are attached to liverocks and sand so they will not flow to the UV to be killed. But it's a difference in opinions i guess. So i think it's really up to you to try it and make a judgement for yourself. For me, I think it helps to a certain extent but not a full proof method against ich...

:thanks:

4x1.5x2.3 home tank

6x2x2.3 office tank

• SRC Member

Really depends on how many fishes you intend to stock your tank with. Suggest that you let the tank run only with live rock for a few weeks before you add any fishes. There have been setups which run the whole gamut of equipment, and others with a minimal amount of equipment. It'll be different if you intend to add corals later. This can become a very expensive hobby, so decide how much you can spend and stick to that budget, else it'll never end! Finally, the main ingredient that you'll need is patience, lots of patience!!!

This can become a very expensive hobby, so decide how much you can spend and stick to that budget, else it'll never end!

Yeah, very true. I keep buying and had exceed my initial budget liao. Will kiv the uv until the far future. :D