carbon in fr

kevin33868

Just like to check, in this case how fast should the media in the FR be replaced since I understand that carbon should be changed on weekly basis and PO4 media on 2-3 month basis?

Hi bro,

It very difficult to determine when you need to change you carbon due to the below reasons:

1) Carbon adsorb nutrients. Meaning nutrients will gather or accumulate on the pores of the Carbon, trapped and remove by hobbyist when changing media. This process is passive and is dependant of external factors.

2) Individual tank conditions differs due to the water, additives, food, ozone,, medications and waste introduced into the water column.

3) Different grade and size of carbon used.

4) Placement of carbon, whether in FR or just in a bag that is throw into a cornaer of the sump.

5) Once the pores in the carbon is blocked due to saturation it will no longer be effective.

As carbon adsorb odours, colours and some dissolved impurities. Some reefers will check on samples of the water weekly over a white background, once they discover a yellowing of the water - its time to change carbon. But generally most reefers will change their carbon during their weekly water-change.

HTH

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

Use to dump my carbon in the sump in 1 of the compartment n been doing tt for quiet sometime but began to realised tt its effectiveness not to the fullest of its capability in removing wat it suppose to.

The yellow tint starts to appear fast than i expected coz its only laying at the bottom of the sump n not exactly where by not all the water is passing through it.

So got myself FR n place d carbon by stacking up 1 by 1 of coz d carbon is in d bag itself. Running it with a slow flow n clearly shown tt its effectiveness in removing d yellow tint really improved water gets clearer.

D only way tt i think of is tt water passing through it eventually got clean up rather than laying it flat at the bottom. :peace: