cyclop-ezze

alasak1

• SRC Member

Today, I saw some shop actually repack the cyclop-eeze to sell. Once open, there will be a shelf life. The cyclop-eeze will turn bad is just left on shelf(repack version). Cos its no longer vaccum sealed.

Shops like reborn, WC sell them.

Wei :)

Came across shops selling repacked deep frozen cyclop-eezein small plastic tupperware between S$8 to S$10, and those freeze dried in small containers (those containers usually for plums) for S$10. How interesting, very smart money making ideas!

Regret not getting those 400g big cans so I can also repack and sell. :lol:

• SRC Member

Too bad the repack version will have a shelf life since its not vaccum seal anymore.

I ask the Argent guy before. They dun allow repacking of their product. If they know, probably the distributor will come in to stop the sales of repack cyclops.

Wei :)

You have a point there about re-packing but the cost of the original cyclop-eeze is so high...and those fellows in Argent are not targetting the aquarium market here..too small perhaps? ....they have good products but don't sell to public, saw the frozen version at Aquarama and asked them but they just blurted "its reserved!" and waved me off... and the product is not like dog or cat food fed a can each meal, the same thing happens when you open each 50g can...as long as you keep it sealed and tight, shelf life should last for a couple of months.

• SRC Member

from a decent LFS:

insider info says ornamental constitutes less than 1% of argent's biz.

the rest are aquacultures. the deep frozen is vacuum sealed for immediate

applications (farms have alot to feed). there is a question of contamination

by moisture(water) upon repackaging. the US users reckon its negligible on the

freshness issue as long as it is not over thawed. a good check tip is your

repackaged cyclops should come in nice small cubes/blocks, suggestive signs

that they were partitioned from the huge slab without much prolonged thaw time.

those repacked drieds must be from those 500g milo tins during aquarama.

to play wise, the drieds should be refrigerated(chilled) once opened.

my frozens looked good at the LFS. but they always suffer from minor thawing

effect upon reaching home. if only they could provide some ice (i.e DT aquarama)

for that bit of placebo effect.

I personally dont think the original price of cyclop-eeze is high, looking at their online prices. For example a 30g freeze dried can retails between S$12 to S$15 here. If you were to compare it with those repacked small bottles which is just a fraction of 30g and selling at S$10, isnt that expensive!

Looking at the online pricelist on Argent's website, frozen packs are selling US$175 for a box of 8 packs. That works out about S$310 and each pack will cost about S$39. (All before freight which you can add about S$10 to S$15 for the whole box). Now again look at what the repacks are selling for. A small tupperware cost between S$8 to S$10. Well I must say thats expensive!

Not to mention repacking causes the product to deteriorate without proper repacking skills or technology.

I guess those Freeze drieds can last a few months the most, but for the frozen ones I dont think they can last that long after you unfreeze and freeze them again. All the nourishment that we paid for will be gone during this repeated freezing process.

Just sharing my opinion lah.

• SRC Member
I personally dont think the original price of cyclop-eeze is high, looking at their online prices. For example a 30g freeze dried can retails between S$12 to S$15 here. If you were to compare it with those repacked small bottles which is just a fraction of 30g and selling at S$10, isnt that expensive!

Looking at the online pricelist on Argent's website, frozen packs are selling US$175 for a box of 8 packs. That works out about S$310 and each pack will cost about S$39. (All before freight which you can add about S$10 to S$15 for the whole box). Now again look at what the repacks are selling for. A small tupperware cost between S$8 to S$10. Well I must say thats expensive!

Not to mention repacking causes the product to deteriorate without proper repacking skills or technology.

I guess those Freeze drieds can last a few months the most, but for the frozen ones I dont think they can last that long after you unfreeze and freeze them again. All the nourishment that we paid for will be gone during this repeated freezing process.

Just sharing my opinion lah.

my gang of reefers wanted to order the 8-pack box from argent.

you will be amazed by the express freight for frozen products. you will

need to order plenty boxes to justify. door to door around SGD 80 per slab

for 8-in-box.