Starter types

Hey I tried replacing the starters for my AquaSunlight HID/moonlight/actinic flourescents pendant and my 18 watt FLs doesn't fire up!

Noticed the old starter is labelled FS-22 (4 to 22w) 110v/130v single, 220v/240v series... Sylvania brand.

I have arcadia ones which are labelled FSU (4 to 65w) 220v/240v single, which don't work well (or are they old?)... one flickered...

... so I bought new ones from a hardware store and pop them in.. and it didn't work.

The ones I bought are labelled S-10 (4-65w) 220v/240v single...

Any electrical gurus here who can tell me what the differences are?

And are the FS-22 starters available in Singapore?

• SRC Member

i use them S-10 for tubes 15w,20w& 40w- ok for FL leh & run at least a yr.

i get those 22x kinds too when i get a new set- burn out fast though. Even melted one...hee hee

maybe u wanna try those blueish ones from LFS(they the same 65w but by phillips), i'm using 2 but i see no diff.

derf, dun get what u mean? are u using the standard black covers now wif a single FL tube? & u just want to change the FL tube or change to accomodate more tubes?

FYI- there'e a new elec starter just out in the hobby in europe,abt $300 for each. They can be programmed to come on or off over a duration of up to 30mins. act like Dimmers for FL

• SRC Member

bawater,

sorry, i know it doesn't really make any sense in my post. wat i'm trying to say is does the normal lighting hood supports the FL tubes for marine in terms of wattage or watever u mite call it...

the hood i hv holds 2 tubes....

• SRC Member
bawater,

sorry, i know it doesn't really make any sense in my post. wat i'm trying to say is does the normal lighting hood supports the FL tubes for marine in terms of wattage or watever u mite call it...

the hood i hv holds 2 tubes....

It should be okay if you use bulbs of exactly the same wattage. Not more or less, otherwise the bulb and the ballast (the funny metal box thing inside the hood) might be incompatible.

• SRC Member

yes derf, no problems in just swopping tubes.

but cause u using a hood- just make sure u get back the same size & yeh, watts.

u could just bring along one of your current tube just in case.

How big the tank?

Most probably u go for 1 white & 1x acitinic. depending on your watts(important to know light tube length in inches)- if u go to keong seong@havelock they have a list of prices & brands at the pillar just inside the entrance(next to the counter).

they even have 20,000k Sun tubes-

wat u heard: retrofit means customising ur hood-be it to accomodate more FL tubes or to use PL & increasing watts per gallon for the benefit & health of corals.

i need to buy another tube within the next few days(went aquamart but very ex$)- if u give me ur size i can chk the price list for u@ keong seong.

• SRC Member
yes derf, no problems in just swopping tubes.

but cause u using a hood- just make sure u get back the same size & yeh, watts.

u could just bring along one of your current tube just in case.

How big the tank?

Most probably u go for 1 white & 1x acitinic. depending on your watts(important to know light tube length in inches)- if u go to keong seong@havelock they have a list of prices & brands at the pillar just inside the entrance(next to the counter).

they even have 20,000k Sun tubes-

wat u heard: retrofit means customising ur hood-be it to accomodate more FL tubes or to use PL & increasing watts per gallon for the benefit & health of corals.

i need to buy another tube within the next few days(went aquamart but very ex$)- if u give me ur size i can chk the price list for u@ keong seong.

hey Bawater,

next time you go to Keong Seong can do me a favor and check out the prices of fluoro bulbs for 2ft hoods? Especially Zoomed 15 watt bulbs and is there a 2ft 20000k bulb?:huh: Thanks :)

I popped back the old starters and they work!

Seems like the change of bulbs work.. so its the bulbs... :)

Well... I can take my time to ask around when I visit electrical hardware shops.

:rolleyes: