Help Required: white spots

Brownie

• SRC Member

Hi Hi....a newbie here and proud owner of a nano tank (1.5' X 1.5' x 2')

Just spotted some white spots on my mandarin and flame angel.

Introduction of Mandarin was 1 week and flame 2 days ago. Didn't manage to see any spots on the mandarin until yesterday.

How can we eradicate the spots, and what causes it? Tank Temp is abt 30 Deg C and the fishes don't seem stress.....still exploring the tank like never before! :P

• SRC Member

Nano tank set up for 2 weeks already....have yet to test any parameters as I dun have the Kit yet.

Could the parameters be out? Didn't add in the LS oe shot....bit by bit and I pour in live bacteria according to the recommendations.

Hmm........

• SRC Member

Bro,

2 weeks are too short for the tank to cycle and for the ANN process to fully complete. Further, water parameters needed to be tested first before deciding to add any fishes. And good testkits are a must in this hobby...at least for pH, A.N.N. (Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrate). Also check the SG.

l think most likely are yr water parameters that caused the ich/white spots. Both mandarin (eats mainly copepods) and flame angel (sensitive to poor water parameters) are not suitable at this early stage, esp water parameters unknown. Since u've already bought them, i suggest you quickly do a test on yr water parameters and dun add anymore fishes.

Do spend a little time to read more from books and forums, there are tons of useful info and discussions here to learn abt new set up. Any problems, can post here and i think reefers here will share some tips.

Cheers...

• SRC Member

Thanks pal...... The tips do help clear my ignorance on the importance of tank cycling. Had only cycled my tank for 1 week plus before adding life stock. An uncle at one LFS has advised 1 week should be sufficient before adding fishes....sigh.

Anyway hope my fishies can tahan till the water clears. :erm:

maybe you wanna pass your fishes yo a fellow reefer who has an established tank first.. then u can dun need to worry so much whether the fishes can survive.. cos i really doubt your mandarin can survive unless u manage to train tat fellow to feed on brine, mysis or pellets.. if not its gonna go very soon...

• SRC Member
Thanks pal...... The tips do help clear my ignorance on the importance of tank cycling. Had only cycled my tank for 1 week plus before adding life stock. An uncle at one LFS has advised 1 week should be sufficient before adding fishes....sigh.

Anyway hope my fishies can tahan till the water clears. :erm:

One week for cycling? Bro, l suggest u don't listen to that uncle anymore. His advice wld prob harm you more than good. Read more in SRC and other good forums wld prob be much better.

Yr tank is too new for the mandarin to survive unless it is already trained to feed on frozen fd or pellets. You may want to ask a reefer friend to house it for you temp or you set up a Quarantine Tank for the fishes first till yr tank fully cycled. They are also many ways to speed up the process in the link.

Happy reefing.

• SRC Member

1 week of cycling for tank... CAN, provided treated and matured live rocks, live sand and partially "old water" are used. THEN maybe chances of LS survival or settling in will be higher.

If everything from rocks to water are new, I also dun advise to put in fishes like Mandarin, Flame Angel in the beginning. Mandarin feeds on pods most of the time, even pellets trained ones too need to have "live" food as mixture.

Water temp and parameters are important too for beginners and for a new tank set-up. I only reduced my water parameters test to almost nil after my tank matured 2 yrs later. Nowadays I very much based it on fishes and corals conditions to watch the overall tank's health but I do make sure my chiller and skimmer are both working well and also regular replacement of Elimi-phos and filter wool (the ones that help absorb Nitrate, Nitrite etc.). I also do regular partial water change of 10-20%.

Happy reefing :D