5ft reef tank planning - Part 1

Hi Bros and Sis,

I am planning to set up a 5ft x 20' x (?).

This Part 1 will be on gathering of ideas / suggestion and comments on setting up.

Feel Free to give any comments and suggestion. (wanna do it right)

I have a constraint on my exisiting cupboard 5ft x 20' x (?)

(?) = still not sure what is the best height

any comment and suggestion on the height?

i will post up images later when i got the camera where the reef tank gonna be.

Regards

Softice

• SRC Member

hi softice.

well i would propose 2fts height. if you go for more than that u will face problem in reaching the bottom part or worse the back of tank.

common term used "back breaking" experience during scaping or maintanance time.

during my planning stage i had the intention to hv 2.5fts height but lucky me after advise from my tank maker i chg to 2fts. despite this height i still need a ladder to reach the bottom cos of the height of my cabinet.

go to members tread to see their tank design and get some ideas from there. but of course a reputable tank maker makes lots of different.

good luck..

• 6 months later...

As my place is already furnish with some build furniture and i could not re use this altar, i intend to modified it to hold my 5FT reef tank. (not sure if its cheaper to actually demolish away and rebuild or just to modified it and re laminate or paint over. :blink:

Attached image below is where when one open the entrance door - if plan properly i think will be quite nice :idea:

1. Not sure possible to use the existing structure to accomplish this project not.

might need carpenter or engineer comment??? lol

2. meantime i am still considering what Mag have comment on the 2.5FT high or 2FT high.

if 2.5FT high - that will mean i will no need to bend down to look at the display as 2FT is abit low and proportion is a little concern here for me.

3. How many MH light will i need for such reef tank??

4. The dimension is approximate 1580mm (L) x 480mm(D) x 600mm or 900mm(H)

Regards

Softice

post-4948-1208359231.jpg

As my place is already furnish with some build furniture and i could not re use this altar, i intend to modified it to hold my 5FT reef tank. (not sure if its cheaper to actually demolish away and rebuild or just to modified it and re laminate or paint over.

Attached image below is where when one open the entrance door - if plan properly i think will be quite nice

1. Not sure possible to use the existing structure to accomplish this project not.

2. meantime i am still considering what Mag have comment on the 2.5FT high or 2FT high.

if 2.5FT high - that will mean i will no need to bend down to look at the display as 2FT is abit low and proportion is a little concern here for me.

5. How many internal overflow do i need?? (thinking of creating 1 internal overflow on the right hand side near to the window as the 2 carbinet door below will be my sump and chiller??? kinda tight actually.

6. what size chiller needed for such tank??

Regards

Softice

post-4948-1208360714.jpg

post-4948-1208360834.jpg

Looking at your existing cabinet, am not sure if it's strong enough to handle the load of a 5footer (x 2' x 2'). Besides, it needs to have a proper weight distribution. Don't believe everything you read in the forum, or from your friends... speak to a few tank makers, get their opinions and suggestions.

On the other hand, speaking from personal experience, unless you have exceptionally long arms, do not even think of anything more than 2'. I had very terrible backpain lately after doing 3 scaping in 2 weeks. It is realllllllllllllly, back-breaking experience. And my tank's a 2f height as well.

With a properly designed cabinet, you should be able to get the proper 'balance' that you need.

The remaining height keep it as ventilation/heat dissipation for your MH.

How many MH do you need? strictly speaking... none. It depends on whether do you want fowlr or mixed reef.

If the latter, than based on 5', i think you'll need about 2 or 3 units.

If space allows, try to do an External Overflow System (EOS), this will ensure eaiser scaping.

But one thing you should not forget, is that when you tank goes bigger, equipment also go bigger. Thus the sump space that you've allocated, is grossly insufficient. How about your skimmer? do you wanna put insump or outsump? Looking at the tank volume, you may need a skimmer that's really TALL and big.

Chiller, hmm... i believe a tank of your size, will need a 0.5hp to 1hp chiller. Do you want to put your chiller in the cabinet? My suggestion is to leave it out, unless you have fans to help with the build-up of super hot air.

Hope this helps.

As my place is already furnish with some build furniture and i could not re use this altar, i intend to modified it to hold my 5FT reef tank. (not sure if its cheaper to actually demolish away and rebuild or just to modified it and re laminate or paint over.

Attached image below is where when one open the entrance door - if plan properly i think will be quite nice

5. How many internal overflow do i need?? (thinking of creating 1 internal overflow on the right hand side near to the window as the 2 carbinet door below will be my sump and chiller??? kinda tight actually.

6. what size chiller needed for such tank??

Regards

Softice

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
2.5 feet height to 3 feet is the best

just use ladder

higher is nicer, plus sump you can use taller skimmer :)

Hahaha...higher the better. when it comes to maintenance....

the taller it is, the strong ur light will need to be. if u using MH, u will need stronger watt to penetrate the water or T5 will not be strong enough. the stronger the light, the more u pay for lights and more labour for u to do.

another reefer was keeping 2.5ft height but is changing to 2ft height for these reasons. sps very hard to get enough light at the bottom.

just my 2cents.

Higher of course nicer but when come to maintenace you will break your back.

2 ft is already hard to reach the tank base.

19 inch is perfect.

But if you prefer higher than go for 3ft.

Then go inside the tank to do your maintenace like the public aquarium

The choice is yours

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comment Bros and Sis,

Really head ach in planning this out... any idea who can i talk to - to see if my exisitng cabinet can hold the 5ft tank (with or without modification are oki with me)

I need to have a rough idea on the cost of the tank and the cabinet if modification needed.

(Will tank break easily?? afraid hahahah)

This 5ft will be a reef tank (i stay in the north - Yishun)

Thanks

Regards

Softice

• SRC Member

:unsure: To avoid possible headaches & heartaches later on...Rebuild ya cabinet specially to support reef tanky. Don't take chances. U dun wan to 'wake up' ya neighbors. :eyebrow:

Thanks for all the comment Bros and Sis,

Really head ach in planning this out... any idea who can i talk to - to see if my exisitng cabinet can hold the 5ft tank (with or without modification are oki with me)

I need to have a rough idea on the cost of the tank and the cabinet if modification needed.

(Will tank break easily?? afraid hahahah)

This 5ft will be a reef tank (i stay in the north - Yishun)

Thanks

Regards

Softice

so i need to call tank maker first or carpentry first??? anyone have any contact??

Thanks in advance.

Normally tank maker make and design cabinet for the tank also

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016