tank trouble

• SRC Member

Hi... i am :cry: having problems with my overflow box in my main tank,when the water is flushing down .... it very noisy and it also caused to produce lots of noisy+ big bubbling due to the fast water flushing down from the main tank's pipe to my sump.. and also caused alot of salt spray...

and main problem is the noise... and the big bubbling.... :sick:

Reefers out there .... what method or suggestions u all might have for me to solve this problem...

:thanks:

• SRC Member

Duruso pipe for overflow or add something to dampen the noise. For my case, duruso pipe slow the rate of down flow that in the end, I used layers of filter floss...

As for salt spray, use filter floss with string to wrap the pipe circumference so that the spray is very much trapped and flow down with the rest..... ;)

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member
Duruso pipe for overflow or add something to dampen the noise. For my case, duruso pipe slow the rate of down flow that in the end, I used layers of filter floss...

As for salt spray, use filter floss with string to wrap the pipe circumference so that the spray is very much trapped and flow down with the rest..... ;)

oooo the wrap around the pipe is a good idea maybe i should try never thought abt it ..

Btw me too have the gruggling sound , but i put bio balls , which i clean every once in a while by "stirring them" with a long rod to dislodge any detrius or food left behind .

6x2x2.5 FOWLR

Skimmer - Recirculating Custom Beckett Fr - Skimz Fr Return - OR6500/1262 Wavemaker - Tunze 6060 x 2 Light - 2x5ft FL Blue+White

Chiller - CL650

4x4x2 SPS

Skimmer - DeltecAP851 Fr - Skimz FR Return - OR6500 Wavemaker - 2xTunze wavebox +Ts24 Light - 3x250w MH + 8 ATi t5

CR - Deltec pF601s Chiller - Arctica Titanium Commercial Chiller

3.5x2x2 REEF

Skimmer - HnS150-2001 Fr - Skimz Fr Wavemaker - Tunze Ts 24 Return - 1262 Lights - Solite 2x150W MH + 4 Ati T5 CR - Skimz CR NR - Nr1000 Chiller - Arctica Titanium 1/5

• SRC Member

Doesn't that trap detritus? You will need to change very often...

Dr Jekyl, if you could post a pic of your setup, it would help others identify what could be improved in your setup to reduce the noise.

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

• SRC Member

If yours are without durso pipes like mine...(empty overflow box)

Just sharing my diy setup, but not sure if it's good for you.

i use a arcylic/plastic sheet (abt the same size of the overflow compartment) with holes and place it slightly below the top (supported by two thin glass strips glued on opposite side). The tank water will flow onto the arcylic sheet and the water will rain down through the various holes. (i saw a bro using 4 thin pipes on each corner to hold the arcylic)

But i have some bioballs beneath to cushion away more sound. To prevent the bioballs being stuck at the draining hole below, i use egg crate (longer than the overflow compartment size but same width) and elevate at an 45' angle to hold the bioballs. If you don't like bioballs as some say they are nitrate factories if not cleaned frequently, i think without them the sound should already been minimised.

Just another option for you to consider and try out.

• SRC Member

now temp using a old control piping to control the water movement through the pipe in the overflow box so that water flushing down to the sump is slower down abit and manage to raise the water level up in the overflow box abit higher than the pipe that is flushing water down to the sump, that it can stop the loud ###### air noise done by the piping in the overflow box and big bubbling in the sump.. but heard from some reefers is not a good idea that it might get stuck and water might raise and over flow my overflow box in my tank tank... what u guy think?

:thanks:

post-6-1190365415.jpg

• SRC Member

Even Hyde,

Hope that this can help you in solving the problem.

Part 1: Identifying your problem.

1418394082_67a94a620d_o.jpg

Part 2: Providing you solution. For you to follow up. Just a piece of advise.

1417512257_d2a77662fc_o.jpg

1154750779_a95e183733_o.gif

--Tank--

3.8ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft - 12mm(Main) Ñ„ 3ft x 2ft x 2ft - 8mm (Sump)

--Equipments--

Chiller - 3/4hp Pacific Coo Ñ„ FR - Resun FR Ñ„ Skimmer - ATI Bubble Master 250 - Reef Maniac 30" Beckeet Ñ„ Filter - Schuran Trickle filter Ñ„ Controllers - Aquatronica Advance Controller System

--Pumps--

Return Pump - Rio 24 HF Ñ„ Beckeet Pump - Resun MD55 Ñ„ Equipment Pump - Aquabee 3000 Ñ„ Wavemaker - Tunze 6060, 2 x Seio 1500

• SRC Member

yes you are correct. otherwise you have to judge accordingly then extend the hole till you dun hear the hissing sound

--Tank--

--Equipments--

Chiller - 3/4hp Pacific Coo Ñ„ FR - Resun FR Ñ„ Skimmer - ATI Bubble Master 250 - Reef Maniac 30" Beckeet Ñ„ Filter - Schuran Trickle filter Ñ„ Controllers - Aquatronica Advance Controller System

--Pumps--

Return Pump - Rio 24 HF Ñ„ Beckeet Pump - Resun MD55 Ñ„ Equipment Pump - Aquabee 3000 Ñ„ Wavemaker - Tunze 6060, 2 x Seio 1500

• SRC Member

Hyde,

If you wan to do some DIY. THis might help you out a little

post-6-1190421971.jpg

--Tank--

--Equipments--

--Pumps--

• SRC Member

glad that your problem is solved.

--Tank--

--Equipments--

--Pumps--

• SRC Member

Doesn't that trap detritus? You will need to change very often...

Dr Jekyl, if you could post a pic of your setup, it would help others identify what could be improved in your setup to reduce the noise.

ya... that's what I want, the most economical method for filteration.... trapping the big debris.... change it every 2- 4 weeks when I do my water change :D

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm