Hi there...

Hi Guys,

Well met, excellent forum you have here, can't tell how many hours I spent here already but the information here is staggering.

Actually, I'm new to this hobby, and as like any other new hobbyist, I'm dying to dive into the action.

I know I know, read up, research.... research and more research. I'm all into that now. (Think I've read enough disaster related threads already)

Anyways, I'm thinking small since I'm still staying with my parents (ya...ya...ya), but my aparment is coming up the year after so I have some time to experiment before I go the full-nine-yards.

I'm conceptualising a budget-oriented, stage-based implementation of a typical marine tank setup. I figured that would assist most new acquarists, particularly those with a budget in mind.

(Actually, this is really my job, I design and develop training methodologies for professionals, so i thought might as well contribute)

Unless of course, if you think my focus is wrong, please let me know.

So, if you will, please provide any ideas that you may have.

Thanks.

Hi Rumour!

Welcome to the Singapore Reef Club! :)

Thanks for the compliments, we have only just begun! ;)

Anyway, I am going to be doing a series of articles on setting up a marine tank for beginners. I know there are many online articles on doing it as well as books but I guess many newbies lack the $$ or time or know how to search... and would prefer something with a local context.

I will not really go on a budget-oriented approach as I feel that it provides a false feeling of affordability, less than ideal short-term sustainability of livestock, and mostly feelings of regret later on. I'll rather go hard on providing the best equipment you can early on so hobbyists won't have to upgrade later as they find that their expectations increase, or wanting to keep more sensitive livestock as they advance in the hobby.

But I appreciate your contribution and from others too! There is so much to share in this hobby!

:)

AT

Fair enough, we don't want to jeopardise precious fish and corals which might be wasted due to that.

I have a question though, are the corals from LFS farmed or illegally plucked from reserves? From the looks of it, local authorities are restricting on Live Rocks as it is.

Its my understanding that in US, they only advocate purchases from authorised dealers (who obtain stocks from farms)