• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member
the easier way is to choose henry food

hi cherm.

well i agree that hendry food is good but abit far for me leh.

i did used his food b4 and also premix like what im doi now for my previous 4fts fowlr. all fishes went crazy...heehee...but poor skimmer worked double hard.

• SRC Member

hi barnacle.

do we need to wash the mysis & brine shrimp? how to do that?

The "juice" from mysis and brine cubes can be quite high in nitrates. Better not to throw in the whole cube into the tank. Use a small net to sieve out the mysis/brine upon washing or soaking.

Bro, btw, you solved yr chiller setting problem? l suggest you try not to set the lowest and highest temp range too close. A 2 degrees range is ok for LPS. Less than 1 degree range will make yr chiller kicks in and out too frequently tt costs you more in electricity bills and harm yr chiller IMO.

• SRC Member

this is my personal opinion experience ;)

at the size and volume of your tank, temp rise will take sometime (few hours). my tank is at 3ft, with all the tunze, pumps i have... it takes about 2 hrs for temp to rise and chiller to kick in. the chiller chill 0.6 degree in less than an hour. that is why people always say the larger the volume of the tank, it is more stable in it parameters. it won't change much until sometime. don't worry about the fequence kick in of the chiller :)

age.png

• SRC Member

The "juice" from mysis and brine cubes can be quite high in nitrates. Better not to throw in the whole cube into the tank. Use a small net to sieve out the mysis/brine upon washing or soaking.

Bro, btw, you solved yr chiller setting problem? l suggest you try not to set the lowest and highest temp range too close. A 2 degrees range is ok for LPS. Less than 1 degree range will make yr chiller kicks in and out too frequently tt costs you more in electricity bills and harm yr chiller IMO.

hi underwater.

thx for the tips on mysis&brine. ill do the washing in future.

well as for the temp im not too sure how to do it despite after reading the manual.

will get my tank maker to show me.

wonder is 28c is ok for lps?

• SRC Member
this is my personal opinion experience ;)

at the size and volume of your tank, temp rise will take sometime (few hours). my tank is at 3ft, with all the tunze, pumps i have... it takes about 2 hrs for temp to rise and chiller to kick in. the chiller chill 0.6 degree in less than an hour. that is why people always say the larger the volume of the tank, it is more stable in it parameters. it won't change much until sometime. don't worry about the fequence kick in of the chiller :)

hi lobster.

thx for the explanation. may i know is your tank has full height cabinet like mine?

i noticed the chiller kicks in real often-that means temp raised in my tank fast rite?thats why it has to cont to chill to the temp that i set.

i think its auto kicks in if the diff is 0.3c eg i set temp to 27.5 and once it reachers 27.8 it will kick in and stop only at 27.3.

can lps tolerate temp at 28-29c?

imagine im only using t5 lights. can it be bcos my cabinet is full height thats why temp tend to rise faster? worse is when nobody at home we will close all windows and that will definately contribute to higher temp rising in the tank.

i dont even dare to add any lights in sump to work as refugium or grow cheato cos afraid of contribution to temp.

also i havent install my tunze wave maker.

• SRC Member

A small 8 watt light won't contribute too much heat. As mentioned, your chiller kicks in too often cos you have set the upper and lower range too close <1 degree right. For LPS, no need that sensitive. A 2 degree range is ok.

For my tank, my LPS are ok at a max of 29'c which i have set it as upper temp limit. You can set yrs at 28'c which is even better and the lowest temp at 26'c.

• SRC Member

there are one thing i have notice in your chiller set-up. you placed your chiller in such a way that the hot-air is blowing at your inlet/outlet pipes. since your pipes without any heat insulation, and hot-air being blowing at it, surely it i will take sometime to chill your water and temp rise in the short time.

another factor is that there is too much loss from your chiller pump (because of the height of your cabinet and tank). too slow the flow rate, chiller will kick in very often.

since you are keeping lps, you may set your temp in 1 degree diff. no issue. the advange of keeping in low temp is that it will slow the grow rate of the unwanted algae and higher level of oxyg for your fish and corals. so, you decide.

with the size of your tank, even with 0.3 diff, it should take sometime for the temp to rise while you don't have much of the heat load from your light.

age.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
there are one thing i have notice in your chiller set-up. you placed your chiller in such a way that the hot-air is blowing at your inlet/outlet pipes. since your pipes without any heat insulation, and hot-air being blowing at it, surely it i will take sometime to chill your water and temp rise in the short time.

another factor is that there is too much loss from your chiller pump (because of the height of your cabinet and tank). too slow the flow rate, chiller will kick in very often.

since you are keeping lps, you may set your temp in 1 degree diff. no issue. the advange of keeping in low temp is that it will slow the grow rate of the unwanted algae and higher level of oxyg for your fish and corals. so, you decide.

with the size of your tank, even with 0.3 diff, it should take sometime for the temp to rise while you don't have much of the heat load from your light.

hi loster.

thx for the advise. i put some plaster on the holes to prevent hot air being blown into the sump.

i was told for artica chiller the diff in temp setting is 0.5. meaning if i set to 27.5 it will kick in when tank temp reaches 28.

during hot season in sin surely chialat-pub bill. when chiller kicks in hot air can be strong and i got to on ceiling fan. otherwise sofa area will be like sauna.

maybe ill freeze few bottles of h2o and leave it in the sump to help cool down h20.

post-34-1191195237.jpg

• SRC Member

tank has being running for about coming3months. initially wanted to have only fowlr but after seeing some of the reefers beautiful reef tank either at home(victor) or office(earth/jojocute) and of course members tank in src i decided to go into lps.

it all started when my tank maker brought few pieces of corals to display since i cant hv fishes yet(cycling). ever since than thats it man kena hook..

post-34-1191195575.jpg

• SRC Member

Q: how often do we target feed prata? currently i only target feed with mixture of cyclop+brine+mysis+food fr hkg(not too sure the name cos everything written in chinese)

Q: will target feed often kill the pratas?

post-34-1191196243.jpg

• SRC Member

used to have this.. but after was told it can crash tank due to its toxic when die, asap i gave it away.

it boils down to the nature of my job so cannot take the risk cos if anything happen when im not in town thats it man....

post-34-1191197971.jpg

• SRC Member

simply loves anythi that has bright colour...but understand that this burger is not easy and not lasting... trying it out..

any recommendation that can add more colours to my tank?

post-34-1191198207.jpg