Tips on getting sunnies to open in the day

DeadmanZ

• SRC Member

Hi bros, i've bought a sun, but its only opening at 4am + (When all lights are completely off)!!I've moved it to a shady place with currents, I've tried feeding it cylopeeze in the day but the polyps are like only half open, and after awhile, it decided not to open.. i've even tried flooding my tank with cylopeeze and brine shrimps but still get the same result. Need some help and tips from experience bro here on training it to open in the day. Thanks Alot!!!

The best way is to take the sun out to train, rather than flooding the tank with food..

Take the sun coral out, place it in a container with main tank's water. Flood the container with cyclopeeze and stier it once in a while, wait the sun to open, then feed it mysis shrimp or brine shrimp, unfinish food use it to feed fishes or throw if too much..

Wet cyclopeeze is prefer, keep doing this everyday in day time untill the sun open up nicely.. after that you can target feed it in the tank with syrine using mysis or brine shrimp, the sun will open when they smell food, regardless of time :)

After which, target feed twice a week will do ;)

My sun open everytime when i feed my fishes or when they smell my hand :lol::lol:

• SRC Member

I've tried using the above method, but when ever i move it out of the tank into the container, the sunnie started to 'spit' out slimy things.. is this normal? or am i stressing it too much??? Thanks bros for the advises.. :D

It'll take awhile for the Sun Coral to fully extend ... it took about a week or so before mine fully opened. Try not to move it around too much (for now...) and once it's acclimatised they'll start to 'pop' out . That's when you start feeding each polyps meaty foods like Mysis shrimp, fresh shrimp, squid but make sure your skimmer is able to skimmed all the excess nutrients!!

BTW... why not post a pic or two of your Sun Coral...

Paul

• 1 month later...

hi guys. i just got my 1st sun yesterday. got a few questions to ask. hope u guys can help mi with it.

1stly, when u guys target feed, wat did u guys use as a tool to brin the food to the mouth? i used my hand but sum of the heads r just too small and i cant seem to bing the food to the mouth directly.

2ndly, for those very very small head, how to feed it? blend the food into paste? then wudnt it float around the water once i bring it into the water?

3rdly, isit a must to feed every single head? cause my sun is place in this depression from a liverock and sum of the heads r "behind" and i cant reach it.

lastly, i read that u guys feed cyclopeeze to make it open. live cyclopeeze? if yes, whr do i get it?

thks so much for taking the trouble to read it and replying.

• SRC Member

Well... 1st of all, sun corals or Tubastraea is hard to raise. This is because of the regular feeding that we must provide. Bearing in mind that continuous feeding will deteriorate your water condition. If you feed, how long are you going to feed polyps by polyps? :huh:

I feel that Super sun is easier and better because they open all day long and possible all night long. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I had recent try 1 SuperSun for a week. What I did was took the Sun out on to a container and but some Mysis/Brineshrimp in it. Put there for half to 1 hr with Air Pump circulating the water and the food.

It will feed and after 3 times, it start to open. I think this is the only way as it is very diffcult for Coral to hold on to any food especially if the internal circulation is strong.

My 2cents of contribution. ;)